• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What keeps you warm?

Kriss240

Certified Ski Diva
My Marmot Mountain Down Jacket - its the warmest piece of gear ever! You really will not be cold in this jacket.

deannatoby

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I knew a girl who used to put hot tea/water in her camel bak. Not only did it keep her warm on her back but through drinking warm fluids, it became a sort-of internal heater.

Your right. Genius. Now I just have to find out what a camel bak is. I see hot soup on the family ski day menu! Is a camel bak like an IV? That would be even better...I guess. I've been trying to figure out a way to bring a slow-cooker to the slopes for a hot lunch, and every scenario seemed more ridiculous than the one before. This idea sounds easier!

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Your right. Genius. Now I just have to find out what a camel bak is. I see hot soup on the family ski day menu! Is a camel bak like an IV? That would be even better...I guess. I've been trying to figure out a way to bring a slow-cooker to the slopes for a hot lunch, and every scenario seemed more ridiculous than the one before. This idea sounds easier!

Camelbak is the brand name of a backpack with a drink bladder integrated into the design. Only problem with this scenario is that with hot chocolate or soup, the tubing could become nigh-impossible to clean. I do think they have specialty cleaning tools now, but you'd have to pull the bladder out, disconnect the tubing, and completely clean the bladder & tubing every day or it would turn into a major bacterial experiment.

However, if you're willing to do it, it would be pretty yummy. As far as soup - it would have to be broth or bouillion (sp?), because veggies or noodles would clog the tube and sipping valve.

I am REALLY liking the idea of hot tea. Especially since my valve has gotten frozen a couple of times!

Re. your slow cooker - check at a camping or RV store. They have power-outlet adapters for EVERYTHING these days. You could probably plug your slow cooker into one of the car's power outlets, provided it didn't suck the battery dry.

MaryLou

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My Marmot Mountain Down Jacket - its the warmest piece of gear ever! You really will not be cold in this jacket.

Yay! I bought one last spring for cheap, haven't used it yet. It's hooded and fits over my helmet - I am all set (I hope). Have a few layers for over and/or under and wind/waterproof shell, feel totally ready for a cold snowy winter.

retromaven

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not to be too cheeky here, but menopause is the ultimate cure for being too cold. That's how I did it. Went from Ms. Frostbite to Mrs. I'm Sweating to death even in below zero temps.

The only problem I have is my fingers from time to time, especially if I sweat in my gloves and then sit on the lift and they get damp, so I bring multiple gloves and on really cold days wear glove liners.

I don't ski up in the frozen tundra though, so what is very cold here for me, is nothing like what you ladies encounter for sure.

I do swear by Smart Wool and do carry two pairs of socks with me, as if my socks get damp when I come in, I change to a dry pair like the gloves and am golden.

Since finally going to skiing in a helmet, that keeps me so warm, and we lose most of our heat through our head, I have never found myself feeling it was too cold to ski, even on a windy -15 day here in NY.

Go figure...

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
I'm another one who gets cold easily, even on comparatively warm days. But I also refuse to miss a ski day out west when I'm fortunate enough to get there! One day at Jackson Hole started out about -25F and our Austrian ski instructor clued us in on putting the chemical toe warmers ~on top~ of your toes, bent just over the edge of the smaller toes. What a difference this tip made! This works so much better for me than the instructions that said to put on the bottom of your sock...

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not to be too cheeky here, but menopause is the ultimate cure for being too cold. That's how I did it. Went from Ms. Frostbite to Mrs. I'm Sweating to death even in below zero temps.

Ah, that explains it...I have a similar experience, the only things that ever can get very cold are my hands. And I will only go so far in sacrificing dexterity for warmth. Towards the end of last season I got a pair of Columbia Omni-Tech gloves that have a very short gauntlet, velcro strap at the wrist, and zippered backs for warmers. LOVE these, plus they have room for liners if it's outrageously cold.

I was wondering why the rest of me wasn't getting cold - now I know!

Jerez

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Icebreaker wool baselayer. Keeps me super warm, but never too hot.
Second that! I use it for cold weather running too.

Also, Swany mittens that have a zipper on the side and a built in glove liner, so i never have to take off my mittens to write or buckle or unfold a trail map. If it's really cold, i pop a handwarmer in the zipper and if my hands and feet are warm, i'm warm.

lastly, i use a hot gear bag, so i start out with toasty warm boots and my feet almost never get cold.

deannatoby

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One day at Jackson Hole started out about -25F and our Austrian ski instructor clued us in on putting the chemical toe warmers ~on top~ of your toes, bent just over the edge of the smaller toes. What a difference this tip made!

I don't get that. Heat rises. Why does it work better to put them on the top? I am absolutely NOT doubting you, and I will certainly be trying that this season, but it sure goes opposite to what I would have thought. Maybe the skin on the bottom of your foot is thicker, so the thinner skin on top feels and conducts the heat better?

But, this tip is easier to believe than the one about putting the thing on the OUTSIDE of the boot. Now that one really got me puzzled. But, I'll certainly try it, too (after I get those boot cover things).

Jilly

Staff member
But, this tip is easier to believe than the one about putting the thing on the OUTSIDE of the boot. Now that one really got me puzzled. But, I'll certainly try it, too (after I get those boot cover things).

If the plastic is warm, you're going to be warm! I couldn't believe the boot gloves. It just a piece of neoprene, how can that keep my feet warm? They work. And I'm skiing quite often at -20C or lower!

Acrophobia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here is my staying-warm routine:

Costco handwarmers, unwrapped en route and stuffed into boot toes. Upon arrival at the mountain, remove handwarmers and put into mittens. Put on toasty boots.

Big, heavy mittens with ultrathin glove liners. The glove liners wick away any hand sweat, so your hands always feel dry.

Helmet with skullcap underneath

Three layers: wool baselayer, windproof fleece midlayer, goretex shell. If it's really cold, down sweater or vest.

Goretex pants with CW-X liners underneath.

Smartwool socks

At lunch, remove boots and put handwarmers (from mittens) inside.

If all else fails - hot chocolate at the lodge.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Here is my staying-warm routine:

Costco handwarmers, unwrapped en route and stuffed into boot toes. Upon arrival at the mountain, remove handwarmers and put into mittens. Put on toasty boots.

Big, heavy mittens with ultrathin glove liners. The glove liners wick away any hand sweat, so your hands always feel dry.

Helmet with skullcap underneath

Three layers: wool baselayer, windproof fleece midlayer, goretex shell. If it's really cold, down sweater or vest.

Goretex pants with CW-X liners underneath.

Smartwool socks

At lunch, remove boots and put handwarmers (from mittens) inside.

If all else fails - hot chocolate at the lodge.

Sounds good to me, Acrophobia! But late last winter I was also introduced to something called a "Peppermint Patty": add peppermint schnapps to that hot chocolate! :wink:

Acrophobia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sounds good to me, Acrophobia! But late last winter I was also introduced to something called a "Peppermint Patty": add peppermint schnapps to that hot chocolate! :wink:

Ha!

Unfortunately, I've learned - booze and skiing don't mix, at least midday. Apres ski, on the other hand... :beer:

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
I must shivver off any Peppermint Patty effects as these were consumed on blizzard days; my Swiss skiing companion said this was the "Swiss way" to deal with the conditions of the day!

C

CMCM

Where exactly does Costco put the handwarmers, are they sold in a big box or what? I've never seen/noticed them...

newskier378

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have raynauds in my feet to the point where they get numb sitting in cold classrooms so thanks so much for the warm feet tips I'm going to have to try some of those out.

The thing I have bought that has above and beyond been the most effective in keeping me warm is my patagonia capilene 3 baselayers. They are so warm, haven't used them a ton for skiing yet, but before I moved out to ski country i used them for walks on zero degree days and nothing kept me warmer.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't get that. Heat rises. Why does it work better to put them on the top? I am absolutely NOT doubting you, and I will certainly be trying that this season, but it sure goes opposite to what I would have thought. Maybe the skin on the bottom of your foot is thicker, so the thinner skin on top feels and conducts the heat better?

The "boot things" even by themselves make a huge difference. I was skeptical, too, until I tried them.

As for top of foot vs bottom, I think it has to do with getting the heat closer to the blood flow, which is more accessible on the thinner top of foot.

Jilly

Staff member
Our Costco has the hand warmers by the case in the sports section. Box is bigger than a shoe box, but not as big as a ski boot box!

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
The "boot things" even by themselves make a huge difference. I was skeptical, too, until I tried them.

As for top of foot vs bottom, I think it has to do with getting the heat closer to the blood flow, which is more accessible on the thinner top of foot.

Sounds logical to me. And I think there's actually more contact area on top rather than just toe pads and then ball of foot... Putting the toe warmers on top really saved my Jackson Hole trip when -8F the last day was "having a heat wave"!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna