• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Yoga.....school me please

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So my doctor thinks yoga will be good for me and I think I agree. HOWEVER....I am extremely out of shape and very inflexible. I've had both knees replaced and bend about as well as I did before but without any pain. So. Which type of yoga should I look for? There seems to be a lot around here to choose from. Scheduling will probably be my biggest obstacle since I work nights. Thanks!

Jilly

Staff member
Around here all the classes are 9am so you shouldn't have any problem with scheduling.

As for what type we have a few instructors around here.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey @Swamp Dog, don't worry about the flexibility!

Why does your doctor want you to try yoga and what are your expectations from the practice?

In general, I would stay away from Bikram and Ashtanga, and find something that is labeled either 1 or beginners. IMHO, "flow" or "vinyasa" classes don't make a lot of sense for new students, even if they are labeled 1 or beginners, because moving from pose to pose in a true "flow" requires either a very precise teacher for beginners or a student's knowledge base of what the poses are called. Best case scenario is if you can find a beginners series, because it'll build on itself.

If you can get over the anal retentiveness of Iyengar teachers (they are very precise about how you use props, down to how you fold blankets, and some teachers are not entirely kind about it), it's a really great practice because you are strongly encouraged to use props to make poses accessible to you. Then, the length of time you hold them also strengthens the body.

Sometimes people mistake the Yin practice for "stretching." In some ways it is, but the theory behind the practice is that you are lubricating the joints/connective tissues. In practice, it can be intense - you are holding poses for 5-ish minutes each, and they are not intended to be comfortable. Usually partway through yin classes, I am swearing to myself. I'm an even worse teacher because I see people in discomfort and want to move them out if it...!

Finally, I would encourage you to read the profiles of the teachers that are teaching classes you are interested in. Sometimes the bios are a little fluffy, but other times they can be helpful in getting a sense of where your instructor may be coming from. And remember, some teachers are just not going to resonate with you. :smile:

Feel free to PM me or post descriptions of classes if you want help translating.

Jenny

Angel Diva

Totally agree with the first statement above. If I'd ended up in one of those classes first, that would've been the end of yoga for me. I needed, and luckily got, an instructor who was very good at making sure we were in the right positions so that we wouldn't hurt ourselves. But I needed the extra time to make sure I could analyze the changes she was telling me, which I wouldn't have been able to do if I had to right away flow to something else. And she's very good about suggesting alternatives, too. And now that I've had quite a few different teachers, I know that there are some whose style I just don't like as well, which also makes a difference with sticking to it.

The other thing - and I only speak anecdotally on this - studios can be different, too. For example, where I go is pretty casual, and if she says we're going to do some pose which we think is impossible, no one thinks twice about bursting out laughing or with a "not in this lifetime" comment. We also socialize before class, rather than come in quietly and start calming and centering ourselves. I get the impression that in some other studios in town this would be very, very bad form. But it all depends on what you like.

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
Unlike Pequenita, I am not a yoga teacher. But I am an extremely inflexible yoga afficianado. I completely agree with the recommendation to look for an Iyengar certified instructor. Kripalu certified instructors who teach Iyengar or Hathayoga classes would also be good. In New England, you're likely to find many!

Props are really important for folks like you and me. Blocks, straps, blankets, etc. When I am sitting in a "butterfly position," for example, with the soles of my feet together about 18" from my groin, I must put blocks underneath my knees for support; my hips simply don't rotate enough to allow me to rest them on the floor and there shouldn't be that sort of tension in a pose. In my area, many of the studios will allow you to take a class or two for free. And, for example, we have a great many yoga classes at the Y at which I work. Have you asked friends who may go to classes? That is usually the best way to identify good people.

Yoga has made me more flexible and I really like to feeling of tranquility I get after a good session. My body type and joint structure simply will never be flexible, but I do think that yoga has improved my ROM, even in my lousy knees.

Good luck! I am sure you will enjoy practice.

altagirl

Staff member
Yoga has been amazing for my knees, and honestly, I've gotten more flexibility out of Ashtanga than anything, but I agree it's a very tough practice to start with.
I would recommend Forrest yoga for you - it can be challenging but moves slowly so you're not rushed while learning poses, and it's pretty accessible. I think good for active/sporty people who need flexibility, balance, and core strength.

You might also find something in the Deep Flow vein (not a trademarked type of class) something that moves slowly and allows/encourages modifications. My studios generally have "stiffer bodies" classes too.

altagirl

Staff member
Also, realize that no matter the class, follow your gut. If it's not happening, go to child's pose. Teachers may have great modification recommendations, but can't know what is going on in your body. You can always say no, refuse their hands on adjustments, etc. I know my favorite classes have a lot of hands on adjustments, but remember to not only advise the teacher of your medical history, but keep in mind you can say no to any of it.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Also, realize that no matter the class, follow your gut. If it's not happening, go to child's pose. Teachers may have great modification recommendations, but can't know what is going on in your body. You can always say no, refuse their hands on adjustments, etc. I know my favorite classes have a lot of hands on adjustments, but remember to not only advise the teacher of your medical history, but keep in mind you can say no to any of it.

... or not. :tongue: That kills me more than anything... I was feeling better in my knees earlier this summer, and did some of that during stretching, and really irritated my left knee for a few weeks. (But, the good thing is, two years ago, I couldn't have even considered bending that leg so far, so there's that.)

altagirl

Staff member
You don't even have to get your knees to 90 degrees if you don't want to. .. or pick something else for a rest pose if you need to.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You don't even have to get your knees to 90 degrees if you don't want to. .. or pick something else for a rest pose if you need to.

Oh, yeah, I have done that definitely. I just always think it's funny that the most impossible thing for me is that rest.

altagirl

Staff member
Oh, yeah, I have done that definitely. I just always think it's funny that the most impossible thing for me is that rest.

Yeah - it definitely varies person to person and I've had that thought too. There are times when I'm fully in it and others where I'm in some sort of variation or have a block under my butt so I can rest without over flexing my knees if they are unhappy or have like a blanket under my knees... etc. (I always use two thick mats. Finding the right combo so they don't slip took a little while, but that helps me a lot).

If you know child's pose is out of the question for you, really any seated pose (cross legged or hero's pose on a block/bolster would be common variations) or even lying in savasana is pretty self explanatory that you need a rest from what is being taught. And assuming it's not just a gigantic crowded class, I'd say it's usually fine to flag down the teacher to ask for options on something too. (That's another plus for slower paced classes - they have time to give alternate poses, whereas in a vinyasa power class there just isn't much time to provide alternatives.)

I know the studio I go to also has fundamentals classes as well, which are really helpful. They way they run it, it's basically a class where you go in and the class is like a workshop on whatever the students have questions about, and they spend as much time as is needed on whatever poses there are questions about. And that's a great way to see all sorts of variations on common poses, as well as to fine tune things that might take a while to pick up in a faster moving class.

Honestly - look through the class schedules of studios in your area. If you can't figure out the class descriptions - post them up. I'm sure we can help decipher the styles, etc. There is bound to be something appropriate to get started with. And I doubt you'll have any problem finding daytime classes - my complaints are always "what lucky person has the schedule where they can go to all these great classes 10am, or 2pm, etc. classes on weekdays?"

Oh - one other thing I was going to say is to understand "restorative" classes. They can be wonderful - it's generally more about relaxation and gentle stretching/mobility. (Which may be just what your doctor ordered.... or not!) Non-restorative style yoga will help improve your balance and core strength too, but you're not going to get that in a restore class. And honestly - I think that's the typical class that people go to who come away from their one yoga class and declare it to be "easy/boring". There is certainly a time and place for restorative yoga, but don't think it's all there is.

Last edited:

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great advice, for sure; I am not looking for classes, but I know someone will find it a help. I have been in a few yoga classes, but very few; I just do some random progressions in the privacy of mine own basement. Not much for group class things to work out, never really liked it. But it's always good to learn a few things you can use.

abc

Banned
What's a child pose?

(I know of one but perhaps not the one you guys are talking about, since there's nothing 90 degree about it -- nor is it very restful)

altagirl

Staff member
Extended-childs-pose.jpg

This is traditional, and is actually very relaxing and comfortable if your hips/knees/shoulders/feet bend like that. I generally go with knees/shins much wider apart, which also makes it easier to breathe deeply.

Variation with props:
mod1child.jpg

Puppy pose variation with knees at a 90 degree angle:
childs-pose-puppy-pose-650x183.jpg

abc

Banned
Oh funny!

I use the child pose for stretching my lower back! No wonder I don't exactly found it restful. ;-)

I guess I'm reasonably flexible (I wouldn't have thought that as a kid, but I fortunately hadn't lost too much of my flexibility so far). And I'm taught to stay balanced, and only use my breathing to accomplish whatever I'm trying to achieve without straining myself. So almost all the posts I've learnt so far are static.

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If it's not happening, go to child's pose.

haha...I don't even know what that is! Lots of good and interesting info in everyone's replies, thanks. I'm reading through them all and then I'll see what's available in my area.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So my doctor thinks yoga will be good for me and I think I agree. HOWEVER....I am extremely out of shape and very inflexible. I've had both knees replaced and bend about as well as I did before but without any pain. So. Which type of yoga should I look for? There seems to be a lot around here to choose from. Scheduling will probably be my biggest obstacle since I work nights. Thanks!

I don't think anyone has quite addressed something that I noticed about your comment. "Extremely out of shape and inflexible" - flexibility and fitness are not prerequisites for yoga (or really for any activity you want to do, but especially for yoga). I know how tempting it is to say, oh, I don't look like the other people in that gym - I won't go in there until I look like they do. But they didn't necessarily start that way. Some of them got that way by doing the work, and may have shown up looking/feeling the same way you do. Yoga in particular is all about your own personal journey, and a good yoga instructor understands that each body is different, sometimes even day to day, and some things just aren't going to happen for one body that are easy for another. Or they might happen after ten years of extremely gradual progression.

I definitely think you should look for a class as opposed to DVDs. I've tried a lot of yoga DVDs, and they generally don't offer great variations or don't explain everything. And there is something, I know this is all spiritual woo-woo, but the energy of all of these people in the room doing yoga is just fantastic. Some days I just want to lie there in savasana soaking it all up.

AG mentioned Forrest, and that is definitely my favorite style, but depending on your location you may not find lots of it around. It's not the best-known form of yoga. It is physically intense, but also very nurturing and protective of joints. But for what you're looking for, it really seems to me like a teacher who provides lots of options and the atmosphere where you do what you need to do in that moment - that is more important than the particular style. Every teacher I've had who's trained in Forrest is like that, but it's not exclusively a Forrest thing.

I adore hot yoga - I'm naturally inflexible, and the heat lets me do a lot of things I just couldn't do otherwise, plus I like sweating out all the junk in my system (even if that's just conceptual). Some people hate hate hate hot yoga. In your search, I'd suggest finding at least one hot class to see what you think. And I'm not a person who likes heat generally - I just seem to really like hot yoga.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna