• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Plans for Memorial Day Weekend?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Well, it's almost Memorial Day. So what are you doing for the unofficial start of summer?

I'm doing what a lot of red-blooded Americans on the east coast do -- I'm going to the beach! The water's freezing and gas costs a fortune, but what the heck. It'll be fun anyway.

Lilgeorg

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Last week we went to Kitty Hawk , North Carolina for the Hang Gliding Spectatular Competition. My hubby placed 36th out of 64 competitors who flew the sand dunes of Jockey's Ridge. This is difficult flying for people who normally fly from mountains. Leraning to skim the sand and make low turns is nerve racking. So this weekend , we are back at our home flying site in Ellenville, New York. Believe it or not, running off the top of a 1300 ft mountain is much more comfortable than flying the sand dunes.

We expect over 30 pilots to gather. And after a day of perhaps 2 hour + flights for lots of laughter, food, and beer . It is a wonderful way to start the summer.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Last week we went to Kitty Hawk , North Carolina for the Hang Gliding Spectatular Competition. My hubby placed 36th out of 64 competitors who flew the sand dunes of Jockey's Ridge. This is difficult flying for people who normally fly from mountains. Leraning to skim the sand and make low turns is nerve racking. So this weekend , we are back at our home flying site in Ellenville, New York. Believe it or not, running off the top of a 1300 ft mountain is much more comfortable than flying the sand dunes.

We expect over 30 pilots to gather. And after a day of perhaps 2 hour + flights for lots of laughter, food, and beer . It is a wonderful way to start the summer.
Do you have pics of your hang gliding weekend?
I have to admit, I never thought of hang gliding much until you started talking about it. Now it fascinates me. Not that I'd do it, but I think its awesome!

As for me and my plans this weekend. We're laying low around home. Getting some gardening done, and maybe some well needd rest. Seems we've been "on the go" for far too long.

nelsapbm

Certified Ski Diva
We usually go to Montreal, but doing something different this year - Ottawa. Looking forward to it.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do you have pics of your hang gliding weekend?
I have to admit, I never thought of hang gliding much until you started talking about it. Now it fascinates me. Not that I'd do it, but I think its awesome!
Bump for another Memorial day as well as a possible new adventure for me!
My immediate Memorial weekend plans include two days at the motorcycle track for the first motocross race of the season, which should be fun and a lot of work all rolled up into one sweet package.

But.....the bigger reason for bumping this thread........

I have long admired the energy and enthusiasm of LilGeorg and Mr LilGeorg. Their passion for hang gliding is inspiring to say the least, but it never really occurred to me that I may have the desire to join in the fun, until my cousin showed me this video and asked if I'd want to join her for some hang gliding just 45 minutes from my house.
I have no idea why, but I immediately said, Yes!
She's lining things up and I'm going shopping for a big set of balls, because I'm sure I'll need them.

I can do this...Right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVkYYEWdP8w&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Efacebook%2Ecom%2Fhome%2Ephp%3Fref%3Dhome&feature=player_embedded

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Of course you can do it! What fun!

I'm excited for my weekend as well as I'm running my first 10k since I was around 12 years old. Having worked hard to get to this point physically I'm so very excited to run this race. And, I know so many people running including Divas and other friends.

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Way cool! I've been gliding in both of those places (not from a high start position, though). Ellenville will be beautiful this weekend.

I'm basically taking it easy, watching the Yankees and reading while getting some sun.

DH and I are flying out tomorrow to Southern Ohio to see 3 of our kids and hang out for the weekend. Cincinnati chili and Graeter's ice cream, taking the kids shopping, the zoo, that sort of thing. Note: "kids" are 13, 15, and 21. :D

Mary Tee

Angel Diva
The boat will go in the water this weekend, and with any luck the wind will calm down and we will have the first water ski of the season.:thumbsup:

Lilgeorg

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hang gliding is a blast. This weekend should be perfect weather for it. Tricia, be careful that you get lessons from an experienced pilot. Check for Hang ratings of at lest at 3 but better a 4. Then have fun!

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have some Skyline for me, SNWL! (I'd say Graeter's, too, but I can get that here now :becky:) Are you going to the Taste of Cincinnati? We always used to go...so much fun, and great food!

As for me, I have no idea what I'm doing beyond running the Bolder Boulder on Monday. DS is going to his dad's for Sunday and Monday. No clue what I'm going to do with the time beyond the race!

Jenny

Angel Diva
No real plans - my niece's 16th birthday party is tomorrow night and Saturday is the annual plant shopping day, but then there are two full days that are totally unplanned.

If I'm good, I'll haul out the photo books and label the pictures from our last two or three trips, assuming I can remember anything at this point!

Or I'll go to the library, stock up on books, and read until I can't read anymore.

Are you going to the Taste of Cincinnati?

Yep,we're planning to go to the Taste, probably Saturday night after the zoo. I've never been to that zoo, come to think of it, other than the Central Park zoo, I don't think I've been to a zoo since I was a kid!

I only had Graeters once, in 1979 when I was visiting Cincinnati with my college boyfriend who was from North Avondale. I've been back twice in the last 8 years but haven't managed to get any so I went on line and put in Loveland's zip code and got a list of all Graeter's stores and the Kroger supermarkets that sell it. I'm determined to get me some black raspberry dark chocolate chunk!

Since I've been in New England, I have consistently made friends with people only to find out that they are from Ohio. Nice folks come from Ohio, and the midwest. :smile:

Jilly

Staff member
We usually go to Montreal, but doing something different this year - Ottawa. Looking forward to it.

You just missed the Tulip Festival. But still lots to do!

Me, I'm working. Our holiday was last Monday. But on tap for the weekend is a dragon boat paddling clinic and planting!

abc

Banned
Doing my "Memorial Day Usual": ride my bike up to the Berkshires, spend the weekend riding around up there, eat and party, ride back home on Monday!

Will ride up to Bish Bash from the NY side. Never done that before (always ride up from the MA side). Should be interesting (and grueling, since I'm not in "season shape" yet).

Expect to put about ~200 mi for the weekend. Enough to jump start my season, finally.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hang gliding is a blast. This weekend should be perfect weather for it. Tricia, be careful that you get lessons from an experienced pilot. Check for Hang ratings of at lest at 3 but better a 4. Then have fun!
Thanks for the tips. Doesn't look like we will be going this weekend, but will definitely make sure that I'm well equipped and well informed when I take the leap.

I'll also make sure to get pictures! :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna