• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

I'm such a Jacket Slut!

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you. I have jacket guilt - and this is only my second one. And it's a shell! I mean totally different so I had to buy while on sale - right!?! I'm waiting for the delivery so I can go hide it from my other half and have it magically appear on me when we go skiing next season...and pretend he knew about it.
A shell is definitely different. And then you might need an insulator jacket to go underneath it so you can fine-tune how warm you want to be. And various different weights of merino baselayers and midlayers. I have a fair-weather insulated jacket which is strictly fashion, and a more waterproof/windproof, lightly insulated one, so clearly my next jacket needs to be a high-performance shell for the backcountry tours I dream of doing...

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you. I have jacket guilt - and this is only my second one. And it's a shell! I mean totally different so I had to buy while on sale - right!?! I'm waiting for the delivery so I can go hide it from my other half and have it magically appear on me when we go skiing next season...and pretend he knew about it.

:rotf:

Djburrito

Certified Ski Diva
How do you ladies get over the sadness of finding a rip in your jacket?? My new Flylow jacket has a rip in the back, I have no idea how, and I am soo bummed!

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
How do you ladies get over the sadness of finding a rip in your jacket?? My new Flylow jacket has a rip in the back, I have no idea how, and I am soo bummed!
Is it brand new like new this season? You should call them and see if they’ll warranty it!

elemmac

Angel Diva
Wear and tear damage unfortunately isn't covered
:hurt:

Step 1 is always cry a little, get that out of the system...then move on and don't dwell on it.

Couple options for step 2:
1. Flylow has amazing customer service in my experience. Email them anyways, even if you don't think it'll be covered under warranty. They may have you send it in for evaluation, and may fix it for free...or at least can give you recommendations on how to go about fixing it.
2. Tenacious Tape - I use this all the time...it's amazing for fixing rips and tears. Go clear if they don't have your jacket color.
3. NO So Patches - Find one that you like, patch the hole and own it. I have the donkey holding dynamite on one of my jackets :smile:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Step 1 is always cry a little, get that out of the system...then move on and don't dwell on it.

Couple options for step 2:
1. Flylow has amazing customer service in my experience. Email them anyways, even if you don't think it'll be covered under warranty. They may have you send it in for evaluation, and may fix it for free...or at least can give you recommendations on how to go about fixing it.
2. Tenacious Tape - I use this all the time...it's amazing for fixing rips and tears. Go clear if they don't have your jacket color.
3. NO So Patches - Find one that you like, patch the hole and own it. I have the donkey holding dynamite on one of my jackets :smile:

Thanks for this! I had no idea about Tenacious Tape or NO So Patches! Definitely something I could use.

edelweissmaedl

Angel Diva
@FayGoneAstray I too love Peak Performance. Started lusting after the brand when I was a broke college kid window shopping in Vienna, Austria. It is much harder to find over here. I'll be curious on your decision to size up. I tend to wear an XS or S and cut varies, but lean more toward XS in Peak so I don't think they run small generally speaking.

FayGoneAstray

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@FayGoneAstray I too love Peak Performance. Started lusting after the brand when I was a broke college kid window shopping in Vienna, Austria. It is much harder to find over here. I'll be curious on your decision to size up. I tend to wear an XS or S and cut varies, but lean more toward XS in Peak so I don't think they run small generally speaking.
It arrived! I dunno about my decision to go with S over XS - I wasn't able to try on in person and the women in the shop were advising me on size via phone and text with video and images. I would have gone with XS but the woman in the shop was an inch taller and around the same weight and she said XS was a bit tight under the armpits and chest and that if I layered up with puffy etc. it would be too constricting and she was fairly certain I should size up so I went with it. My insulated jacket is a much more fitted, short, fashion style so it's very different look for me!!

edelweissmaedl

Angel Diva
It arrived! I dunno about my decision to go with S over XS - I wasn't able to try on in person and the women in the shop were advising me on size via phone and text with video and images. I would have gone with XS but the woman in the shop was an inch taller and around the same weight and she said XS was a bit tight under the armpits and chest and that if I layered up with puffy etc. it would be too constricting and she was fairly certain I should size up so I went with it. My insulated jacket is a much more fitted, short, fashion style so it's very different look for me!!

We need a picture:smile:....I need to live vicariously through you:smile: I snagged the Anima snow pants for half off 2 years ago in St. Anton, but didn't pull the trigger on any jackets I tried on. The plus side of roomier is that you can cram more in the pockets than with a slimmer fit.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I've found average duct tape doesn't stick too well to a lot of outerwear fabrics. But....if you use a superglue - duct tape - super glue - duct tape lasagna-style layering system...it creates a nice robust patch that will last years.
Good to know.

I sliced the bottom of grey shell pants years ago. Probably after I had my edges sharpened. Used grey duck tape in a criss-cross fashion to keep the cut from getting any longer. Stayed for quite a while. I was only using those pants at small hills in the southeast.

newboots

Angel Diva
I should have mentioned, you probably need expert level skill to rock the duck tape look. And your gear should be rumpled.

newboots

Angel Diva
So, the important question: Duct or Duck? I was always firmly in the duct camp. Then I noticed I was in a significant minority. Then I noticed that Duck tape is a brand name now. I still usually choose duct, but somehow decided to go with Duck in these posts. I'm fretting about that!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna