• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How many of these "old school" ski areas have you skied?

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've skied Mad River Glen VT, Wildcat NH, Berkshire East MA, Shawnee Peak ME, Black Mountain, NH, A-Basin in CO, and I've worked at Cannon NH for 6 years. What I think about when I think "old school" ski area is two things.

First, there's the lodge. If it's old, if the carpet is worn, if the bathrooms are clumsily built and if remodeled it's clearly been done on a budget, if the steps are wooden and warped, then the lodge definitely offers an "old school" atmosphere. I like that. The microwave upstairs in the lodge at A-Basin has its door handle taped in place with duct tape. Love that! LOVE that there's a microwave for skiers to use for their brown bag food. I mean, really, that's skier-friendly. The floor in the lodge at Mad River Glen is dirty, gritty with gravel, worn out, and downright ugly. Love that too; it makes me feel right at home (LOL). Wildcat has updated its lodge a little; the old ugly carpet with worn out spots is gone; that's sad. Black Mountain still feels like it's a farm with a chairlift; the horses are still there watching people ride the old chair lift. Bathroom doors are made of wooden floor planks bolted together with a cross-beam; the water smells of sulfur. Great!

What these old lodges communicate to the clientele is that they are simply there to accommodate skiers who need a warm place to sit and boot up, have lunch, take a bio break, and share a beer at day's end. No pretensions! No need to show off in the lodge! No $12.00 burgers! Being in that lodge is not about upper class comfort. The old lodges affirm that the day's experience is about skiing outside.

Compare to Sun Valley's major lodges, where all the fixtures are polished brass, the rugs are hand-woven, the chairs are upholstered in leather and fine fabric, and the legs on those chairs are carved walnut. Is that "comfort" for me? Not really. It says that being there is about being pampered by the corporation at a price paid by me. It's just not my idea of what "going skiing" is all about.

Second, an old-school ski area has trails that were originally cut in the old way to preserve snow, before snow-making arrived on the scene. Old school trails were cut narrow, and when they were on any serious pitch, they featured winding switch-backs. This arrangement left trees closely bordering the narrow trails. Those trees served as a wind-break which saved the snow from blowing off the trail into the woods. Snow preservation was important. Most of those trails today have been widened, and they have snow guns alongside them now. The hairpin turns are gone. But at Cannon there are still two trails on the upper mountain that still have those turns; one has been widened (Upper Ravine), and one remains narrow (Upper Cannon).

Wildcat has preserved some of its old narrow trails, and Mad River Glen is full of them. So are Black and Shawnee Peak. But it's just Cannon that has maintained two switch-back trails. They are dangerous now when filled with clueless recreational skiers coming 'round the bend skidding out of control. Those skiers can't stop on that hard snow at those speeds, and they have no idea what or who is around those blind corners. They think they are experts (no). I avoid those two trails like the plague, even though they are quite scenic. It's not the trails that are the problem, it's the skiing public. I'll only ski them when there's next to no one on the upper mountain.

Last edited:

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Now that Camelback has an indoor waterpark and a lot of other 4-season activities and amenities, I don't think the people who ski there regularly would be happy at an "old school" ski areas in PA like Blue Knob or Elk or the recently re-opened Laurel Mountain. The impression I get from the current Camelback website is small ski resort. Reminds me of Snowshoe.

Denton stopped having any skiing a while back.

My point is that Bridger is not old school. It's got high speed chairs, nice airy lodges. The only thing old school is the lift ticket price. It has far more in common with its bigger competitors Whitefish and Big Sky, than any of the other ski areas -- Snowbowl, Red Lodge, Turner, Blacktail, Discovery, etc. -- in the state. Sure it's not Vail. But the only ski area in the state looking like Vail is Big Sky.

marzNC

Angel Diva
My point is that Bridger is not old school. It's got high speed chairs, nice airy lodges. The only thing old school is the lift ticket price. It has far more in common with its bigger competitors Whitefish and Big Sky, than any of the other ski areas -- Snowbowl, Red Lodge, Turner, Blacktail, Discovery, etc. -- in the state. Sure it's not Vail. But the only ski area in the state looking like Vail is Big Sky.
For me, the lifts and lodges at the base or on-mountain are not the only indicators of "old school." Like any list that's not based on criteria that can be measured , like total vertical or skiable acres, whether or not a place belongs on the list is somewhat subjective.

"Vibe" is definitely subjective. My sense of the staff and season pass holders at Bridger or Grand Targhee or Alta or Brighton is why they are on the list. In some cases, Divas have skied at places they are suggesting a lot, while in orders they skied there a while ago. For some, a look at a website provides enough of a feel to decide to add to the list.

I like to travel. So the reason to think about a list is to provide ideas for doing something a big different as part of a ski trip that includes a well known destination resort. Thinking about "old school" is just one way to look at ski areas from a different viewpoint in this age of consolidation and multi-resort passes. I'd rather have a longer list than work about excluding a place that is not clearly "old school" for whatever reason.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Pow Mow
Alta
Brighton
Beaver Mountain (logan, UT)

I'm so old school, I remember resorts that used to be old school: Park City (when we rode the silver mining train underground to Thayne Canyon lift and it was $5.00 per day and we parked right in front on Sundays. And Old Solitude---real old school in 70s and 80s.

Has anyone skied Maverick Mountain or Lost Trail in Montana---WAY off beaten track and old school still.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't remember the last time---I was with my kids, so that was some time ago!

SkiBilly

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Jilly, you mentioned "old school" resorts in Canada. I haven't read the whole thread...did you post these Canadian ones?

Jilly

Staff member
@Jilly, you mentioned "old school" resorts in Canada. I haven't read the whole thread...did you post these Canadian ones?

No, I didn't.

Mont Sutton, Owl's Head
Edelweiss, Vorlage
Mont Gabriel, Mont Garceau or is it St. Donat (or in St. Donat - @SkiBam ? )
Devil's Elbow

I'll come up with some more as I go through the day!!

Jdubkc

Diva in Training
This thread is up my alley. I grew up skiing Colorado and won't go back if I have a choice. (I was a Loveland skier on may days off if that tells you anything. LOL) Apres is fun but the scene in Colorado just turns me off. Maybe it is because I recently had a friend talk me into Beaver Creek which was such a disappointment.

Found Alta twenty years ago, and I thought I'd found heaven. Don't miss a season at Alta. Since then have sought out so many old school gems. At the top of my list are Pow Mow, Grand Targhee, and right now am at Schweitzer for the first time. I think I've found the best gem of them all. Family of four our awesome lodging on the lake is so cheap for "luxury", the restaurants are top notch, and the lift tickets cost us $500 for four people for four days. We are just getting pounded by snow. Shh, don't tell anyone about Schweitzer PLEASE. Go old school!

echo_VT

Angel Diva
i've been to ski butternut. i think this list isn't exhaustive. definitely feel that belleayre is one, and hunter still has one foot still in the door, while the other foot has moved onto resort-ish standards.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Interesting selection for this Jan 2018 article about old-school ski areas. There is a good short description of each. The only one not on my list yet was Wolf Creek. Makes me more curious to check out Brian Head some time. Have heard it's a good place for a family looking for Utah powder at a bargain price when they first start flying out west and the kids are still intermediates.

https://www.mademan.com/old-school-ski-resorts-gnarlier-think/

Magic, VT
Red Mountain, BC
Bridger Bowl, MT
Brian Head, UT
Mad River Glen, VT
Wolf Creek, CO
Grand Targhee, WY
Plattekill, NY

KarenD

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Of the ones on the lists, I've skied:

Alta, UT
Brighton, UT
Homewood, CA
Powder Mountain, UT
Grand Targhee, ID

One I don't think I've seen mentioned but which definitely felt old school when I skied it (though they may have updated since) is Brundage Mountain in Idaho.

I've seen Schweitzer, ID mentioned a couple times. It's my home resort in part because of the old school feel. It's been upgrading to become a destination resort--and it has the acreage, with 2900-- but it's easy to forget that when you're sitting on the Snow Ghost double for 13 minutes while your legs fall asleep (though rumors have it this is the second to last season for that chair) or when you're in the Outback lodge, which feels like it's hardly changed since it was built in 1971.

marzNC

Angel Diva
One I don't think I've seen mentioned but which definitely felt old school when I skied it (though they may have updated since) is Brundage Mountain in Idaho.

I've seen Schweitzer, ID mentioned a couple times. It's my home resort in part because of the old school feel. It's been upgrading to become a destination resort--and it has the acreage, with 2900-- but it's easy to forget that when you're sitting on the Snow Ghost double for 13 minutes while your legs fall asleep (though rumors have it this is the second to last season for that chair) or when you're in the Outback lodge, which feels like it's hardly changed since it was built in 1971.
Schweitzer is on the "to be added list." Waiting until the thread gets to the next page. The list is still not comprehensive because that's not the point, but it has gotten pretty long. Divas get around. :smile:

Brundage certainly fits in the old school category from a quick look at their website.

newboots

Angel Diva
@liquidfeet - Thank you for that post, above! I lost track of this thread and just read it tonight.

Although I'm a new skier, I resonate so deeply with all that you wrote. I'm not attracted to big, glitzy lodges with expensive food and crowds. I love the rustic, worn, slightly shabby ski areas with low prices and familiar faces. I have a Killington pass, but I discovered Pico - on the same pass, a smaller mountain with a single, wooden lodge. A huge fireplace and crying babies. (I'm not fond of listening to crying babies, but it's better than drinking a Budweiser for $8.50. In a can.) I still miss Berkshire East, but Pico is a size I can relate to.

Despite their difficulty, I also prefer winding trails. I like skiing because it's a way to be in the mountains in the winter. Although I (certainly) understand how it can be easier to manage wide, parking-lot style trails, I kind of hate them. I like to arrive at the curve and see what's beyond it.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know where Tenney Mountain is - I've driven by the signs. That would be great if they re-opened.
Maybe a diva meet up when they do? I am curious how old school they will remain with their building plans

From today's Concord paper -"...the development group is planning to eventually build an 80-unit hotel, 90 townhouses, some stores, a “senior living community,” and “an apartment complex for (Plymouth State) University clientele,” with a timeline of five to eight years to get it all built.

But then again, a slopeside senior living community?

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
@newboots : I love Pico, too!
Suicide Six, VT and Quechee just down the road certainly qualify as "old school".
Cataloochee and Beech Mountain, NC are also qualifiers. Beech did take out the elementary school cafeteria tables, thank heavens!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Maybe a diva meet up when they do? I am curious how old school they will remain with their building plans

From today's Concord paper -"...the development group is planning to eventually build an 80-unit hotel, 90 townhouses, some stores, a “senior living community,” and “an apartment complex for (Plymouth State) University clientele,” with a timeline of five to eight years to get it all built.

But then again, a slopeside senior living community?
Having talked with Michael in person a little over a year ago, the Tenney ski hill is not going to change much even as the other land is developed. He showed me the overview map. Clearly taking a long view, as opposed to trying to make a quick buck and leave.

In the winter, the slopes for skiing/boarding and the tubing hill will be amenities to the local residents as well as for the local community. I would guess that the hotel will be a base for conferences and weddings year round. While there will be folks who make the drive for the Tenney terrain, it's not trying to become a ski resort in the sense that Sunday River or Loon are resorts.

marzNC

Angel Diva
@newboots : I love Pico, too!
Suicide Six, VT and Quechee just down the road certainly qualify as "old school".
Cataloochee and Beech Mountain, NC are also qualifiers. Beech did take out the elementary school cafeteria tables, thank heavens!
What about App? Sugar seems to try hard to be something more than old school, although I haven't been for a while so don't know if they are succeeding or not. Certainly the big building at the top of the mountain doesn't give off any rustic vibes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna