• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How many of these "old school" ski areas have you skied?

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sadly, I have only skied 4 of them.

However, we did ski several small East Coast areas when we started out: Big Vanilla, Sterling Forest, Powder Ridge, and Vernon Valley/Great Gorge.

I believe that Sterling Forest had a vertical drop of 100', and Big Vanilla and Powder Ridge were about 300 vf. Not sure if these 3 areas even exist anymore.

I remember all of those names! Gosh, I have no idea where any of them were but as a kid I loved the name Big Vanilla. Looking it up there was some big money put into it in the 80s:
https://www.skiinghistory.org/news/broadway’s-contribution-catskills-skiing
https://www.nytimes.com/1987/10/11/realestate/postings-350-million-ski-project-big-vanilla.html

I know I skied at Vernon valley/Great Gorge because I distinctly remember the Action Park water slide with the loop sticking out of the snow.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Nice article about Plattekill in the NY Times recently. Although the emphasis is on the private rental option, also talks about the importance of working with the local community.

Mountain for Rent: $4,500 a Day
Plattekill, tucked between bigger and wealthier Catskills ski resorts, has come up with a new business plan that just might save it.

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just scanned through the thread, but could not find a definitive list of criteria for what makes a resort old-fashioned. Part of it is that I've never been to a "mega resort", so I don't know what I'm missing... but I'm thinking all the resorts in Oregon qualify as old-fashioned? (Do all "local" hills qualify as old-fashioned?)

Timberline lodge is basically all wooden. The crowd can be a bit bougie, and the food at the buffet is a bit gourmet, but the facility looks, feels, and smells like it belongs in a Sean-Connery-era Bond movie.

Bachelor is sleeker, but it does not have an up-to-date feel, despite being owned by Powdr. Not having lodging at the mountain makes it hard to be luxurious. Lots of express lifts, but no gondolas; the high winds, massive number of stairs, and clausterophobic tables strip away any pretension of comfort. I mean, they are not afraid to pour mac-and-cheese out of plastic bags in front of everyone. At least Bend and Sunriver, 25-30 minutes away, are brew-pub Meccas.

Hoodoo and Willamette Pass, of course, feel like family farms; their trails don't even show on Google Maps. No express lifts at Hoodoo; après-ski is 20 minutes away in Sisters, where there are a couple of brew pubs, but the grocery store shelves are stripped bare of chips and dips on weekends, so you know the real action is in motel rooms, in front of TVs. Willamette Pass has one six-pack express lift... but I've rarely seen more than three people ride up on it at a time, and there is never a line; for après-ski, I think there is a diner/bar and a convenience store with hotdogs and pre-made burritos in the nearby village of Crescent Lake.

They all have gourmet beer at the lodges, of course, because this is Oregon, but otherwise...

@geargrrl and @vickie, would you agree? I haven't been to Meadows, Ashland, or Anthony Lakes.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I just scanned through the thread, but could not find a definitive list of criteria for what makes a resort old-fashioned. Part of it is that I've never been to a "mega resort", so I don't know what I'm missing... but I'm thinking all the resorts in Oregon qualify as old-fashioned? (Do all "local" hills qualify as old-fashioned?)
I don't have a clear checklist in my mind for whether or not a ski area is "old school." It's more of a subjective feeling about the vibe, who the regular patrons are, and the business model that keeps a place going. Hence the reason to ask for nominations from people who have first-hand experience.

Being "local" is not enough to be "old school" for me. Wachusett near Boston is a locals' mountain that's been around since the 1930s. It has a comfortable vibe and there are events and leisure/recreational all year long. Wachusett has local ownership who invested in detachable high-speed quads a while back, including for the long beginner greens. If someone were visiting New England and wanted to experience "old school" I would point them to Tenney in NH or Berkshire East in MA, not Wachusett or Jiminy Peak. Most Mid-Atlantic ski areas/resorts are "local" because driving more than a few hours to ski a hill that's under 1000 ft vertical makes little sense. But only a few are truly "old school." Blue Knob and Laurel Mountain in PA, and Plattekill at the western edge of the Catskills of NY are the prime examples.

I've only skied at Bachelor and Mt. Hood Meadows in the PacNW. I do not consider Bachelor "old school." Or Meadows for that matter. Timberline perhaps but only walked thru the base lodge and Timberline Lodge. The guests at Timberline Lodge are certainly being pampered but I'm not sure that makes that much difference on the slopes mid-season. Pretty clear that Mt. Hood Meadows and Timberline are more for locals than travelers who fly across the U.S. for ski trips.

Mt. Ashland is a non-profit. An old friend is local to Ashland. From what he tells me, it's definitely "old school" and going to stay that way.

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If someone were visiting New England and wanted to experience "old school" I would point them to Tenney in NH or Berkshire East in MA, not Wachusett or Jiminy Peak.

I've been to Wachusett, many decades ago... and if even they are not "old school", then perhaps I have never even been to a truly "old school" place...

marzNC

Angel Diva
I've been to Wachusett, many decades ago... and if even they are not "old school", then perhaps I have never even been to a truly "old school" place...
Fair to say that Wachusett has evolved in the last few decades. Did they have high speed lifts when you skied there? Was there a section of the 2-story lodge that is reserved for private events, even during ski season? Before the 1980s, the concept of "destination resort" in the sense of Vail or Park City was just starting to evolve.

As with many aspects of skiing, the region makes a big difference. There is little way to generalize across regions. New England is very different from the Southeast, and completely different from the Rockies or PacNW. Camelback in eastern PA and Snowshoe in WV are "destination resorts" for the Mid-Atlantic, but most people only stay for a long weekend. Going for an entire week in resort lodging just to go skiing every day would be a bit silly. They are completely full all summer long, and only full during holiday periods during the winter.

I'm lucky to have skied in multiple regions in recent years. Have sampled every region in the U.S. except the midwest, but I stopped by to wander around the base areas of a few places in northern Michigan this summer. Have also wandered around the base lodges during off-season in New England and NY State. If I'm at a new place, I try to ride all the lifts at least once, including the beginner lifts. It's a hobby, just as some people like to visit large and small churches when they travel. Definitely makes it easier to compare across regions and within a region.

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's a hobby, just as some people like to visit large and small churches when they travel. Definitely makes it easier to compare across regions and within a region.

Well, I'm glad you do it, 'cause it sure is nice to read all about it!

captain_hug99

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Monarch is the first mountain my daughter and I went to. It is also the mountain I take students from my school (yes, I'm that kind of crazy). I love that there is the single base area and she can do the runs she wants and I can do the runs I'm capable of.

I have friends that go to Cooper and rave about it.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Mt. Abrams in ME.
Abram. Singular, no s.

I'll call Lost Valley in Auburn, ME, another old school place. Shawnee Peak is more progressive, but with an "old school" vibe. Saddleback was old school, when it was open (4 years closed, no buyers in sight). Despite a newer fixed-grip triple, Black Mt in Rumford, ME, is old school (but has a really nice, newer base lodge).

I'm ready to declare Sugarloaf old school. The infrastructure and lifts are definitely aged. There are no major capital improvements on the boards, at least per insider information. We got one lift replacement in 2011, but probably only because the old one had a major failure in Dec, 2010.

One chairlift has been removed, and there are no plans to replace it. In fact, it can't be replaced as it had been; it was grandfathered after a series of townhouses and roads went in. (Lifts can't go over stuff like that anymore.) The 2 high speed quads are old and forever breaking down, despite multiple part replacements. And never mind the lodges...

I'm not sure why this is the case, when it's obvious that owner Boyne has plenty of money to spend - at Big Sky. But when it comes to some of the best and most varied skiing in the Northeast, we get nada to serve it. We deal. <sigh> end rant

marzNC

Angel Diva
Saw that 49 Degrees North near Spokane, WA is changing ownership. Been skiing on that mountain since the 1930s, with recent expansion taking it to over 2000 acres. From reading the website, seems a bit old school. The former owner is staying on as GM. What's being created is a 2-location partnership together with Silver Mountain.

49° NORTH MOUNTAIN RESORT CHANGES OWNERSHIP

OFFERS NEW JOINT PASS WITH SILVER MOUNTAIN

(CHEWELAH, WA. April 22, 2019) 49° North Mountain Resort located on Chewelah Mountain in Northeast Washington is proud to announce a change in ownership. For the last 85 years, Chewelah Mountain and 49° North has had several generations of long-term owners and managers. On April 19, 2019 the next generation of ownership acquired 49° North, when CMR Lands, LLC acquired all of the assets for an undisclosed price. 49° North and Silver Mountain resorts will now have related ownership but will operate as independent entities. The management team at 49° North Mountain Resort will remain intact with John Eminger continuing as the General Manager after 23 years as the owner and operator. The management of both areas are looking forward to the synergies created between the resorts that will benefit passholders and guests.

“It has been an honor over the last two decades to be part of increasing the size of the ski area. We have grown from 905 acres to nearly 2,250 acres, created a Nordic trail system with 9 miles of trails, opened a new summit to lift assisted skiing, created over 35 new trails and glades in two basins and added new lifts. It is all a testament to the well developed winter community in Chewelah” notes Eminger. “This transition in ownership will allow for continued improvements and growth, especially in skier experience on and off the snow. We look to increase passholder benefits, remodel the lodge, add a new conveyor carpet to the beginner area, upgrade lifts and add new grooming equipment.”

A new discounted combo 49° North and Silver Mountain pass that will allow passholders to ski at either resort is debuting this week with an introductory price of $459 for adults and $329 for youth, and can be purchased at either mountain. “We think this is a great value as we are essentially adding an entirely new mountain to a normal season pass,” states Eminger. “For the storm riders, it offers a seven-day-a-week option and allows dual pass holders to follow the snow and great conditions. We think this will be a great product for our Spokane guests who can go an hour either direction for a great snow experience.” 49° North and Silver Mountain resorts will also be adding additional benefits to their respective season passes for those who choose to only ski at one resort. . . .

marzNC

Angel Diva
Fair to say that Wachusett has upgraded the facilities and lifts quite a bit in the last couple decades. There are three high-speed detachable lifts, each serving different terrain (green, blue, blue/black). Also have lights for the evening crowd. It's a comfortable family-friendly vibe, but nothing like you can find on the relatively empty slopes at Berkshire East or Tenney on weekends.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hoodoo and Willamette Pass, of course, feel like family farms; their trails don't even show on Google Maps. No express lifts at Hoodoo; après-ski is 20 minutes away in Sisters, where there are a couple of brew pubs, but the grocery store shelves are stripped bare of chips and dips on weekends, so you know the real action is in motel rooms, in front of TVs. Willamette Pass has one six-pack express lift... but I've rarely seen more than three people ride up on it at a time, and there is never a line; for après-ski, I think there is a diner/bar and a convenience store with hotdogs and pre-made burritos in the nearby village of Crescent Lake.
Finally had time to look at info about Hoodoo, which has about 800 acres. The feel I get from the description of the mascot makes it seem reasonable to add it to the "old school" list. Pretty funny description of the Hodag: "Harold in some ways is like his relatives, but the differences are also very pronounced. In the early days, as anyone can discover by going to a search engine and looking up “Hodag,” the animals lived on a meal of white bulldogs. In Oregon there is a shortage of white bulldogs and so Harold has taken a liking to goggles, single gloves, or socks with a mixture of French fries."

"

marzNC

Angel Diva
Willamette Pass certainly seems to fit the "old school" idea. While there is snowmaking for 60 acres, that's a very small percentage of the total. So essentially all natural snow.

Hoodoo is 100% natural snow, with an average of 350 inches. Founded about 80 years ago.

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Willamette Pass certainly seems to fit the "old school" idea. While there is snowmaking for 60 acres, that's a very small percentage of the total. So essentially all natural snow.
They have snowmaking equipment, but I don't think it's been used for years. Same with night-skiing lights.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna