• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Waterproof & Breathable, how do different fabrics compare?

Tvan

Angel Diva

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
well my Patagonia "water proof" shell is not waterproof.. found that out yesterday. :-(

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
1.5yrs. not sure of the name.. the label says :sty83406fa15
it looks exactly like the Triolet jacket.,

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
well my Patagonia "water proof" shell is not waterproof.. found that out yesterday. :-(
Darn. My Patagonia w nano insulation did great. Kjus formula pants very waterproof... Neckwarmer not so much.... Gloves were not either...
Today think lifts not even running now.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Darn. My Patagonia w nano insulation did great. Kjus formula pants very waterproof... Neckwarmer not so much.... Gloves were not either...
Today think lifts not even running now.

I had the nano underneath at least that is warm when wet and dries quickly. my shoulders and back were wet when I went in.
my shell is the triolet, it was the first time it was ever out in the wet.. I may send back and ask for more waterproofing..

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I had the nano underneath at least that is warm when wet and dries quickly. my shoulders and back were wet when I went in.
my shell is the triolet, it was the first time it was ever out in the wet.. I may send back and ask for more waterproofing..
Send it back. Patagonia stands behind their products.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Other possibilities:
-Too many layers and you are sweating at a rate that can't transport out
-DWR needs to be refreshed. Have you run it through a low dryer for about 10minutes to reactivate the DWR?
-Jacket need to be laundered and have the DWR reapplied. DWR does not last forever. I do mine once a season. Somewhere here on the site I've detailed the best practices for washing a ski coat.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Somewhere here on the site I've detailed the best practices for washing a ski coat.
That was in Post #23:

Have you done this,
-wash it in regular detergent and then rinse three times.
-then use techwash. It's actually not a cleaner, just a vehicle to get the DWR to bond to the fabric. In case you wondered why things washed in tech wash don't get very clean...
-Then apply DWR.

I know this is what some shops do to renew the DWR, and this is the method I was given by a shop that does 20000 pieces of goretex commercial laundry a year.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Other possibilities:
-Too many layers and you are sweating at a rate that can't transport out
-DWR needs to be refreshed. Have you run it through a low dryer for about 10minutes to reactivate the DWR?
-Jacket need to be laundered and have the DWR reapplied. DWR does not last forever. I do mine once a season. Somewhere here on the site I've detailed the best practices for washing a ski coat.

thanks for the info:
No not many layers.. 200 wt icebreaker, nano puff and the shell. wasn't sweat.
Only have worn about 15-20x only 3-5x in the wet weather.
No haven't tried the dryer. (I don't dry much except jeans/cottons) I'll try this
I do have DWR at home and can try that too..

It was heavy precip.. rain, sleet snow it was caked on but we were all surprised how wet my nano puff was on my shoulders especially..

geargrrl

Angel Diva
imnsho 15-20 is enough to at least need a trip through the dryer. But you can send it back if you want. All they will do is replace it or wash it with DWR.

Christy

Angel Diva
DWR needs to be refreshed. Have you run it through a low dryer for about 10 minutes to reactivate the DWR?

Oh interesting--I didn't know about that. Rain is starting to soak in to rather than bead up on my year old Patagonia Powderbowl, though it's not going through the fabric. I'll try this.

As someone who lives in Seattle and dogwalks rain or shine (particularly on the days I walk shelter dogs, which is on a schedule, so there's no waiting for the rain to stop) is is true that nothing is waterproof forever, or even very long it seems. This morning my formerly wonderful waterproof Teva sneakers were soaked through, my formerly waterproof gloves retained so much water I could wring them out, my Powderbowl as mentioned soaked up water. I didn't realize that it was more about use than being out in the rain or snow though and that we should expect deterioration after 15-20 uses.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Remember there are several components to WPB fabrics. There is the coating or laminate layer, the actual fiber (polyester or nylon) and its technical properties, and a durable water repellent coating. They don't just keep you magically dry forever. UV exposure, dirt, grime, sweat, environmental conditions can and do affect the ability of these fabrics to do their intended job.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Advice from Arc'teryx about maintaining Gortex. Haven't re-read the thread to see if the advice in the video is the same or different from what's been mentioned already.

marzNC

Angel Diva
:bump:
As late season sales get going, seems like a good time to review what makes technical outerwear worth the extra money. From Posts #22-24 by the Diva expert @geargrrl .

https://specialtyoutdoors.com/demystifying-waterproof-breathable-fabrics/
:bump: since we seem to have a number of new readers as the 2018-19 season gets going.

Post #1, Oct 2016:
For a long time, the only waterproof and breathable fabric I knew about was Gore-tex. Now there are several options. A few are only used by one brand, like Marmot, while four are used by more than one brand of outerwear. If you're curious, Gear Patrol has an article called "Waterproof Breathable Technologies Explained". The four covered are Gore-Tex, NeoShell, eVent, Schoeller, and Dermizax NX. Examples of jackets using the different fabrics are included.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga