• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help me stay warm: Day-to-day Base Layers

knolan12

Angel Diva
Hi Divas,

I'm cold haha We're putting an addition on our house so we're lacking insulation and it's been in the 40s overnight. We work from home and with heat prices through the roof, I'm trying to find other ways to stay warm haha

Do you have any base layer recommendations for everyday? Something I can wear underneath sweaters or leggings to help insulate. I'm so well-versed on staying warm outside, but don't know how to stay warm inside haha I just saw a TikTok from somewhere in Norway with underwear like base layers, but forgot to save it .

Thank youuu

Reactions: AJM

marzNC

Angel Diva
Do you ever wear a vest while skiing?

I wear a vest in my house when it gets cold outside. Never that cold in NC but the heat pump can only do so much when the outside temperature is under about 35 degrees. I have various types of vests depending on the situation but for indoor wear they are usually different from what I wear under a ski jacket.

My husband swears by a down vest in the house. He used to keep the thermostat at his house in CT at 55 back in his bachelor days.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Smartwool is always nice and warm. I usually stay in pajama pants/sweats for bottoms working at home, since no one sees that part of me haha. Fleece lined leggings and tights are nice and warm too. Fleece, vests, cardigans, sweatshirts, sweaters on top depending on my day's meetings. Slippers.

Could also have a little space heater under your desk, and I love hot water bottles and electric heating pads at times in general for coziness. A throw blanket on your lap can be nice too.

We keep our house between 68-70 all year though, except we lower when away on ski weekends. So I'm usually pretty comfortable during the day, along with my dog sleeping on my lap often during the workday lol.

Christy

Angel Diva
I routinely wear wool base layers under sweaters and jeans in the winter in the house. I run cold. I also love the Woolx heavyweight wool leggings.

Like Missy suggested--a little space heater is great. When we had a small addition put on and it was drafty to say the least I essentially carried it around and kept it pointed at me.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I routinely wear wool base layers under sweaters and jeans in the winter in the house. I run cold. I also love the Woolx heavyweight wool leggings.

Like Missy suggested--a little space heater is great. When we had a small addition put on and it was drafty to say the least I essentially carried it around and kept it pointed at me.
I used to have one under my desk at work (previous company) because it was way colder there than in my house. Brrrrr The only problem was that sometimes I got so warm and cozy from it that I would get super sleepy.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Silk base layers add warmth without bulk. I was going to suggest Wintersilks, but it looks like they don't exist anymore. Land's End, LLBean have them. I think you can even get Terramar ones at Tractor Supply Company. I often layer merino Ts or tanks under my sweaters. I don't layer under my jeans, but I have a Kari Traa merino capri base layer that is light weight and a simple waist band that would be thin enough to layer with, but I think silk would be more comfortable under street clothes. I generally go for core and feet if I'm cold inside.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My house was 50º F this morning when I woke up. When I got dressed I put on long pant liners that I use when skiing, knee socks, jeans, thick&warm mid-calf boots, two shirts - one was Hot Chilies, a fleece neck gaiter, a wool beanie on my cold head, and a packable duck down jacket. Must admit I also turned the heat on (set at 64º) when I got downstairs.

All that stuff stayed on for most of the morning. I tend to run cold.

empogo

Certified Ski Diva
If you can do wool, do wool. I try not to turn the heat on more than I need to, so I have tons of merino layers, wool vests, wool blankets and socks, etc. Icebreaker makes most of my favorite pieces, or once in a while you can find some old ibex stuff from before they were purchased. Merino base layer, wool sweater/mid layer, wool house vest… all very normal for me. When I’m on my laptop (most of the time) and it’s cold I wear wrist warmers that my mom knitted for me years ago. Helps a lot!

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wool base layers and I have also previously worn insulated ski pants and a down jacket indoors! If you're at a desk or table, cover it with a blanket/heavy cloth and create a warm pocket underneath with a small fan heater - warms up and stays warm. Also a covered hot water bottle on your lap under a blanket is great.
Overnight: I used to have two hot water bottles with covers for the night and they would stay warm the whole night under my duvet if I put near-boiling water in them.
Warm your next to skin layers before putting them on in the morning (have within arms reach, and let them sit in the warm spot under the covers from your body heat before you pull them on)

Hands is the hardest for me to keep warm if I'm typing or doing desk work, hence the daytime hot water bottle suggestion

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I freeeeeze in winter both indoors and out, the joys of living in a poorly insulated house :cry:
My biggest go to is a beanie as we lose a lot of body heat through our heads, I also wear a down jacket indoors, have the fire cranking and the heat pump blaring and I'm okay .... sort of !

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hands is the hardest for me to keep warm if I'm typing or doing desk work,
Younger child now in college has been trying to be responsible and keep roommate budgets in mind too and has taken to fingerless gloves inside when temps dip.

Reactions: AJM

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Younger child now in college has been trying to be responsible and keep roommate budgets in mind too and has taken to fingerless gloves inside when temps dip.
Yes, my problem was flatting and trying to be responsible without the heater. Even with fingerless gloves my fingertips would then freeze - the joys of being a student in a city famous for terrible housing and indoor icicles....

TheGreenOne

Angel Diva
I've found waffle fabric which is currently trendy warmer compared to flat cotton. Also just feels softer and cozier! I I have this one - very oversized. I wear S/M depending on how the shoulder is cut and I can probably wear XS in this.

I mentioned Uniqlo in another thread - their basic base layer, not snow specific, they swap base layers based on seasons, is very thin and good to layer with. I use these sometimes when it's not super cold with a mid-layer and shell/insulated jacket.

The blend fabric is thin, but I'm not sure about their cotton base layer's thickness, never bought a cotton base layer because that goes against my need for sweat wicking.

Link to the blend non cotton base layer top

elemmac

Angel Diva
When I’m on my laptop (most of the time) and it’s cold I wear wrist warmers that my mom knitted for me years ago. Helps a lot!

Hands is the hardest for me to keep warm if I'm typing or doing desk work, hence the daytime hot water bottle suggestion
I have a pair of Wristies (company owned by a friend of a friend) that I use at my desk when I'm cold...they're perfect.

As for @knolan12 original question...My house is old and drafty, and the heating duct system is terrible (but almost impossible to change, as the house is 100+ years old). So, we basically don't have heat upstairs. I don't normally do base layers, but my two go-to warm tops are a North Face Campshire Fleece or an LLBean pullover puffy...they are both SOOOO warm and cozy (too warm for most indoor settings, but perfect for my house). My legs don't generally get cold, but if they do I like the HH Lifa workwear baselayers for casual baselayers and warm slippers are a MUST (I just spoiled myself and got a pair of UGG slippers...worth every penny).

knolan12

Angel Diva
You are all cozy angels! So many good ideas here. I do have a cozy LL Bean vest I wear a ton, but we do video calls for work and trying not to wear the same thing every day haha

The cold typing hands are a big one so love the suggestions there! The space heater works well in the room I work in, but not so good at night in the living room (probably cuz there is no wall/insulation at the moment haha) so definitely checking out all these links/suggestions :smile:

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I picked up a super cozy long cardigan/ duster by Allbirds in a Sierra store the other day. Talking down almost to my toes thick merino. Almost like a grown up version of a snuggie that looks good enough to wear outside the house. I have a feeling it will get a lot of wear this winter.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I picked up a super cozy long cardigan/ duster by Allbirds in a Sierra store the other day. Talking down almost to my toes thick merino. Almost like a grown up version of a snuggie that looks good enough to wear outside the house. I have a feeling it will get a lot of wear this winter.
Sounds fantastic. Picture????

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga