• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help me stay warm: Day-to-day Base Layers

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have some "silk weight" baselayers from the Army days made by Polartec that I wear when skiing and at work . I wore them alot at one of my jobs because the manager kept it at 64°. I only break out the merino wool layers when its really really cold.
Fleece hat on my head and sometimes fuzzy socks on my feet. My feet then get too hot and then I'm barefoot until they get too cold.
I'm constantly drinking hot tea or coffee.
A good meal will warm you up for a while too.
I have a heated mattress pad ony bed that I'll turn on a half hour before bed so I'm not crawling into a cold bed.
The worst part is that period of time when you have to remove these warm layers to take a shower.
Thankfully my house has decent insulation but I live in the really cold state of MN.

Reactions: AJM

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I freeeeeze in winter both indoors and out, the joys of living in a poorly insulated house :cry:
My biggest go to is a beanie as we lose a lot of body heat through our heads, I also wear a down jacket indoors, have the fire cranking and the heat pump blaring and I'm okay .... sort
As others have mentioned, layers and hat indoors. Another thing I bought was a heated mouse for when I am working or on the computer. I LOVE that thing. I ordered off of amazon and it's been going strong several years. https://smile.amazon.com/Optical-Heated-Computer-Mouse-Advanced/dp/B07G8QXTTL?ref_=ast_sto_dp

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Costco has the Seg'ments long sleeve merino shirts online now, not sure if they are in store yet. For $20 I think they're great. They are fairly thin (165 gsm) but I find they work well year round and for layering. And they come in xs - 3x. If you want to stock up or get some for gifts, if buy 5 you get $25 off bringing it down to only $15 each.

Ridge Merino is also having a 25% off sale.

Christy

Angel Diva
I just got one of these during the REI sale (still on). It's not my first such piece from Icebreaker. These are so great.

I have one of these long sleeved tops from Woolx--the same place I got my wool leggings--and it's terrific. It looks more like a regular top than a base layer (I love the sleeve cuffs). I will be buying more. Woolx is not cheap but it's quality. I have worn my leggings to a ridiculous degree the past few years and they are still in great shape. Oh, and their joggers, too. WONDERFUL.

Here are the leggings. I get the Stella. https://www.woolx.com/collections/womens-bottoms

I cleaned out my closet yesterday and was so disgusted by all the things that hadn't held up even under light or moderate wear. I'm not even talking about the cheapest fast fashion, which I don't buy, but the moderately priced items from Nordstrom, Macy's, etc. It's just junk. I'm resigned to the fact I need to spend more and buy fewer pieces (whether it's warm winter/sports layers, or just a simple t-shirt), and that will ultimately serve me better and make me happier.

Christy

Angel Diva
Also, there are some hardcore women here! With my new energy efficient heat pump (powered by cheap hydro) I have zero guilt about my 71 degree setting, bumped to 72 in mid-afternoon when I get cold.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I just got one of these during the REI sale (still on). It's not my first such piece from Icebreaker. These are so great.

I have one of these long sleeved tops from Woolx--the same place I got my wool leggings--and it's terrific. It looks more like a regular top than a base layer (I love the sleeve cuffs). I will be buying more. Woolx is not cheap but it's quality. I have worn my leggings to a ridiculous degree the past few years and they are still in great shape. Oh, and their joggers, too. WONDERFUL.

Here are the leggings. I get the Stella. https://www.woolx.com/collections/womens-bottoms

I cleaned out my closet yesterday and was so disgusted by all the things that hadn't held up even under light or moderate wear. I'm not even talking about the cheapest fast fashion, which I don't buy, but the moderately priced items from Nordstrom, Macy's, etc. It's just junk. I'm resigned to the fact I need to spend more and buy fewer pieces (whether it's warm winter/sports layers, or just a simple t-shirt), and that will ultimately serve me better and make me happier.
I have an Icebreaker 260 full zip sweatshirt and have had it at least 10 years.... Quality product.

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Costco has the Seg'ments long sleeve merino shirts online now, not sure if they are in store yet. For $20 I think they're great. They are fairly thin (165 gsm) but I find they work well year round and for layering. And they come in xs - 3x. If you want to stock up or get some for gifts, if buy 5 you get $25 off bringing it down to only $15 each.

Ridge Merino is also having a 25% off sale.
I saw them in the Nashua NH store last week.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

empogo

Certified Ski Diva
Sort of a side topic, but figured I’d chime in since I do get great deals on it! I’m an Icebreaker fanatic, but only rarely buy stuff new (underwear and bras being an exception). I’ve gotten a ton of great pieces on Poshmark, usually for incredibly good prices. I love their super thin base layers, thicker hoodies, even their insulated stuff is great (uses merino fill). Obsessed with their Comet tights, and their joggers make a great mid layer since you can easily push the cuffs up. Tends to fit true to size, I’m a medium in most everything from them.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member

I know this is an old post, but I'm curious about the Stella leggings. Tell me: How warm are these? When it's cold outside, do you feel the cold air through them? I've had some leggings that are like that, and I'd like to get some that aren't.

altagirl

Staff member
We also keep the thermostat quite low and I usually have like a turtleneck and leggings plus a thick boiled wool cardigan, wool socks and sometimes a hat, and the key piece is a fluffy throw blanket wrapped and belted around my waist. Hot tea in a mug that is NOT insulated is good for warming the fingers. AND I do have a space heater if it comes to that.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know this is an old post, but I'm curious about the Stella leggings. Tell me: How warm are these? When it's cold outside, do you feel the cold air through them? I've had some leggings that are like that, and I'd like to get some that aren't.
I seriously hope no NZers (esp anyone from the farming community) read this as its blasphemy not to like Merino over here but TBH I've gone right off my merino leggings (Mons Royale) as I dont find them warm enough.
My ski pants are uninsulated though so that obviously contributes to it.
I've been wearing compression tights this season and the day I thought I'd give my merino leggings a go my legs froze and yes it was "drafty" !
Prior to wearing compression tights I was wearing Eivy but they are full length so I had to pull them up my calf so they didnt interfere with my boots.
Not sure of the Stella leggings as I cant seem to find them online, perhaps they are heavier than my Mons and therefore might be a bit warmer.

Tori_j

Diva in Training
A little on the pricy side, but I bought these at the end of last season at a festival and they are freaking awesome. They're just fleece lined stretchy shorts. I bought them to wear skiing but I wear them around the house all the time too.
Also, alpaca socks are the best. Get them a tiny bit loser than you would get for normal socks.
Its also worth checking the nearest TJ MAX or Sierra or whatever type of store like that you have. I've found all sorts of weird fleece lined leggings and comfy base layers there.

Christy

Angel Diva
True enough.

I was thinking about how many WoolX pieces I have (Stella leggings, Piper Pocket Leggings, 3 Hannah tops and a hoodie) and how much I love them, so I'd encourage you to try them. It seems like you could wear them outside in the cold for a bit but keep them clean then if they don't work for you, you can just return them.

Not sure of the Stella leggings as I cant seem to find them online, perhaps they are heavier than my Mons and therefore might be a bit warmer.
Here's the link but they only ship to the US and Canada. Also they aren't marketed as outdoor apparel or base layers--they are leggings for daily wear. Then again, does it matter? I'm not sure! They are thicker than base layers normally are...

Reactions: AJM

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking about how many WoolX pieces I have (Stella leggings, Piper Pocket Leggings, 3 Hannah tops and a hoodie) and how much I love them, so I'd encourage you to try them. It seems like you could wear them outside in the cold for a bit but keep them clean then if they don't work for you, you can just return them.

Here's the link but they only ship to the US and Canada. Also they aren't marketed as outdoor apparel or base layers--they are leggings for daily wear. Then again, does it matter? I'm not sure! They are thicker than base layers normally are...

Just ordered a pair of the Stella leggings. I'm excited to give them a try!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna