• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Buying first pair of skis for one ski quiver

mgmm

Diva in Training
Well, I skied two days in a row at Crystal with the Ripsticks to wrap up the season, and I had such a great time. I had no problem with higher speeds on cruddy snow (something I always had trouble with on the season rentals). I was fully confident and felt in control on steepest parts of blue runs. I played around with turn shapes, turn sizes, putting little hops with my turns, skiing backwards (poorly, first attempt lol), etc, and I just loved it. I was having so much fun that when my snowboarder friend went into some trees, I followed. When he went to the park for some jumps, I said, heck, why not, and got my first jumps in.

I have a habit of looking back at my own tracks somewhat frequently after a private lesson earlier in the season. As expected, rail road tracks take more conscious effort with these skis, and the feeling of carving is worth that extra effort. Yes, I want to be a better skilled skier, and I'm aware that skis as wide as mine may hinder progress. I do think I can learn a lot with them over time. Also, to be perfectly honest, I'm just happy to be able to get out there and have fun in the snow with friends after decades of wondering what downhill skiing might feel like.

@NYSnowflake @Jilly I watched the ski selection video (and so many other Deb Armstrong videos--she's a phenomenal teacher) toward the beginning of my thinking about ski selection, and I even linked it in my post:
Related, I watched Deb Armstrong's video about proper ski selection and skis holding people back
In the end, my local shop didn't have the 88 Ripsticks in a length appropriate for me and I chose based on cost. At this point I can't afford the space or money for more gear, but I'm excited for future me to consider adding a narrower ski!

Last edited:

yogiskier

Angel Diva
Congrats on buying the Ripsticks and using them to play all over the mountain! I am reading threads on demoing, as I never have done it before, but plan to next season. I have some similar reqs for what I'm looking for, but, significantly, I'm on the East Coast. It's helpful to read about people's first time demoing - thanks for sharing @mgmm :smile:

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, I skied two days in a row at Crystal with the Ripsticks to wrap up the season, and I had such a great time. I had no problem with higher speeds on cruddy snow (something I always had trouble with on the season rentals). I was fully confident and felt in control on steepest parts of blue runs. I played around with turn shapes, turn sizes, putting little hops with my turns, skiing backwards (poorly, first attempt lol), etc, and I just loved it. I was having so much fun that when my snowboarder friend went into some trees, I followed. When he went to the park for some jumps, I said, heck, why not, and got my first jumps in.

I have a habit of looking back at my own tracks somewhat frequently after a private lesson earlier in the season. As expected, rail road tracks take more conscious effort with these skis, and the feeling of carving is worth that extra effort. Yes, I want to be a better skilled skier, and I'm aware that skis as wide as mine may hinder progress. I do think I can learn a lot with them over time. Also, to be perfectly honest, I'm just happy to be able to get out there and have fun in the snow with friends after decades of wondering what downhill skiing might feel like.

@NYSnowflake @Jilly I watched the ski selection video (and so many other Deb Armstrong videos--she's a phenomenal teacher) toward the beginning of my thinking about ski selection, and I even linked it in my post:

In the end, my local shop didn't have the 88 Ripsticks in a length appropriate for me and I chose based on cost. At this point I can't afford the space or money for more gear, but I'm excited for future me to consider adding a narrower ski!
Just reading this and I'm so happy it worked out so well. Everyone has a journey - I don't see this as hindering yours, I see this as expanding possibilities in other directions where you'll continue to learn and grow! Don't sweat it for narrower skis - you can always add to your quiver later - or demo some, Crystal will have options for us little people in that range next year! Just don't wait until end of season, haha

Slow Sarah

Angel Diva
This post got long as I was hoping to show the various other factors at play beyond ski width in my perceived improvements but I also wanted to concur that using thinner, shorter skis definitely played a part.

I bought Head Kore 85s last year at 156 length. I am 5” exactly and was about 40 lbs heavier than I should have been last season. I bought them after lots of research and wanting to mitigate the sinking into crud that had happened to me at on an earlier run. I also read that longer skis could be better for heavier skiiers. The description of them being “all mountain” and something I could progress with made them seem like a good fit though I knew they were long for me. At the time I was not aware of how much had changed in widths since I was last on skis. I bought these after only a couple of days back on the mountain and about 10 years away. A friend who spent her life on the mountain and many years instructing and in ski patrol gave me a careful-not-to-offend look while examining the length and said, “They’re kind of wide but it sounds like you did your research.”

Despite the pain in my feet and extreme soreness and fatigue to my legs (not to mention the rest of my body !) plus the horrible shin bang from ill-fitting boots, I was determined to push through and progressed to shorter steeper blue runs and a few bumps by the end of last season and was much stronger overall though I do have to me careful with my knee.

I started the season about 15 lbs lighter after having spent the summer doing oblique twists and wall sits plus I had better fitting boots.

I got back on my 10 year old Passion Classic skis that are under 70 w and only come to my forehead then exclusively my daughter’s Stockli Nela 80s at 149 length.

Wow.

I skied Lucky Shot and Downhill at Crystal Mountain (WA) which are steeper and had been more of a challenge earlier in the season with my Kores. I was also able to ski off Rainer Gondola and Green Valley runs at Crystal on the Stocklis as well as Showcase and more crowded areas at Stevens Pass. These are areas I had been less confident to try before. Everything felt easier. What others have said about it being easier to turn and not sliding as much were true. Bumps seemed slightly less intimidating too.

Some adjustments in fitness level and added mileage plus understanding that I am stronger earlier in the day have definitely helped me move more confidently around the mountain. I wanted to add this piece so it is clear that it isn’t just the thinner skis that spurred improvements but the rest of the post should show that I think they definitely helped.

The more interesting thing is that on our recent trip to Whistler I was back in my Kores after about five days on the shorter skis. I was worried that my improvements were going to vanish once back on longer, wider skis.

I was fine! I made it down a couple of times from 7th Heaven and on one short and steep bumpy run off Jersey Cream (that was still a lot of work!!) plus many other blue runs. Whistler was great for me as it felt like the runs I was on varied in steepness and bumpiness from top to bottom so I got to challenge myself but also see improvement after the bigger challenge was completed. I do wish I had been able to try the Stocklis there. I believe that the time spent on the thinner skis really helped my confidence everywhere else.

I look forward to next season even more now, especially mixing in shorter, thinner skis for more of the season. I hope my knee soreness will improve after more time on thinner skis with hopefully better technique. It sounds like a few demos might be in order!

Best of luck!!

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I skied Lucky Shot and Downhill at Crystal Mountain (WA) which are steeper and had been more of a challenge earlier in the season with my Kores. I was also able to ski off Rainer Gondola and Green Valley runs at Crystal on the Stocklis as well as Showcase and more crowded areas at Stevens Pass. These are areas I had been less confident to try before. Everything felt easier. What others have said about it being easier to turn and not sliding as much were true. Bumps seemed slightly less intimidating too.
Lord I need to get on some skinnier skis!!! I find those runs steep too. Was this on the Stockli Nelas or your older pair?

Slow Sarah

Angel Diva
Lord I need to get on some skinnier skis!!! I find those runs steep too. Was this on the Stockli Nelas or your older pair?
I skied Lucky Shot and Downhill on my Kores earlier in the season and then again on the Stocklis so I can compare the experiences directly. Off Ranier Gondola, Green Valley and Showcase at Stevens were only on the Stocklis. These later runs seem steeper to me so I can say the Stocklis helped give me more confidence but I did those runs after a lot more days practice too.
I think the Stocklis are wonderful and I will use them whenever my daughter will let me (after demoing if no others compare I might get my own later on) but I also found these Kastles online after reading about other brands here and online. They seem pretty reasonably priced and might be fun to try. There are also a few different lengths. They sound like they might be stiffer than the Stocklis though. Just posting for interest:

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great deal on the Kastles but sale prices end tonight. 86% off, can't go wrong.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I skied Lucky Shot and Downhill on my Kores earlier in the season and then again on the Stocklis so I can compare the experiences directly. Off Ranier Gondola, Green Valley and Showcase at Stevens were only on the Stocklis. These later runs seem steeper to me so I can say the Stocklis helped give me more confidence but I did those runs after a lot more days practice too.
I think the Stocklis are wonderful and I will use them whenever my daughter will let me (after demoing if no others compare I might get my own later on) but I also found these Kastles online after reading about other brands here and online. They seem pretty reasonably priced and might be fun to try. There are also a few different lengths. They sound like they might be stiffer than the Stocklis though. Just posting for interest:
OMG I have totally been eyeing those!!

However, a few weeks ago I gave Sturtevants in Bellevue a call to ask about what they might be able to offer in the demo fleet next season. The guy hinted that they'd have Stockli Montero AX's new for season as demos. He said they'd be finalizing in November and urged me to call back then, but I'm pretty hopeful! He said Stockli was replacing the woman specific Nela with it, so they'd be availalbe in shorter lengths and they'd carry those.

Slow Sarah

Angel Diva
OMG I have totally been eyeing those!!

However, a few weeks ago I gave Sturtevants in Bellevue a call to ask about what they might be able to offer in the demo fleet next season. The guy hinted that they'd have Stockli Montero AX's new for season as demos. He said they'd be finalizing in November and urged me to call back then, but I'm pretty hopeful! He said Stockli was replacing the woman specific Nela with it, so they'd be availalbe in shorter lengths and they'd carry those.
Most excellent! I am new to the whole demo piece so it will be fun to see how that works with Sturdivants particularly. I got my boots there and my Kores. It seems to get pretty busy though too. Please post in November if that change to Montero develops. I am wondering what the widths will look like as well if Nela is going away.

Slow Sarah

Angel Diva
Great deal on the Kastles but sale prices end tonight. 86% off, can't go wrong.
I saw that too! I wonder how it will look a few months farther down the line. They must have some inventory in order to offer them at that price. It seems like now the price is equal to 3-4 days rental.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I saw that too! I wonder how it will look a few months farther down the line. They must have some inventory in order to offer them at that price. It seems like now the price is equal to 3-4 days rental.
Damn, it looks even more tempting when you put it that way, but I've promised myself I'll hold off on buying until next season and DEMO FIRST.

So to try to tide myself over, I've bought myself a pair of K2 Inline Skates to work on my balance and general fitness over the summer in anticipation of skiing next season instead! This whole not spending money thing is going swell :rotf:

Jilly

Staff member
So to try to tide myself over, I've bought myself a pair of K2 Inline Skates to work on my balance and general fitness over the summer in anticipation of skiing next season instead! This whole not spending money thing is going swell :rotf:

Inline skating is great X training. You can even try "edging" or at least turning on some shallow hills. And its great for the legs and waist.!

Slow Sarah

Angel Diva
Damn, it looks even more tempting when you put it that way, but I've promised myself I'll hold off on buying until next season and DEMO FIRST.

Yeahhhhh. I have started thinking of it like the Ski Monster. Wherever it goes it takes massive gulps of cash, leaving tears and angry spouses in its wake.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Your choice sounds perfect!

I ski in New England and have a quiver - I am most often on an 85-93 underfoot. I appreciate that others prefer a narrower ski, but based on my ski style and terrain preferences this is my happy range - to each their own.

Enjoy your Ripstick 94 :love:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna