• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Warmest ski gloves

Am716

Certified Ski Diva
I know there have been topics on this (but all the ones I found were from YEARS ago), or on warmest ski mittens. Obviously I know mittens will be warmer, but I hate them. I want gloves. I currently have some North Face pair which get excellent reviews and many people say they are warm but my fingers freeze in them. I tried a pair of Gordinis on when I was up north and they felt warm in the shop but I wanted to review them before I just bought them. I also tried on some level MITTENS which were super toasty so I was thinking about maybe level gloves?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thank you divas!

newboots

Angel Diva
I read a bunch of reviews and bought the warmest gloves I could find, and they didn't last a week before I was mitten shopping. I hate my mittens, too, but my hands are warm. (I have the OR Mt. Baker mittens with wonderful, toasty gloves inside.) I know this isn't helpful.

My dear BF uses heated gloves. He has a pair from Hestra that are incredibly warm and comfortable even without the heat turned on.

Christy

Angel Diva
Gloves aren't warm. Unless, I suppose, you have the heated kind. But in general, they aren't. I can only wear gloves for spring skiing when it's warm and sunny.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I know there have been topics on this (but all the ones I found were from YEARS ago), or on warmest ski mittens. Obviously I know mittens will be warmer, but I hate them. I want gloves. I currently have some North Face pair which get excellent reviews and many people say they are warm but my fingers freeze in them. I tried a pair of Gordinis on when I was up north and they felt warm in the shop but I wanted to review them before I just bought them. I also tried on some level MITTENS which were super toasty so I was thinking about maybe level gloves?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thank you divas!
Did you notice this thread from late December when it was frigid up and down the east coast? Pretty sure there are comments about how to keep hands warm.

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/best-gear-for-brutally-cold-weather.22294/

Do you only have cold hands? Do you use heat packs with your gloves? What region do you ski in the most?

I had bought a pair of battery-based heated gloves a while back. Used them when it was in the single digits (in northern VA) in early Jan. Did help. Especially found that my thumbs didn't get frozen. I also don't really like mittens. Although I do have one pair just in case.

Randi M.

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I really, really, really like Columbia Omni Heat gear generally. I have their mittens and my hands are toasty even without hand warmers on below zero days. I can’t speak for the gloves but i have to imagine they are warm and can be made even warmer with hand warmer packets.

Powgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wear Outdoor Research Revolution Gloves...they are rated -5 to 25 degrees...I've worn them in 12 degrees and my hands were toasty warm...a couple of days when it was in the mid 30s, my hands were hot!

Am716

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you for the replies! I will start researching the ones that were mentioned. And I hadn’t seen that thread but thank you so much! Lots of hortronics which I am definitely interested in!

I ski in Michigan. And this has been brought on because when I skied at Boyne a couple weekends ago it was -25 to -30 and I froze! I skied two runs and then had to warm up. Perfectly miserable except it was empty.

Now I am going to blue mnt in about two weeks and it looks like the high will be about -10. We really Know how to pick the coldest days! I skied the other day locally and it was in the 20s and my hands were freezing though. I am not sure if my hands were sweating so once they got cold my gloves were wet or what happened. I just have been miserable lately with cold hands and feet.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got these Gordini Polar mittens and wear them with a liner glove. They are very warm. I hate having to wear them, though, for the lack of dexterity, so I only bring them out when the weather calls for the big guns. I had some Hestra Heli gloves briefly, but sold them for the Gordinis because the Helis just didn't keep my hands warm at all. I do like Hestra in general, though: I have their Alpine Pro (I think) lobster-claw glove and it's great in all but the most brutal temps.

https://gordini.com/gloves-mittens/the-polar-mitt-womens/

Aspenaut

Certified Ski Diva
I use Swany leather gloves (I think they are called X-Cell) and love them. If it's a really cold day, I use heat warmers in the special pocket (or open the pocket for ventilation on spring skiing days). I have a pair of Gordini down leather mittens -with glove liners - for bitterly cold stormy days, and still bring them with me just in case, but my Swany's are usually warm enough, so I haven't used the Gordini's for years. Given your ski temps, I probably would break them out! A couple of years ago, the Gordini's did get an outing when I lent them to a friend when her gloves weren't warm enough in Brrrrreckenridge, but my Swany's were fine.

Jilly

Staff member
I have so many gloves....none are warm enough at -20C. I'll be trying the glove that albertanskigirl suggested this weekend.

The warmest and almost too hot mitt I have is a cheapo pair of down filled Swany's from Costco. Go figure!

Am716

Certified Ski Diva
Too funny that the cheap pair is the warmest. I looked at a couple pairs that got good reviews but the price has made me question them a little. But I also know price doesn’t mean everything a lot of the time.

I think I might just cave and get some mittens. I really don’t want to spend 100-200 dollars on gloves that will be no better than my current pair!

Thanks ladies, as always I greatly appreciate the help and insight.

GoingDownhillWeeeee!

Certified Ski Diva
I never wear mittens, ever, I hate them, but I love Gordini gloves. My dad complained about cold hands for years despite trying other more expensive brands so I recommended he try a pair with down and he loves them. I just picked up a down pair on clearance but haven't used them yet, my other gloves are almost too warm at times (Gortex with synthetic insulation) so I'm saving them for a really cold day. If the glove itself isn't quite enough it also has a handwarmer pocket.

This is the type of glove I recommend, with gortex and down, except I think I bought the iv so the website might be out of date:
https://gordini.com/gloves-mittens/womens-gtx-iii/

Christy

Angel Diva
With down gloves and gore-tex (or really any fabric except maybe leather?) I'd worry that once the waterproofing on the fabric degrades, and it always degrades, the down would get wet and then lose its insulating properties.

I used to think mittens were cumbersome, but I need to wear them, so I switched to Leki trigger system poles which made mittens a non-issue.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I recently bought Black Diamond Guide Gloves. I haven't skied in them yet, but I wore them out shoveling in single digits and my hands felt better than usual (I normally get quite cold hands--even when doing something active like shoveling).
They are a little bulky/stiff due to the thick insulation. I'm another one who prefers gloves to mittens--I like the increased dexterity. They run a little small--again due to the insulation, so if between sizes I'd go with the larger size.

Randi M.

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't think I could ski when it's that cold...you all are amazing to ski with those conditions!

Honestly, if you have the right gear you really barely feel the cold. I have really and truly been sweating in negative temperatures. Also, I see you are located in Colorado. Those of us on the east coast don't have the luxury of waiting for warm days. You have to take the weather as it comes or you don't ski. If you lived here you'd do it, too!

newboots

Angel Diva
Honestly, if you have the right gear you really barely feel the cold. I have really and truly been sweating in negative temperatures. Also, I see you are located in Colorado. Those of us on the east coast don't have the luxury of waiting for warm days. You have to take the weather as it comes or you don't ski. If you lived here you'd do it, too!

^ What she said. :-)

Powgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I'm such a wuss...I won't leave the condo to ski unless it's over 10 degrees outside...too hard on my lungs!

Am716

Certified Ski Diva
I have been looking at Gordini, Swany and Black diamond and just can’t decide. I still haven’t completely ruled out the Level gloves either just because they felt sooo warm in the ski shop (on that note the gordinis felt pretty warm too! But after skiing in well below zero temps I am sure anything felt warm!). No one has heard anything about Level?!

I really, really want gloves but I also want warm hands and not to spend 200+ dollars trying to find the right pair (already did that with ski pants, boots and jackets. ).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna