• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Where to find intermediate bumps?

marzNC

Angel Diva
This post by @brooksnow in another thread brought up a frustration that I've heard before from instructors.

As an instructor I try to find bumps to begin teaching them as soon as possible. My frustration is the grooming of every inch of novice and easier intermediate terrain so there are no beginner bumps to teach/practice on. Often the only bumps are on expert trails but how are people supposed to learn to have fun in the bumps when they don't see them until they're steep and deep? The "bumps" that develop on busy days on the steeper sections of intermediate trails are really just intermittent piles of snow in a vast slip and slide zone, nothing close to a good mogul run. I love a snow day when bumps develop naturally everywhere but those don't happen nearly often enough. Rant over...

Goals? After 4 days of skiing this season feeling stiff I'll say getting back to feeling smooth and flexible on snow. Oh yeah, and improving in trees and bumps!

I'll be at Sugarloaf every day - always happy to get a few runs in with divas if I'm not working.

The question I wonder about is where would someone find intermediate bumps? Of course, depends a lot on which region. In the Rockies, an obvious answer is Taos Ski Valley. Suggestions for the northeast? The midwest? The PacNW?

Jilly

Staff member
Tremblant - Lower Expo, Beauvallon pitch, Nansen pitch, Beauchemin Haut, Windigo and Fuddle Duddle. Lots of places.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Keystone Outback features a couple of blue groomed runs which typically have bumps on the right side. Easy to ski into it, take a few bumps, then exit to the groomer if you start getting into trouble.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
In the Rockies, an obvious answer is Taos Ski Valley.
Yes, this has always been a frustration point for me as well,, since one of my ongoing goals has been to get better in bumps, so I was excited to see that TSV has repurposed a run (Maxie's) that was originally their Terrain Park, into an intermediate bump run. It's actually an interesting run, because it has 3 distinct grades, separated by flat areas, that become progressively steeper, and they don't groom it, so you can choose whichever pitch you like to practice on, or just go from top to bottom, with the pitch increasing (and the bumps getting more challenging) as you progress. There's also a narrow escape route down one side, so you can avoid the parts that are too scary.

They switched the Terrain Park to Lonestar, which I was really annoyed about initially, since Lonestar was a good intermediate bump run, but now that I see what they've done with Maxie's, I've decided to forgive them, LOL.

Amie H

Angel Diva
I wrote about the blue bump runs at Beaver Creek in a usually very quiet area near the Elkhorn lift. It's on my "to do" list to explore again this season. What makes "Home Run" approachable (at least, in my opinion) is that it's in an area of the resort that has very low traffic, so you can take your time picking your line. It is long but broken up into sections. Here is a link to my mention of it in last season's trip report: (scroll toward the end of the entry.) https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/beaver-creek-1-10-23.27335/

There are also a few blue bump runs at Heavenly in Tahoe, which, in my experience, is an intermediate skier's paradise - very "blue" heavy!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
There are also a few blue bump runs at Heavenly in Tahoe, which, in my experience, is an intermediate skier's paradise - very "blue" heavy!
I'm trying to think of the bump runs at Heavenly that are intermediate. Most are not like Waterfall, Liz's ( rated intermediate but really not).

Amie H

Angel Diva
@santacruz skier I can't remember the name of the one I'm thinking of, it's pretty short, it's sort of a shortcut to get back to Tamarack Lodge/Gondola loading area.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
@santacruz skier I can't remember the name of the one I'm thinking of, it's pretty short, it's sort of a shortcut to get back to Tamarack Lodge/Gondola loading area.
I guess some of those runs going back to the Tamarack Lodge can form bumps but most of the bumps are pretty advanced and LONG runs.

LMK when you'll be at Heavenly and I can show you some really great out of the way spots that aren't really runs but more like easy advanced areas... I've been skiing Heavenly since the 70's. Really.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have not skied them, but I hear that Big Sky has some nice ones that are less steep and less giganormous than other resorts in the region.

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There are some low angle bumps at Magic that are fun. Kinderspiel is a green trail that has a rather intimidating entrance but once you get past that there are often bumps on it and it's pretty "flat" so definitely easier bumps to practice on.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
It was definitely an "Oh S%#T moment" :laughter: but I made it , dont know how I did it but I did and made a mental note of exactly how I ended up there so as not to repeat the experience !!
I really enjoy skiing Whistler and Blackcomb ! I've been there probably a half dozen times but it's been about 10 years.

Reactions: AJM

marzNC

Angel Diva
I have not skied them, but I hear that Big Sky has some nice ones that are less steep and less giganormous than other resorts in the region.
There are a couple blue bump runs called Pomp and Lizette on the backside of Andesite Mountain that are great fun. While the bumps don't get that big, the trails are a lot longer than you might expect looking at the trail map. @lisamamot took me there the last time we were at Big Sky together.

There are other blues on Andesite that have short bump sections on the side of relatively wide groomers.

She also introduced me to Single Jack, which is a black bump run over on the Moonlight Basin side. Last season Bill and I had fun on Double Jack. It's a bit steeper at the start so fewer people ski it so the untracked powder lasts longer. Also a steeper section at the end as I remember. Will probably head that way again when we go again in March 2024.

Screen Shot 2023-11-28 at 9.30.30 PM.jpg

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
It was definitely an "Oh S%#T moment" :laughter: but I made it , dont know how I did it but I did and made a mental note of exactly how I ended up there so as not to repeat the experience !!
Definitely can relate! Been there - have several t-shirts, LOL.

• Haha

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
+1 for Lisette at Big Sky
Low angle bumps and beautiful birch trees, room to spread out when skiing w buddies and often sunny. Learned about that run from posts by @marzNC and @lisamamot here, before I met or skied w either one. Their advice is good as gold.

Other favorites:
Agassiz at Bretton Woods
Snake at Bretton Woods
Scarlett’s at Aspen Highlands
Jack of Hearts at Snowmass
Howler at Snowmass
Tell Glade at Taos
Porcupine Bumps at Taos
Racecourse Saddle at Alta, when left ungroomed
Spring Valley at Alta
Exhibition at Alta (choose skier’s left at the bottom under the lift)

A couple of these are labelled Black, but are wide enough to give options for choosing your route down.

Jilly

Staff member
I really enjoy skiing Whistler and Blackcomb ! I've been there probably a half dozen times but it's been about 10 years.
Been many times too.....last trip was 2017 just when Epic got it's hooks into it. Not going back. So many other places to ski (and not stand around in line).

Sutton has some "beginner" glades that are fun.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga