• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Do you wear your bottom baselayer inside your boot cuff??

MissySki

Angel Diva
So I was just reading people's opinion on another site about whether they wear their baselayers inside of their boot. Many say they fold it up so it just comes to the top of their boot or even cut their baselayer at that point.

I've never thought of this. I put on my ski socks and then pull on my under armour cold gear pants (which are pretty skin tight so I couldn't fold up that high..) Then I wear a hard shell pair of pants over that which is obviously not inside my boot.

So, I was just wondering what everyone else does. Is it wrong to have my baselayer in my boot?? I've never had any trouble, I don't even feel them, and they don't bunch at all because of the fit.. Just got me wondering..:noidea:

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Is it wrong to have my baselayer in my boot?? I've never had any trouble, I don't even feel them, and they don't bunch at all because of the fit.. Just got me wondering..:noidea:

I think the responses will vary. I don't think it's wrong to have your base layer in the boot. Depending on the thickness of the base layer, it may affect how the cuff packs out, maybe? :noidea: Or the fit in the ankle area?

For myself, I don't do it because I can't find a base layer with an elastic band that doesn't jut into my ankle when it's in the boot. And, if I pull the layer up, the bands jut into my calf. So, I wear capri length base layers.

I mean, as long as you're not stuffing the gaiter part of your ski pant inside your boot, you'll be fine. :smile:

altagirl

Staff member
IMHO - this is only an issue if you are wearing something that either bunches, has thick seams that you can feel, or they are otherwise annoying you. I wear CW-X tights (the full lenth version) and because they are flat seamed, I can't feel them in my boots. I have an extra fleecy layer that I will wear on really cold days, and in those, I push them up higher so they sit on top of the cuff of the boot.

If the seams on anything are ever annoying, they make capri length base layers. Personally, for something truly fitted, I feel like having that bottom seam around my calves (which are pretty big) would lead to cutting off circulation, so I prefer having it around my ankle, which is small enough that it's not an issue, provided the garment has flat seams.

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I put my socks on and then pull my baselayer up over the socks and leave the cuff just above the level of my boots but still over my socks. I really have NO room in my boots for anything but my socks. :laugh:

MissySki

Angel Diva
Now I am going to have to try this with my new boots, because I haven't yet. Last year my boots were too big and I def didn't feel anything while having them inside, but my boots are much tighter now so we will see. Since I have such a skinny ankle, I guess it could help to fatten it up a little? lol

Others seemed to have very strong opinions on this, so I am glad to see here that it isn't the case. I was just a little taken aback that I might have been doing something that was taboo and I didn't know it, I feel better that it seems to be more personal comfort and preference.

Pequenita- I didn't even know there were capri length base layers though, good to file away for future reference, perhaps I'll try some out next time I'm in the market for a new baselayer..

AggieK

Certified Ski Diva
LOL, I am one of those crazies who is obsessed with a smooth line under my boot. Just the sock, with the legging pushed way up to the boot cuff. I'm like the princess with the pea if there is even a wrinkle in my sock. Maybe I should get help for this.

SLCBelle

Certified Ski Diva
I put my socks on and then pull my baselayer up over the socks and leave the cuff just above the level of my boots but still over my socks. I really have NO room in my boots for anything but my socks. :laugh:

Same here. I had to split the seams at the ankle of my base layer to pull them up higher on my calves but if I have anything in my boots other than my one (SmartWool) sock, I'll get sore spots.

altagirl

Staff member
Others seemed to have very strong opinions on this, so I am glad to see here that it isn't the case. I was just a little taken aback that I might have been doing something that was taboo and I didn't know it, I feel better that it seems to be more personal comfort and preference.

The funny thing is that my bootfitter gave me a big speech about nothing other than a super thin liner sock in the boot! And then sold me the full length CW-X tights. He explained what he meant was no thick socks (the important part is the ankle and foot) and no bulky layers or anything that could bunch around your calf. :laugh:

RuthB

Angel Diva
LOL, I am one of those crazies who is obsessed with a smooth line under my boot. Just the sock, with the legging pushed way up to the boot cuff. I'm like the princess with the pea if there is even a wrinkle in my sock. Maybe I should get help for this.

Same here - I'm even obsessive about how thick and smooth the sock is and where the toe seam sits when I have my boot on. Guess I need help too.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
IMHO - this is only an issue if you are wearing something that either bunches, has thick seams that you can feel, or they are otherwise annoying you. I wear CW-X tights (the full lenth version) and because they are flat seamed, I can't feel them in my boots. I have an extra fleecy layer that I will wear on really cold days, and in those, I push them up higher so they sit on top of the cuff of the boot.

If the seams on anything are ever annoying, they make capri length base layers. Personally, for something truly fitted, I feel like having that bottom seam around my calves (which are pretty big) would lead to cutting off circulation, so I prefer having it around my ankle, which is small enough that it's not an issue, provided the garment has flat seams.
See, I can't even wear CW-X tights in my boot. I wear capri length Skins and if cold enough another layer of capri length.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I don't wear them in my boot, either. Instead, I roll them up so they're above the cuff. I find they affect my boot fit, especially when I have two layers on. Which I do wear, when it's extremely cold.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wear the thinnest socks I could find, and I never let anything else get between me and my boot. But I have the "huge calf" thing going, so aside from bunching / seam issues I also need to minimize bulk so that I can wear my ski boot comfortably.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My favorite base layer is an old pair of Hot Chillys with stirrups. From the knee down, it is the thinnest nylon stirrup. I put my socks on and pull the pants over the socks. I have never felt anything in my boot or under my feet.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Nothing in my boot other than a foot and a thin sock. I want the blood to circulate and I have a thick calf already. Squishing down the material of a base layer tight enough so I have the same shell response to without it in there would just mean cutting off circulation.

Skise

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My baselayer is quite thin and tight so that's in the boots. If more layers are needed I roll them above the boot.

Covie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
too funny, I was wondering what the norm is too! I like baselayer tights that stop before the boot now, but I used to buckle my boots with my base layer inside when I was younger and wore more comfy (roomier) boots :smile:

SkiGAP

Angel Diva

Goes for me too. I just sort of squish the base layer up though, I'm to lazy to roll 'em up.

altagirl

Staff member
Hehe, maybe I just have fat calves, but I think wearing a compression tight down to my ankle, if anything, is giving me MORE room in my boots, not less.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna