• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What keeps you warm?

skipink

Certified Ski Diva
My Swany mitten gloves like Jilly uses and my Boeri Tactic helmet.

LilaBear

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Down sweater - and it seems to self regulate so I'm never too hot or too cold. Saves effort with the layers on/layers off routine. I only ever get too hot halfway down a major powder field (cos I am overworking it like a lumpen fairy).

I too am very cold and wear everything else listed, even on a warmer day I'm too chicken to remove anything because I know it works - I think I also have the secret fear of being on a stopped chairlift or some other sudden change in circumstances.

I love the tip on hot water in the camel bak. I'll try it too. It's got to be more encouraging to be taking in the right quantities if it's not cooling your core!

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Down sweater for sure, underneath a shell.

Wool baselayer - always warm but never too hot or clammy.

Battery-powered boot heaters have been key to staying warm for me.

Mittens instead of gloves.

Helmet with an Ibex wool helmet liner. Goggles!

Out west, or at a big eastern resort, I wear a backpack with extra layers/space for removing layers, and carrying water. Staying hydrated helps keep you warm. At my home mountain, I ski down to the lodge when I'm cold for some hot chocolate.:smile:

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
If the plastic is warm, you're going to be warm! I couldn't believe the boot gloves. It just a piece of neoprene, how can that keep my feet warm? They work. And I'm skiing quite often at -20C or lower!

Plastic conducts that cold air very well....right through the liner to your foot, so insulating the plastic against the outside air would work well. I don't have boot gloves, but I'd love to try them. Even with boot heaters, sometimes I still wish I had boot gloves.

PowLizard

Certified Ski Diva
Here's my slackcountry setup ( I have zero circulation when still but sweat as soon as my heart rate rises):

Hands - Black Diamond Mercury mitts. Toasty! But it's taking me a while to get used to the lack of fingers. My dream handwarmers are definitely Hestra Heli's - removable liners, warm, leather & a bomber comfy wrist strap for those of us who have to blow their nose on every chair ride and don't want to lose the gloves (next year maybe).

Feet - Smartwool or Icebreaker socks.

Head - helmet; big hood on jacket; light balaclava when it gets nasty.

Baselayer - Patagonia Cap 3 on top. Helly Dry bottoms.

Insulation (top) - fleece 100 zip neck or 200 slim hoody depending on weather.

Outer - venting & wind/waterproof are the essentials. I ski hard but have a slow, exposed chairlift. By having vents in the pants & jackets I can keep from sweating on the way down & zip up on the way up so I don't turn into an ice sculpture. My pants are insulated snowboard pants (thus the light long undies) with thigh vents (inner thigh are better but hard to find). Jacket is 2-ply goretex with full length pit zips.

Innards...CHOCOLATE!!!! And something hot in a thermos is nice if it's really cold.

Because I truly do have the heating system of a lizard, my backcountry setup is crazier, especially when I don't want to pack a bunch of stuff up the skin track but as well don't want to freeze my tush off :brr:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna