• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Buying first pair of skis for one ski quiver

mgmm

Diva in Training
Hi everyone, first time poster here :wave:

I started skiing last year for the first time as a 29-year old with my partner who is a lifetime skier and I am absolutely hooked. I'm an athletic petite person (154cm, 125-130lbs) and a level 6 skier in the PNW. I got season rentals this year after a miserable time with boots not designed to fit large calves. A guy at a local ski shop set me up with boots 2 sizes too large to accommodate my calves (I didn't know better at the time--I was just happy my calves weren't sad, y'know?) and Nordica Wild Belle 74 (138 cm). I got 6 very fun days in with this setup even though, and have worked up to carving and going down some black and off-piste runs. For now, about 80-20 groomers to off-piste on blue terrain and I'd like to venture more off-piste as I get more confident on skis. With end of season sales at local shops, I decided to go to a proper boot fitter and got magical boots that *actually* fit my flat, wide feet and wide calves.

Now, the obvious next step: skis. I'm looking for all-mountain skis for a one ski quiver that will last me ~10 years as I will likely only ski up to a dozen days a year and I'm a bit of a minimalist with limited storage space at home. I paid for demos at Crystal this past Saturday, and since it's so late in the season the only skis they had appropriate for my height and ability was an Armada Reliance 88 at 160cm (no typos here). Having never skied anything wider than 70s and longer than 144cm before, the first few minutes on the demos were interesting to say the least... but after getting a hang of it, I was able to get the skis on edge pretty effortlessly, maneuver the skis exactly where I wanted to on bumps, and I felt confident going faster on these on end-of-day choppy snow than the Wild Belle. Part of that might have more to do with the fact that my boots actually fit me. In any case, I had fun, but I felt like they were too stiff and not playful enough for me.

Prior to demoing the Armada, I'd been recommended the Elan Ripstick 94 w as well as Salomon QST Lux 92. After demoing, reading countless reviews, and poking around on soothski.com, I'm pretty convinced these lighter, flexible skis will be more my speed. I'm leaning toward the Ripsticks as I feel more excited about their potential versatility. (Side bar: I know in the back of my head that these two skis will be pretty similar in terms of flex/fun/versatility, and in theory, I should be able to ski any pair of skis in any condition with good enough technique.) Sadly, I can't demo either of them before the end of the season, and based on some quick number crunching, buying skis/bindings with the end of season sales is more cost effective than waiting to demo next season as resorts are sometimes not open before the sales ahead of the winter holidays... So I guess I'm here to ask for your thoughts and perhaps, affirmation: should I just go for the Elan Ripsticks?? And if yes, should I go for the 154cm or go even longer with 162cm? I read everything I could about ski mechanics and how specs affect stability, maneuverability, etc, and have read that the Ripsticks have a short effective edge, so that's why I ask about ski lengths even longer than the demos I tried. I'm also hoping the bit of length will make it a tad bit more stable and floaty in powder without compromising too much on nimbleness, especially given my weight.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey, we ski the same mountain! And i feel you on the lack of demos our size at Crystal. I bought the shortest/narrowest demo combo they had - the Volkl Yumis in 154, just a couple of weeks ago! So to clarify, have you or haven't you demoed both the Elan Ripstick 94 w and the Salomon QST Lux 92? Because you say you haven't skied anything wider than 70s and both of those are going up a lot. Is it because you want to focus on off piste?

I was thinking you might want to stick to the mid-80s, unless you felt the Armada wasn't wide enough? That said, I think the Ripsticks are a very playful ski, my good friend loves moguls and skis the 88s.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here are others I'd think about @mgmm, if you are looking for other options. I'm basing this off 80/20 split you gave, but you also wanting to make that 20 a bigger percentage off piste.

K2 Mindbender 89ti:

Nordica Santa Ana 88:

Sheeva 9:

I do have the Blizzard Pearl 88 in 147 that I find too stiff for me, but I think you are more advanced. I know the season is coming to a close, but if you want to try them, maybe we can work something out. I won't be at Crystal this weekend as we are driving out to Mt Bachelor, but I so plan to be there the Saturday after. I dunno what your BSL is since these aren't demo binding, but I think they have and 20mm of adjustment? My BSL is 272.

PS: If you worked with Lucia at the demo counter, she loves the Mindbender. I'd be remiss not to recommend it after her singing praises about its playfulness. She also likes the Sheeva!

mgmm

Diva in Training
Hehe hello! I reread what I wrote and I made that very unclear... sorry!!! No, I did *not* get to demo the Ripstick or the QST Lux 92. When I said "after demoing," I meant after demoing the Armada Reliance 88, 160cm. So, to clarify:

Year 1
- handfuls of standard rental skis from 135-144cm, width in 70s: good stuff for learning to ski!

Year 2:
- Nordica Wild Belle 74, 138cm (season rentals): lots of fun, getting comfortable and having fun with carving, starting to go off piste. Feels unstable going fast for me, so I make lots of quick turns to control speed on these.
- Armada Reliance 88, 160cm (demo): huge jump here. After brief adjustment period, had a good time. Was able to drive the skis where I wanted to go, could carve nicely, and enjoyed being stable at speed. Felt stiffer than I want.

My goal is to buy skis to grow into and be happy with when I'm a stronger, confident, advanced skier. I'm considering the 90s range as I eventually want to ski with my partner in her preferred terrain, which are bowls, chutes, fresh powder off-piste, and trees. The Armada was good overall and floated well on untouched snow (I mean... compared to my season rentals, pretty dramatic difference there), but frankly, I'm not sure I could judge how appropriate the width was for me when these skis. The Armadas have longer than average effective edges, and were probably at the limit of my skiing ability in terms of length. My friends and partner were all surprised I was able to ski those with no problem, and honestly, so was I.

I compared the specs on the Wild Belle and the Reliance on soothski after I got home from skiing and the specs confirm my experience in terms of flex/stability related specs. Then I compared those to the Ripstick and QST Lux to get an idea of where they land, which is how I came to the conclusion that I could probably ski 90s without much trouble, and that they'd both be nimble and fun. (Caveat: smallest size for Wild Belle on soothski was 150cm so I had to extrapolate...)

In an ideal world I would spend more time demoing skis, but my budget says maybe not :( @TiffAlt your offer to let me try your Blizzard Pearl is really generous! My BSL is 275, so that might actually work if I'm able to make it the Saturday after.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hehe hello! I reread what I wrote and I made that very unclear... sorry!!! No, I did *not* get to demo the Ripstick or the QST Lux 92. When I said "after demoing," I meant after demoing the Armada Reliance 88, 160cm. So, to clarify:

Year 1
- handfuls of standard rental skis from 135-144cm, width in 70s: good stuff for learning to ski!

Year 2:
- Nordica Wild Belle 74, 138cm (season rentals): lots of fun, getting comfortable and having fun with carving, starting to go off piste. Feels unstable going fast for me, so I make lots of quick turns to control speed on these.
- Armada Reliance 88, 160cm (demo): huge jump here. After brief adjustment period, had a good time. Was able to drive the skis where I wanted to go, could carve nicely, and enjoyed being stable at speed. Felt stiffer than I want.

My goal is to buy skis to grow into and be happy with when I'm a stronger, confident, advanced skier. I'm considering the 90s range as I eventually want to ski with my partner in her preferred terrain, which are bowls, chutes, fresh powder off-piste, and trees. The Armada was good overall and floated well on untouched snow (I mean... compared to my season rentals, pretty dramatic difference there), but frankly, I'm not sure I could judge how appropriate the width was for me when these skis. The Armadas have longer than average effective edges, and were probably at the limit of my skiing ability in terms of length. My friends and partner were all surprised I was able to ski those with no problem, and honestly, so was I.

I compared the specs on the Wild Belle and the Reliance on soothski after I got home from skiing and the specs confirm my experience in terms of flex/stability related specs. Then I compared those to the Ripstick and QST Lux to get an idea of where they land, which is how I came to the conclusion that I could probably ski 90s without much trouble, and that they'd both be nimble and fun. (Caveat: smallest size for Wild Belle on soothski was 150cm so I had to extrapolate...)

In an ideal world I would spend more time demoing skis, but my budget says maybe not :( @TiffAlt your offer to let me try your Blizzard Pearl is really generous! My BSL is 275, so that might actually work if I'm able to make it the Saturday after.
soothski is like a rabbit hole isn't it?!

I'll be honest with you, I feel I bought the BP88s too quickly and they hindered me a bit because I have trouble bending them onto edge. They want to go faster than I do right now, but they need the speed to perform well. Otherwise they feel like ungainly planks to me. So yea, when I learned to short turn and not dive bomb everything, it became apparent that these were not the ski I needed right now.

That said, you might be able to benefit from them and if I can help you get another data point in, I want to help a fellow diva out! I'm not saying the 90 waists are wrong for you, but I think it's hard to really extrapolate what may or may not be data that is relevant to you when you haven't really skied any other skis close in width, save the one day Armada demos that were taller than you, lol.

Look, my learning kinda slowed with the BP because they were too much for me. When my husband and son surpassed me, I honestly started to wonder if I was just not cut out for this (don't worry, I obviously ran like a bull head first through that doubt, STILL HERE). So I finally stopped the stupid overthinking and just demo'ed my Yumis (match made in heaven). Getting to the point, I just don't want you to lose confidence jumping to potentially too wide skis. That said, you sound very capable, I mean you skied a ski 6cm taller than you like a boss!

I'd caution you not to write the Armadas off as too stiff just yet as you skied a very tall length. The longer the skis, the stiffer and harder to bend I think they'd feel. You might just need a better length for you. You sound like you are looking for a more freeride oriented all-mountain ski, and those usually have more rocker. The more rocker, the shorter it skis so you'll be able to ski them in a longer length. It also sounds like you are just ready to go up in length period if the shorter skis are getting chattery for you, so don't be scared there. Maybe don't make the 160 a data point just yet though, lol. I think the 154 you suggested + or - a few cms for the ski sounds reasonable!

And how about this? I'll message you when I get back from Mt Bachelor and if you still want to try them out, we can arrange to meet at Crystal, ok?

Last edited:

mgmm

Diva in Training
soothski is like a rabbit hole isn't it?!

I'll be honest with you, I feel I bought the BP88s too quickly and they hindered me a bit because I have trouble bending them onto edge. They want to go faster than I do right now, but they need the speed to perform well. Otherwise they feel like ungainly planks to me. So yea, when I learned to short turn and not dive bomb everything, it became apparent that these were not the ski I needed right now.

That said, you might be able to benefit from them and if I can help you get another data point in, I want to help a fellow diva out! I'm not saying the 90 waists are wrong for you, but I think it's hard to really extrapolate what may or may not be data that is relevant to you when you haven't really skied any other skis close in width, save the one day Armada demos that were taller than you, lol.

Look, my learning kinda slowed with the BP because they were too much for me. When my husband and son surpassed me, I honestly started to wonder if I was just not cut out for this (don't worry, I obviously ran like a bull head first through that doubt, STILL HERE). So I finally stopped the stupid overthinking and just demo'ed my Yumis (match made in heaven). Getting to the point, I just don't want you to lose confidence jumping to potentially too wide skis. That said, you sound very capable, I mean you skied a ski 6cm taller than you like a boss!

I'd caution you not to write the Armadas off as too stiff just yet as you skied a very tall length. The longer the skis, the stiffer and harder to bend I think they'd feel. You might just need a better length for you. You sound liek to are looking for a more freeride oriented all mountain ski, and those usually have more rocker. The more rocker, the shorter it skis so you'll be able to ski them in a longer length. It also sounds like you are ready to go up in length period, so don't be scared there, but maybe don't make the 160 a data point just yet, lol. I think the 154 you suggested sounds reasonable!

And how about this? I'll message you when I get back from Mt Bachelor and if you still want to try them out, we can arrange to meet at Crystal, ok?
I've spent an embarrassing amount of hours looking at ski related stuff. Even my partner was surprised about how much research I'm doing... she did some research but she kinda jumped for it and happened to land in a happy place. But I don't have the confidence or (expert) skills she has on skis so the margin of error would be significantly larger for me, I think.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the BP88s, and I'm so glad you found perfect skis for you! This is the kind of input I was hoping to get from the Divas community... Related, I watched Deb Armstrong's video about proper ski selection and skis holding people back and I've been nervous about that happening to me with skis wider than I can ski. With the limited data I've got thus far and a few second hand data points (friends of similar athleticism and ski ability getting 95-98 width skis and rocking them), I'll probably be ok, but that's a pretty low confidence guess.

You make a good point about not writing off the Armadas off. You alluded to this: what I really need is more data points... at the worst time to get data points in terms of demoing at Crystal :doh: As for meeting at Crystal, sounds good! And thank you again for your offer and thoughtful responses. Knowing myself, I might get impatient and jump for skis before they're gone at my local shop at the price they are now... but maybe I'll manage to rein it in??? Hope you have a great time at Bachelor!

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've spent an embarrassing amount of hours looking at ski related stuff. Even my partner was surprised about how much research I'm doing... she did some research but she kinda jumped for it and happened to land in a happy place. But I don't have the confidence or (expert) skills she has on skis so the margin of error would be significantly larger for me, I think.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the BP88s, and I'm so glad you found perfect skis for you! This is the kind of input I was hoping to get from the Divas community... Related, I watched Deb Armstrong's video about proper ski selection and skis holding people back and I've been nervous about that happening to me with skis wider than I can ski. With the limited data I've got thus far and a few second hand data points (friends of similar athleticism and ski ability getting 95-98 width skis and rocking them), I'll probably be ok, but that's a pretty low confidence guess.

You make a good point about not writing off the Armadas off. You alluded to this: what I really need is more data points... at the worst time to get data points in terms of demoing at Crystal :doh: As for meeting at Crystal, sounds good! And thank you again for your offer and thoughtful responses. Knowing myself, I might get impatient and jump for skis before they're gone at my local shop at the price they are now... but maybe I'll manage to rein it in??? Hope you have a great time at Bachelor!
Have you checked out Powder7? They sell both new and demo skis (price check, their demos are not always cheaper!) but also have a pretty cool trade in program where they will take your old skis and credit towards your new purchase! I know of several people now who have taken extreme advantage of it and literally almost demo skis for a little bit, then turn around and get new ones using the trade in program. The category you are looking in is most popular so they may or may not have demos you want, but it is nice to know you can trade them back in if they don't work out (or trade whatever new pair you bought). Caveat, they don't take skis older than 5 years.

2020 K2 Mindbender Demos:

2022 Elan Ripstick 94W mounted but never used demos in 154:

New Salomon QST 92:

New Sheeva 9:

Does your partner have any skis she might want to trade in?

Last edited:

mgmm

Diva in Training
Have you checked out Powder7? They sell both new and demo skis (price check, their demos are not always cheaper!) but also have a pretty cool trade in program where they will take your old skis and credit towards your new purchase! I know of several people now who have taken extreme advantage of it and literally almost demo skis for a little bit, then turn around and get new ones using the trade in program. The category you are looking in is most popular so they may or may not have demos you want, but it is nice to know you can trade them back in if they don't work out (or trade whatever new pair you bought). Caveat, they don't take skis older than 5 years.

2020 K2 Mindbender Demos:

2022 Elan Ripstick 94W mounted but never used demos in 154:

New Salomon QST 92:

New Sheeva 9:

Does your partner have any skis she might want to trade in?
I've looked before, but didn't know about the trade in program! That's a great tip. I'm going to go to my local shop tomorrow and chat with the guys there... I'm sure they'll have lots to discuss after I tell them about my slightly less than ideal demo experience. They had a generous discount on boots, so I think I have a pretty good chance of getting the skis from them for a really good deal too. If their prices are significantly higher, I know where to go!

Funny you ask about my partner. She is a one ski quiver person (Atomic Vantage 97 c), and probably won't buy skis until they snap in half, haha.

mgmm

Diva in Training
Speaking of boots....how are those.

Date your skis, marry your boots!!
Ah yes my new boots... skied on those demos open to close with a brief break for cold pizza for lunch and that was one of the best days of skiing I've had thus far. My feet and calves had their best day ever, no doubt about that!

Basil

Certified Ski Diva
Why a Ripstick 94 instead of the 88?

I have the original Ripsticks from 2018 (they were 86 then). I think they are a good ski for an intermediate. I bought them when I got back into skiing after a long hiatus for pregnancy/baby stages, and I find them forgiving and fun. I think because they are so light, their downside is they can get knocked around a bit in chop, but they are still my favorite choice if I'm skiing certain areas with certain people (little kids, elderly parents) where I'm not expecting to be charging.

I wouldn't go taller than you, since you're used to pretty short skis, so I'd go for a mid 150s ski. I generally ski longer than a lot of people here, and I am 5'5" (165cm) and my skis 165, 166, and 169 (wider skis with more rocker).

echo_VT

Angel Diva
Based on what you want to ski and what you will ski at crystal I think the 94 underfoot makes sense especially when I think of PNW powder conditions which can be cement-y. Definitely go for the longer length based off your weight and the shovel contact point which as you say makes the effective edge shorter. The ripsticks are an excellent ski, and take command well in all types of conditions, and will be floaty. I am not sure about mixed conditions. Good luck in your decision! Love that you’re obsessing on it!

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh @mgmm - I'm not sure where you live, but if there is an EVO by you, they do rent demo skis out. During the season, you can book online, but being so late, it's now on a first come, first serve basis at the rental and repair shop. You'd have to go in and ask what they have.

That said, I know the one here in Seattle rents out primarily wider skis and I recall a couple being ok-ish lengths for me on the taller side. Since I think you want to go on the taller side anyway, this could work.

mgmm

Diva in Training
Thank you everyone for your input! And @echo_VT for calling me out on the obsession hahaha.

Why a Ripstick 94 instead of the 88?
This is definitely based on what I want to ski (vs. what I ski now) and PNW snow. I also read a thread on the forums here where a Diva asked Ripstick 88 or 94, and she went with the 94 in 146 and was happy with it--with my slightly heavier weight, I figured 154 was probably going to work well. I know there's bias for recommending wider and wider skis here in the PNW, so I thought 94 would be a bit of a happy medium (vs going 100+)! My guess is I'd have a lot of fun with either the 88 and 94.

Oh @mgmm - I'm not sure where you live, but if there is an EVO by you, they do rent demo skis out. During the season, you can book online, but being so late, it's now on a first come, first serve basis at the rental and repair shop. You'd have to go in and ask what they have.
I'm in Seattle too! A few of my (male) friends suggested EVO, but I didn't quite have the time to go to go around the city looking for skis, and I was worried they wouldn't have shorter skis left.

But... I did go back to ProSki where I got my boots fitted, and they had the 2023 Ripsticks 40% (!!!) off. I went for the 94 w in 154cm and bindings (Warden 11 MNC, if you were wondering) for ~$530 pre-tax, which was a better price than anything I saw online. Didn't choose the longer 162, but I think it'll end up being ok because I'm not one to race down fast except to keep up with my partner. Will report back after I give them a go!

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
But... I did go back to ProSki where I got my boots fitted, and they had the 2023 Ripsticks 40% (!!!) off. I went for the 94 w in 154cm and bindings (Warden 11 MNC, if you were wondering) for ~$530 pre-tax, which was a better price than anything I saw online. Didn't choose the longer 162, but I think it'll end up being ok because I'm not one to race down fast except to keep up with my partner. Will report back after I give them a go!
Oh wow, good luck! I think those are an excellent ski, especially for the conditions you and your partner are going to be much of the time!! Off piste usually requires more nimble performance which a shorter length is better for anyway. Plus, you are coming off skis in the 130's - I think 154 will feel plenty more stable at speed. Hope you love them!

Sokolva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Awesome find! I’ve heard amazing things about the Ripsticks! My husband and I are in the same situation but reversed (I’m the lifetime skier, he is just now hooked on skiing after a few trips together) and the beginner skis that he picked out to learn on were the Elan Truflex skis in 176
He’s a pretty big guy at 6’3 and 250 pounds, and he absolutely loves learning on these skis. They are surprisingly snappy and not noodles at all, but forgiving in the right places, and kept him from eating it when he made mistakes like other skis did. He’s come so much further since getting his own well fitted boots and gear! He’s definitely eyed up some advanced skiers Ripsticks and he may well want a pair one day when he is ready to upgrade!

NYSnowflake

Angel Diva
I have a 1 ski quiver - Head Total Joy. I ski these all over the northeast and also skied them on POW Days off piste and hardpacked groomers at Whistler on my vacation. My friend is the ski school director there and he advised me to stick with my Total Joys (84 underfoot) for the whole trip. He has a huge quiver of skis because he is also a Nordica rep but most days he skied narrow skis. On a deep pow day he put my husband in 90s underfoot and he skied 80s underfoot. Many people will disagree with me but after my trip I am even more in love with my total joys. Here’s a picture of me getting a glades lesson on Raptor’s Revenge on a pow day at Whistler and I am in my total joys. I am similar build to you.8F3C71C5-A475-4536-A096-B65EC9F77756.jpeg8F3C71C5-A475-4536-A096-B65EC9F77756.jpeg

Jilly

Staff member
Please watch Deb Armstrong's video in this thread. It's worth the 11 minutes.

NYSnowflake

Angel Diva
Please watch Deb Armstrong's video in this thread. It's worth the 11 minutes.

When I buy another pair of skis I will go narrower, not wider. I agree with your message above and have heard the same advice from PSIA/CSIA upper level instructors and examiners.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna