• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Long hair, helmets & skiing

westcoast21

Certified Ski Diva
Hi Ladies!
I am seeking ideas, help, inspiration or advice: What do you do with your hair (especially long hair) when you wear a helmet and go skiing? Styles, products, etc.? And do you have any secrets that help with 'helmet hair' that is flat/sweaty/frizzy at the end of the day? Thanks very much for any input!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just pull it back in a low pony tail while wearing the helmet, and then slap a cute hat on it after to cover the helmet hair. My hair is straight and fine so it gets flat very easily.

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Tie it into a single braid (or pigtail braids to try to hold the wispy side bits better) and yet it still manages to get snarled up and escape around the front of the helmet and end up in my mouth!

I always bring some sort of hat to wear after I've taken off my helmet. Either a beanie or a cap depending on the overall weather. My hair is very fine so it flattens easily, and my bangs tend to get sort of kinked from being under the helmet.

jmfd84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another low ponytail or braid here. I also find that a low ponytail still gets snarly at the base of my neck, so I prefer a quasi-French braid. However; with a braid, side pieces seem to slip out more easily and irritatingly end up in my neck warmer/balaclava/tickling my face/in my mouth.

I also always have a beanie with me to wear when I take off my helmet. I've been eating lunch and getting changed outside for the past couple of years, so a hat is necessary anyway!

My balding ski partners don't know how good they have it :laugh:

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Tie it into a single braid (or pigtail braids to try to hold the wispy side bits better) and yet it still manages to get snarled up and escape around the front of the helmet and end up in my mouth!

When I had long hair I put a buff around my head like a bandana to avoid my hair inevitably coming out the front of the helmet.

I actually still do that with short hair, because I can easily wash the buff and I feel like it keeps the inside of my helmet less gross, especially in the spring when I get sweaty.

Luvs2ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love this post, mostly since my best ski buddy & myself are always commenting on some ladies that have their long beautiful hair flowing out of their helmets & it doesn't seem to bother them (how does it not end up in your mouth) or more so, how is it not a tangled mess at the end of the ski day? Anyway, our determination was that they only ski a few runs & after seeing most of the responses here from some true ski divas, I believe we are correct :tongue: since most of you are taming the long locks while out on the slopes.

I pull mine back into a long pony or braid & do wear a headband (Skida nordic headband https://skida.com/collections/nordic-headband ) under my helmet. For apres, if it's cold, I sport a hat, if not, I keep the headband on.

shadoj

Angel Diva
I wear a helmet liner (well, actually a super-thin running cap with hole in the back for a ponytail, about the weight of a buff) between my head and helmet. Keeps everything fresher & tidier.

Luvs2ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The headband under the helmet is a great idea. I have a merino wool one by Kari Traa that’s about the width of the Skida headbands. I’ll have to try this!
It does work to keep the small flyaways from sneaking out of the helmet onto my face; plus I feel like it prevents my hair from "sticking" to the inside of the helmet.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Usually low ponytail topped with a Skida Nordic hat which I wear under my helmet when I ski; when the helmet comes off, hat stays on. Depending on apres temps, if it is cold I will switch out to the warmer Alpine hat, or conversely if it is warm, to a headband, or a baseball/trucker hat.

westcoast21

Certified Ski Diva
I wear a helmet liner (well, actually a super-thin running cap with hole in the back for a ponytail, about the weight of a buff) between my head and helmet. Keeps everything fresher & tidier.
this is a great idea. i have a buff that i could try doing this with...i like the idea of being able to wash it and keeping the helmet that much cleaner!

westcoast21

Certified Ski Diva
I love this post, mostly since my best ski buddy & myself are always commenting on some ladies that have their long beautiful hair flowing out of their helmets & it doesn't seem to bother them (how does it not end up in your mouth) or more so, how is it not a tangled mess at the end of the ski day? Anyway, our determination was that they only ski a few runs & after seeing most of the responses here from some true ski divas, I believe we are correct :tongue: since most of you are taming the long locks while out on the slopes.

I pull mine back into a long pony or braid & do wear a headband (Skida nordic headband https://skida.com/collections/nordic-headband ) under my helmet. For apres, if it's cold, I sport a hat, if not, I keep the headband on.
oh my goodness i thought i was the only one who couldn't figure out the beautiful long flowing out the back of the helmet hair!! or even the cute, wispy sides coming out the front of the helmet i see a lot of snowboarding ladies rocking. amazing to me how that works. i don't understand! (if you are one of those girls and you're reading this please consider sharing your secrets lol). i like the headband idea and those Skida's are so pretty!! thank you for sharing the link and your comments!

westcoast21

Certified Ski Diva
When I had long hair I put a buff around my head like a bandana to avoid my hair inevitably coming out the front of the helmet.

I actually still do that with short hair, because I can easily wash the buff and I feel like it keeps the inside of my helmet less gross, especially in the spring when I get sweaty.
this sounds smart. i can see how the buff would help keep the wisps back.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga