• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Volkl Charisma

This is awesome about the Elysian. I didn't really start to think about this combo until yesterday when I googled it. I knew some of you ladies had the Elysian or were familiar with it and raved and I went hmmmm. I googled and realized it was "only" 95mm underfoot which isn't much wider than the Kenja and I started to think I was onto something. When I go to bromley next weekend I will see what demos they have to sell and maybe try to pick up the charisma there if its cheaper then I'll get it. That'll get my off of my violas and then I'll start to scout around for my all mountain ski. I found the elysian with bindings on ski essentials for $499. If I end up getting the Kenja's on discount next week than I'll still get the charismas at the end of season sale. Then over the next year I'll keep my eyes out for the elysians and if I can get them on a deal I'll probably unload the Kenjas at the next ski swap.

I sold my atomic affinity pures last fall and the second I get my next pair of skis the volkl violas will be up for sale. I never realized that when I first started sking and bought my atomics and my violas that it was the beginning of the quest for the perfect quiver. :smile:.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Since the Northeast has such a bounty of snow right now, hop on an Elysian if you have the opportunity. Perfect conditions to get a feel for it!

My eyes are peeled...................... Unfortunately where I go to ski normally isn't where the atomics seem to be prevalent to demo. Heading to Gore in NY this weekend and they don't have it, Bromley doesn't have it. I will be at Loon at the end of the month, maybe they will have Atomic, I will check today. Its funny because 3 months ago if you would have told me I was considering a ski that was 95 underfoot I would have said you were crazy. Now that I've been on the kenja at 87 and loved it I am now thinking the Elysian will be a great ski.

Last edited:

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I skied the Elysian at Loon's demo day so I suspect they also have it in their demo shop. I find the Elysian very easy to ski - I was surprised it was 95 under foot; the softer flex and light weight likely helps with that. I will be interested to hear what you think. A woman who skied the Elysian 168 just before me at Loon was handing it back with total distaste, shaking her head, and said it wouldn't turn. I had already skied it at Sunday River and snatched it directly to ski it again. Each to their own!

I went skiing in Bromley today and pickings were slim in the demo area. They had the charisma in 156 but i already demoed them in ice and they rock but today was a powder day. They had the Volkl Kenjas in a 163cm. What to do. I demoed the Kenja in a 156 but never in 163cm. Was the 163cm too tall for me, it's a lot of ski. What the hell, if I don't like them I bring em back and take out something else. Lots of powder today, LOTS. OMG were the Kenjas fantastic. Once again on this ski, didn't want to stop for lunch and didn't want to quit at the end of the day. It's a sign, the 163cm wasn't too much for me at all. Now I will be selling my Volkl Violas so if anyone knows someone who wants a solid ski in a 148cm send em my way. So stoked, love my new Kenjas, can't wait to take them out again. Still planning on buying the chaarismas at the end of the season as they will be my ice carving skis. My question is will the charismas be ok in the 156, can my carvers be shorter than my all mountain all other condition skis.

CarolB

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm just in the process of trying out a few fatter skis finally and tried the Sambas & Black Pearl and while they definitely made skiing the powder/heavier snow easier they just didn't have that fun factor my carvers have. They also just didn't hold an edge when there was firmer stuff under, but that could just be my style on them and I needed to get used to them and work harder. The Sambas were better than the Black Pearls for me. I then tried the Head Total and wholey crap they were light and fast. Much more fun but still didn't have the edge factor I'm used to. I tried the Salomon Q83 Myriad and thought it was boring. Was getting abit bummed that I was never going to find a fatter ski that fit my current ski style or would more gently/entertainingly let me transition.

I then tried the Atomis Elysian. Ta Da!! Wow, fun. It had response, it held a beautiful edge, it let me turn fast/short and also GS and it seemed to float/cut through heavier snow pretty nice. Unfortunately I'd run out of fresh tracks by the time I got to it so I'd like to try it again (if we're lucky this year!) but a friend of mine recommended it and she skis it all and says the Elysian responds beautifully.

I've never skied an Atomic before, always thought of them as race skis, so this was a big surprise for me and is my baseline ski choice now as I continue my hunt. If anyone has suggestions on similar skis to it than that'd be great.

I then tried the Atomis Elysian. Ta Da!! Wow, fun. It had response, it held a beautiful edge, it let me turn fast/short and also GS and it seemed to float/cut through heavier snow pretty nice. Unfortunately I'd run out of fresh tracks by the time I got to it so I'd like to try it again (if we're lucky this year!) but a friend of mine recommended it and she skis it all and says the Elysian responds beautifully.

I've never skied an Atomic before, always thought of them as race skis, so this was a big surprise for me and is my baseline ski choice now as I continue my hunt. If anyone has suggestions on similar skis to it than that'd be great.[/QUOTE]

Where did you demo the Elysian?

CarolB

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Where did you demo the Elysian?

At my home resort- Big White in BC. It was 2 weekends ago and we had 6-8" of new snow so got to try them in the conditions I'm looking for new skis for. I'm heading back up tomorrow, not sure what we'll have but I've lucked out so far this year.

It doesn't seem to be as available to me in the northeast. I have my Kenja for now. The elysian is pretty wide and i think too advanced for me right at the moment. However. I think it might be a future ski for me but might have to buy un demoed.

Headed to Loon next weekend. I may just ski my kenjas but I do want to try the Atomic Elysians if they have them as well as the Blizzard Viva 8.0 ti since it seems to be loved so much. Then again I may just wait until next season. I was surprised at how much I liked the Kenja in 163, I feel like I am on a drug. All I want to do is ski this ski.

CarolB

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Spend your time just trying the Kenja in different conditions then and if it keeps that smile on your face, why look for something different? You've met the goal of getting off your shorter skis and trying something different now just have fun and finish your season on the ones you want to start your season on?
Now, disclaimer here- I'm one of the people who "settle" easy once I found what I like and then just enjoy it and hang on too long maybe :smile: Of course, maybe that's why I'm still married after almost 30 years (ha ha sorry honey). I beleive in the head game side of things and you won't see me blaming my equipment on bad days, just my attitude. If you've found a drug then why get off of it until you need a dose of something different?

I will indeed ski my butt off on the Kenja in different conditions over the next 2 months. I kinda want a dedicated ice carver so that's where the charisma will come in. I have my name on the demo list to grab the charisma for 40% off at the end of the season. I agree if I LOVE the kenjas still by the end of the season I may pass on them but I still want to keep that as my plan. I'd like to have a dedicated ice/hard pack carver and then the Kenja just for everything. I'd like to start the season with the charimas but who knows maybe after 2 months on the Kenja my thoughts will change but for now my plan is to have both skis.
I know the Kenja's are great on hard pack also but the charismas on ice really won me over.

I am proud of myself for meeting my goal of getting off my shorter skis

CarolB

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry- I meant if you're happy with the ski you just found this year then keep it for next, not start again looking next year. It seems like 2 pairs of skis is the wave of the future so you'll have your carvers and your softers. Did I get that right?

Yes perfect :smile:. You are correct, why look for skis now if I'm happy with what I have. I found the charismas first and then dug up the courage to try the Kenjas and then my heart was pretty much in love between the two. I had already thrown my name on the charisma demo purchase for end of season. In the meantime I fell in love with the Kenja and some do have the Kenja as their one ski quiver but I believe that both skis are different and can serve two different purposes. I grabbed the Kenja now because I fell in love with the 163 and she did me proud on powder and the 156 had proven super stable on hard pack. I can't wait to get my 163s on hard pack to see the difference. The charisma has my heart on trails with sheets of ice.

Demoing skis is quite addictive that's for sure. Yeah everyone seems to have at least 2 pairs of skis on here, some more :smile:.

Rest assured I am done looking for new skis :smile:, it gets expensive and after these two guys I have no desire to seek out anything else. 3 years down the line who knows right but for the unforeseeable future I think all my needs will be met between the two.

Me too the Charisma in 156cm as my carver and the Kenja in 163cm just seems right and most importantly feels right.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga