• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Opening Dates '21/'22

Slayer

Certified Ski Diva
Anyone got updated intel on Vail's resorts in Tahoe? (Northstar, Heavenly, Kirkwood)

The earlier "opening day" dates got pushed out indefinitely, and none of their websites have info on when they will actually open.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Well temps have really dropped and snow is expected next week so I think with snowmaking that resorts will probably open this weekend or mid week.
This could be wishful thinking as I'm planning on going to Northstar Sunday - Friday....

marzNC

Angel Diva
Anyone got updated intel on Vail's resorts in Tahoe? (Northstar, Heavenly, Kirkwood)

The earlier "opening day" dates got pushed out indefinitely, and none of their websites have info on when they will actually open.
I've been checking the Northstar and Heavenly websites fairly often in the last week. I want to post the final list when it's complete. Those are the last resorts I've been tracking since early November.

After the situation in Park City that was due partially to very limited terrain because it's been too warm to crank up the snowmaking enough, could be some re-thinking going on in Tahoe.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I've been checking the Northstar and Heavenly websites fairly often in the last week. I want to post the final list when it's complete. Those are the last resorts I've been tracking since early November.

After the situation in Park City that was due partially to very limited terrain because it's been too warm to crank up the snowmaking enough, could be some re-thinking going on in Tahoe.
Plus weather inversions have been going on with temps at the top 10 degrees or more warmer than at base elevations.
Will wait and see what happens. I'm going either way as staying at friend's cabin and will ride bikes and hike if no snow. It's great to be in the mountains. N* and Heavenly not announcing anything yet, but Open Snow has some good things to say about upcoming weather. Northstar has the best snowmaking in all of Tahoe, so if any resort can do it, N* can.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I read on Open Snow that Tahoe resorts may NOT be ready for all the snow expected and some resorts may not open until December 17. I hope that's not true ! Palisades and Boreal open with maybe 2 beginner runs only. I wouldn't bother going to either place (and my pass isn't good there either) with two short runs open........ Now I'm hearing FEET of snow expected and low snow levels all next week...

marzNC

Angel Diva
Why wouldn't they be ready? Staffing?
Although that's an issue for every ski resort, warm weather and lack of snowstorms were the bigger problem for Tahoe in November and well into the first half of December.

December 6, 2021

December 2, 2021

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Definitely delay due to warm weather and inability to make snow but it’s forecasted for 6 out of the next 7 days and heard again resorts may not be ready until Dec 17. Hope that’s not true but will snowshoe or cross country if resorts not open.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Definitely delay due to warm weather and inability to make snow but it’s forecasted for 6 out of the next 7 days and heard again resorts may not be ready until Dec 17. Hope that’s not true but will snowshoe or cross country if resorts not open.
Are you thinking specifically about Northstar and Heavenly?

Although terrain is pretty limited, there are other Tahoe resorts that are open already.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Are you thinking specifically about Northstar and Heavenly?

Although terrain is pretty limited, there are other Tahoe resorts that are open already.
Not thinking specifically about N* or Heavenly. Only 2 beginner runs at Palisades and 1 or 2 at Boreal as far as I know. But Bryan Allegretto mentioned in another forecast that the larger resorts may not be able to open until Dec 17. I'm not sure yet what's going on but watching the weather and snow reports carefully.

If, for instance, only one run is open at Northstar, I probably wouldn't bother going. Definitely won't pay to ski 2 beginner runs at Palisades. Yeah we're spoiled here......Checked websites at both Heavenly and N* and they're saying "Opening soon".... I haven't checked every resort in Tahoe though.....
Did you? Maybe you know something I don't !!!! :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Checked websites at both Heavenly and N* and they're saying "Opening soon".... I haven't checked every resort in Tahoe though.....
Did you? Maybe you know something I don't !!!! :smile:
I'm only continuing to check on Northstar and Heavenly. They were on my list early on because VR chose to announce opening dates so early. All the other locations have opened at least one lift.

In the last few years, I've mostly been tracking opening dates up thru Thanksgiving weekend. With a few dates for the southeast and mid-Atlantic. While everyplace is adding snowmaking infrastructure, if Mother Nature doesn't cooperate there isn't much that can be done for large mountains. Ironically the smaller hills in the southeast have been able to build deeper bases in recent years because there have been more 3-4 of good snowmaking weather over consecutive days that they can handle.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I'm only continuing to check on Northstar and Heavenly. They were on my list early on because VR chose to announce opening dates so early. All the other locations have opened at least one lift.

In the last few years, I've mostly been tracking opening dates up thru Thanksgiving weekend. With a few dates for the southeast and mid-Atlantic. While everyplace is adding snowmaking infrastructure, if Mother Nature doesn't cooperate there isn't much that can be done for large mountains. Ironically the smaller hills in the southeast have been able to build deeper bases in recent years because there have been more 3-4 of good snowmaking weather over consecutive days that they can handle.
Yeah it’s a wait and see! I love being in the mountains so happy to cross country or snowshoe….. prefer to downhill ski though.
Some years I don’t ski until mid-late January but getting kind of antsy this year. Plan is also to ski after New Years 4-5 days and end of January…. No lessons of course until Taos!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Just now received an email that Mount Rose is opening tomorrow ! So there's a place I can go ski (and pay for)..........
I love skiing at Rose.... it's not the most convenient place to get to as you have to drive over the Mount Rose highway and that can be dicey.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Since it's my home mountain, have to mention that Massanutten will be open on Friday, Dec. 10 for pass holders. Then open for the weekend, Dec. 11-12. But closed Mon-Fri and planning to open for the season on Dec. 18.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Heavenly and Kirkwood opening Saturday, Dec 11 and Northstar opening Sunday, Dec 12.... Woo hoo I'm leaving tomorrow and staying until Friday !
And when it dumps in the Sierra, it dumps.....5 feet of snow expected so we'll see !

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna