• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Yoga.....school me please

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't think anyone has quite addressed something that I noticed about your comment. "Extremely out of shape and inflexible" - flexibility and fitness are not prerequisites for yoga (or really for any activity you want to do, but especially for yoga). I know how tempting it is to say, oh, I don't look like the other people in that gym - I won't go in there until I look like they do.

thanks for picking up on that point. luckily I'm past that stage in my life. I'm more concerned with being able to get the most out of what I'm there for and not getting hurt. My own physical and mental well-being is on the line these days so what others look like doesn't even factor into it.

I think I found something (relatively) close that I will try this week.

altagirl

Staff member
I like hot yoga (sometimes) too. It is worth a try at some point. I know the sweating out toxins thing is not scientific, but man, when I haven't been in a while, my sweat just STINKS. Go regularly and it smells clean. And there is nothing I've ever done that makes me sweat like hot yoga. That. .. circulation of sweat has to be doing something.

Maybe it's just making me drink loads of water and flushing me out. ...

Last edited:

Mrs Hutchins

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I second everyone's points on here, the one thing to keep in mind is to stay in your own practice. Don't worry about what those around you are doing, but stay true to your own practice! It's amazing the progress you make if you listen to your body and don't push yourself into a place you don't belong.

....yoga has changed my life. I started when I had major back problems, and continued when I found so many other things changing for the positive, too. :smile: I hope you enjoy it as much as so many of us here!!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, yeah, I have done that definitely. I just always think it's funny that the most impossible thing for me is that rest.

I often can't do shivasana at the end of class - my back objects. A blanket under my knees helps a bit, but sometimes I'll do bound ankle with my feet on a blanket, and that's more comfortable for me. Go figure. Today I was at the back of the room, so I was able to do legs against the wall - yum.

Mrs Hutchins

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I often can't do shivasana at the end of class - my back objects. /QUOTE]

There is a super awesome modification of reclined cobbler's pose that I often do instead, it involves a few props, but it's amazing. You use a strap around your legs, blocks under your knees and you recline on a bolster. It's legitimately heaven. It allows the body to completely let go, something I often have trouble with even in basic shivasana.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There is a super awesome modification of reclined cobbler's pose that I often do instead, it involves a few props, but it's amazing. You use a strap around your legs, blocks under your knees and you recline on a bolster. It's legitimately heaven. It allows the body to completely let go, something I often have trouble with even in basic shivasana.

I have learned things today:
* Reclined cobbler's = bound angle
* It's bound angle, not bound ankle (but bound ankle made sense to me!)

I think I understand the blocks and bolster, but what do you use the strap for?

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
We did reclining bound angle with straps in my Iyengar class last night. You pull your heels to the groin, place hands outside legs and place strap along balls of feet. The straps let's you place some tension into the pose if you can't reach your feet with your hands.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We did reclining bound angle with straps in my Iyengar class last night. You pull your heels to the groin, place hands outside legs and place strap along balls of feet. The straps let's you place some tension into the pose if you can't reach your feet with your hands.

That doesn't sound like the same thing - @Mrs Hutchins was saying the body could completely let go.

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
I let go. Don't put too much emphasis on the word tension. The straps help you reach your feet to hold them in the pose. I wouldn't be able to Ben my knees enough to bring my ankles toward my groin.

altagirl

Staff member
So what exactly is "power" yoga?
It's a style, but somewhat vague, meaning classes vary place to place and there are a lot of variations. My regular studio offers three levels. It's basically a vinyasa (flow) class intended to give you a workout/make you sweat.

altagirl

Staff member
I have learned things today:
* Reclined cobbler's = bound angle
* It's bound angle, not bound ankle (but bound ankle made sense to me!)

I think I understand the blocks and bolster, but what do you use the strap for?
Technically, cobblers=bound angle=baddha konasana.

Reclined cobblers=reclined bound angle=supta baddha konasana=goddess pose

altagirl

Staff member
supta_baddha_konasana.jpg

The strap lets you relax while keeping your feet in closer. It does feel good, too me anyway.

Mrs Hutchins

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@bounceswoosh -- It's a little different than what BackCountryGirl did at her class, you kind of wrap the strap around your back, over your groin and then around your ankles:

bas_238_mod1_fnl_ch1.jpg

This poor man in the pose looks a little... locked and loaded... but you can obviously adjust the straps as needed. :smile:

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Restorative yoga as taught in the Iyengar tradition is not as passive as restorative yoga is taught by, say, me and my teachers. :smile: For instance, I've seen downward facing dog with your head resting on a block considered restorative in the Iyengar tradition. And it is, in a sense. On the other hand, it's not passive because it's not like you're not using the rest of your body to hold yourself up.

The reclined cobbler's pose in the photos has the strap as a hammock, so you can let go, though for some people the strap itself presses against their skin, etc. Alternatively, you could place folded blankets under the thighs, and if using a bolster is too extreme a backbend, you could use folded blankets, etc.

@bounceswoosh, putting a bolster under your thighs (rather than knees) or just more blankets rolled into the size of a bolster helps with low back issues. Placement under the thighs is what actually gets your pelvis to tilt and give relief to your back, so think of placing it there, rather than under the knees. You could also do legs up the wall if you can get to a wall, or make a bench with two blocks and a bolster, and placing your calves on the "bench" with knees and hips at 90˚ angles. :smile:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I feel like by the time I got all those props in place, everyone would already be gone and the studio would be locked for the night =P

altagirl

Staff member
I feel like by the time I got all those props in place, everyone would already be gone and the studio would be locked for the night =P
You wouldn't do that in a normal class, but in restore, or at the end of yin, something where you use a sea of props the whole class, take time to set up and lots of time in each pose to make it worth it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga