• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Volkl Charisma

I went skiing today in the berkshires. I decided to demo a pair of skis. I ended up eith the Volkl Charismas in 149cm just to start out. Wow what a fun ski. Not quite as nimble as my volkl violas but still easy to turn and what fun. Holds an excellent edge and i felt very confident. My boyfriend said my tips were pointed downhill more and i was more parallel. This skiis are very snappy and have some good pop. They handle the clumpy sugary show like a champ, They go right over the snow and dont get hung up on the slop. I will also try these skis in 155 but today was a good day. I am now a volkl charisma fan. What is the difference between these skis and my volkl violas. Also why are the charismas so expensive, yikes.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I have the Volkl Tierras, which the Charisma replaced, and yeah, a very fun ski! I call them my "box cutters" or my "ice skates" because there's nothing like them on the ice or hard pack. A very snappy, grippy ski.

I think the difference is that the Charismas are a bit stiffer; they have a bit of metal in them, and the Violas don't. Also, the specs are a bit different (the Charisma is a bit wider), as is the turning radius.

As to why the Charismas are so expensive, that seems to be with way with Volkls. I know they make them in Germany, so that might be part of it. Other than that, who knows.

I feel like the charismas are similar to my violas but a million times better. I threw my name on the demo list to receive these after the end of the season when they are sold at 40% off. I am first on the list. Still want to demo other skis but the charismas so dialed my number.

mustski

Angel Diva
Volkl - like many ski companies - charge a higher price for their higher end skis because .... well, they can! They are selling to a more discerning skier who is willing to pay more. Supply and demand.

Makes sense well I'll just wait until the end of March/early April for them. I'd rather pay $539 for the Charismas than $899. In the meantime I'll keep demoing and maybe find something I'll like better. Like the charisma though, fun ski. I'm a little more confident to try the kenja now because the charisma has steel in it and it was very manageable for me so maybe the Kenja will be as well. I will also try to the Rossi Unique 6 and the Atomic Cloud 9 but thinking I'm a volkl gal at heart.

I have the Volkl Tierras, which the Charisma replaced, and yeah, a very fun ski! I call them my "box cutters" or my "ice skates" because there's nothing like them on the ice or hard pack. A very snappy, grippy ski.

I think the difference is that the Charismas are a bit stiffer; they have a bit of metal in them, and the Violas don't. Also, the specs are a bit different (the Charisma is a bit wider), as is the turning radius.

As to why the Charismas are so expensive, that seems to be with way with Volkls. I know they make them in Germany, so that might be part of it. Other than that, who knows.

I was wondering if you have the Terras for your "ice/hard pack ski" if there was another ski you had in your quiver for softer conditions or does the Terra do it all for you. I am seriously leaning towards the charisma but will be spending the day tomorrow on the kenja which I already like. I was just curious if you had another ski that you took out when you didn't need the "box cutters" :smile:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I was wondering if you have the Terras for your "ice/hard pack ski" if there was another ski you had in your quiver for softer conditions or does the Terra do it all for you. I am seriously leaning towards the charisma but will be spending the day tomorrow on the kenja which I already like. I was just curious if you had another ski that you took out when you didn't need the "box cutters" :smile:

My Tierras are primarily for hard pack, but really, I have no problem with them in soft snow, either. I do, however, have a couple other skis that are great in soft snow, too: Nordica Hell's Belles, Atomic Elysians, and Volkl Auras.

My Tierras are primarily for hard pack, but really, I have no problem with them in soft snow, either. I do, however, have a couple other skis that are great in soft snow, too: Nordica Hell's Belles, Atomic Elysians, and Volkl Auras.

Thank you. I will have a better idea of what I want after I spend a day on the kenjas tomorrow but just sorta trying to plan my quiver. I am most likely buying the charismas since I can get them for 40% off at the end of the season. Planning a possible second addition to my quiver.

Skied on the Volkl Kenjas in a 156cm today, took a lesson and just worked on techniques. Learned some awesome tricks to ski better. I believe i found these skis sweet spot. They aren't a fan of tight turns. They will do it but they much prefer wider sweeping turns. I now am so torn cause while the Volkl Charismas were great on ice the kenjas were amazing everywhere on the mountain. I didnt want to stop skiing despite the cold. These skis are so fun and playful and lets not mention they dig into the hard packed frozen cuordoroy snow like i have never experienced. I am now plotting on how i can buy both pairs or get the Kenjas sooner cause i dont want to wait until the end of the season. I dont want to take my Volkl Violas out any more.......

mustski

Angel Diva
If I were you, and skiing in the East, and considering buying more than one ski ...I would buy the Charismas first because that will meet the majority of your ski days best. Then add something wider to the quiver for the soft snow days. However, if you are looking for the a "one ski does it all" compromise (and it will be a compromise because no ski does it all) then buy the Kenjas first. The only problem I see with starting with the Kenjas is that an Eastern skier needs a carver first and foremost. Your second ski could be something that would work better in a little deeper conditions than the Kenja. They lose their effectiveness when it gets deeper than 7-8".

I am not opossed to having more than one ski. I am ok with buying the charisma first cause i will get it for $529 plus tax. So another versatile ski would work for when it's not a sheet of ice out there. Why couldn't the Kenja be that wider ski. Its 87mm underfoot, nimble and can handle varied terrain. Plys its not like generally speaking we get mire than 7-8 " anyway. Just curious.

It will be an end of season demo sale but I will take it to save 40% off. Will have to wait until the last week of March or the first week of April but I will take it. This is why I'll take the charisma at the end of the season and try to pick up a wider do it all ski like the Kenja if/when on sale or at the ski swap next fall.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you're buying the actual demo skis, I'd pass if you're not getting at least 50% off or they're in fantastic shape. JMHO

Where I ski is a small resort without a huge demo population. They guy is just there on the weekends and they have a limited number of skis so the skis don't get that much use. My boyfriend bought the demo Volkl RTM's last season and they were in near new condition. My Charismas will be in about the same condition and 40% off.

If I were you, and skiing in the East, and considering buying more than one ski ...I would buy the Charismas first because that will meet the majority of your ski days best. Then add something wider to the quiver for the soft snow days. However, if you are looking for the a "one ski does it all" compromise (and it will be a compromise because no ski does it all) then buy the Kenjas first. The only problem I see with starting with the Kenjas is that an Eastern skier needs a carver first and foremost. Your second ski could be something that would work better in a little deeper conditions than the Kenja. They lose their effectiveness when it gets deeper

I am definitely buying the charismas. What do you recommend for a wider ski for the soft snow days. Is there a reason why the Kenja wouldn't fit this bill. We typically don't see more than 7-8" at a time here so I am just curious as to why the Kenja's wouldn't work but would love other recommendations as well. Thank you.

mustski

Angel Diva
I am definitely buying the charismas. What do you recommend for a wider ski for the soft snow days. Is there a reason why the Kenja wouldn't fit this bill. We typically don't see more than 7-8" at a time here so I am just curious as to why the Kenja's wouldn't work but would love other recommendations as well. Thank you.
The Kenjas would definitely work. There are a number of mid - fat all mountain skis that would work. It all depends on your personal preference. I was just suggesting that you start with the carver because that will meet your daily need best. I am a Volkl lover from way back. In fact, I just purchased my first pair of non-volkls in about 10 years! I bought the Nordica Hell's Belles, now discontinued - though I believe the new Wild Belle is a pretty close sister ski because they combined the two models into one. I disliked the old Wild Belle and was unable to demo the Hell's Belles. I took a chance because others who like the same skis I do, loved them. I have no regrets; they are totally fun. The best thing about adding to the quiver is that you have a daily driver; so can take your time figuring out what you want in a second ski, demo, and then wait for those spring/summer sales! The Kenja is a great ski. I don't own it, but I demoed it and loved it. It just didn't make sense for me because I have the Aura (big sister).

I am also toying with the idea of buying the Atomic Elysian for next winter as a powder ski for those rare days here that we get those. I will get the charisma when they release the demo at the end of march/early april. I am hoping to spot a good deal on the kenja before then because I am losing interest in skiing on my Violas and demoing is getting expensive. I hear the Aura is a great ski; would love to try it one day just for fun.

Last edited:

mustski

Angel Diva
If you are planning on the Elysian, then skip the Kenjas and buy the Charisma. Those 2 skis will cover everything you need. You don't need all 3. Don't get me wrong ... I always want more skis! The Elysian will cover your soft snow needs and the Charisma is an great carver.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I have the Viva 810 ti as my hard pack/ice carver and the Elysian for the soft stuff. It is a very nice east coast combo for me and would be similar to the Charisma/Elysian pair up. The Elysian is so fun, and being softer (not soft, just softer) than the Kenja makes it a great ski in the soft snow, east coast powder, bumps/pile-ups. I am thoroughly enjoying mine right now - skied them all this past weekend. I am enjoying them now like I was enjoying my Viva when everything was like skiing on granite! I even, gasp, did an entire bump run last weekend and wasn't miserable :wink:.

Excited to take my Elysian to Diva West as well!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna