• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Volkl Blaze 86?

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
I see you are becoming "Boot Curious". I tend to agree that you might need to start looking for something different. Lord only knows I have a plethora of experience with this! Your posts on SkiTalk sound like me over the past 10 years. If I can find THE boot, so can you!

Back to the Blaze. Soft snow is a comin, and I shall get mine out when it's been skied out a bit to take them for a spin! I don't love them on refrozen marbles and don't want to destroy the bases on the current snow conditions. So, they sit and wait. My 16 YO daughter did comment on the "cool new skis in the garage". She's a fan of the topsheets. She doesn't care much for that kind of stuff, so for her to give unsolicited feedback is a compliment of the highest level. :rotf: I told her if she's lucky, maybe she'll inherit them in a few years, although she skis her Yumi 84s like a boss. (On that note, I should ski them back to back to compare, although hers are awfully short at 154.)
Lucky lady. (Daughter).

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Blazes had their second outing today - even though it's been an odd, low snow winter, we've had enough that I've either been on my Rustlers or JJs (plus one outing in some very cold wind packed powder on the ex-heli Noctas). Spring conditions today - well, obviously, because it's late January in BC. Squishy wet snow, raining a bit - I really didn't believe they'd handle it but they were great. It took me a couple of runs to trust that they weren't going to be thrown around by the chop but they're surprisingly solid.

Hopefully we get more cold snow again but I have a horrible feeling I'm going to find out how they handle ice before the snow comes back...

MissySki

Angel Diva
The Blazes had their second outing today - even though it's been an odd, low snow winter, we've had enough that I've either been on my Rustlers or JJs (plus one outing in some very cold wind packed powder on the ex-heli Noctas). Spring conditions today - well, obviously, because it's late January in BC. Squishy wet snow, raining a bit - I really didn't believe they'd handle it but they were great. It took me a couple of runs to trust that they weren't going to be thrown around by the chop but they're surprisingly solid.

Hopefully we get more cold snow again but I have a horrible feeling I'm going to find out how they handle ice before the snow comes back...
Glad to hear it, that’s been my experience as well!

They handle quite well on ice, as long as your edges are sharp.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They perform really well on Mid-Atlantic man-made ice. I've had them out this season in a lot of mush as well. Love them in the mush. I think my Stockli Stormrider 85's perform a bit better in the slushy/spring like snow, but the Volkl's are a very close second. All in all, I still see them as a tremendously versatile ski. I think this will be the ski I take to Steamboat next month.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Well, I also joined the Blaze 86 train. It’s marked down to $330 a lot of places. I managed to snag a pair for $280 plus tax - couldn’t resist at that price! Now to decide on what kind of bindings I want to mount on them…

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, I also joined the Blaze 86 train. It’s marked down to $330 a lot of places. I managed to snag a pair for $280 plus tax - couldn’t resist at that price! Now to decide on what kind of bindings I want to mount on them…

Welcome to the Blaze craze. I was a bit hesitant but scored mine in a great deal also. I love them. Super fun and competent ski.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What length did you go with?

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just got back home from skiing Mt Rose on the 2025 Volkl Blaze 94 W.
The construction changes have made it a bit quicker in turn shape and a little more playful.
I really like this ski!
What length were you on? I've been looking at the current model 94 w and hope to demo next season. I'm assuming you'll post a review at some point?

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I got the 159 which is basically my usual size at 5’2”. I am both dense and roly poly so I prefer to go in the high 150s. I just checked and my Blaze 94s, which I have touring bindings mounted on, are 158. I believe all my skis are between 156-159.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What length were you on? I've been looking at the current model 94 w and hope to demo next season. I'm assuming you'll post a review at some point?
I have to look again but I think it was 172
Yes I'm writing a full review but it was not a complete diversion from previous Blaze skis but definitely an improvement on responsiveness

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I got the 159 which is basically my usual size at 5’2”. I am both dense and roly poly so I prefer to go in the high 150s. I just checked and my Blaze 94s, which I have touring bindings mounted on, are 158. I believe all my skis are between 156-159.

@diymom I'm on the 2023 volkl blaze 94W (blue topsheet) in a 158cm length. 102lbs, usually. It's my western "soft snow" ski.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks. This is kind of looking at skis for where I want to ski, not what I get to ski. I have the Blaze 86 in a 152 and have been happy with the length. My other skis range up to 165 (1st gen SA88). I haven't liked any demos wider than 88 so far, but I haven't tried any for several years now. I probably won't go out of my way to find the 94 to demo here in the East since this is not where they would be used, but would like to get on them if I get the chance on a trip out West.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
After helping out a friend re ski research on a low to mid-90's ski, I talked myself into the Blaze 94 W as my "western" ski. I've loved my 86's since 2021. I hate the 2024 graphics (looks like my parents' 1970's avocado kitchen), so I searched for (and found) a deal on new, flat 2023s with the blue top sheet. I also found Attack 12 bindings at 1/2 off in white. Not my preferred color, but at that price, they'll look nice enough.

I prefer a shorter ski since I'm more interested in nimbleness and agility than I am in speed. In fact, I don't like speed at all. I've lived life fast enough for the last 64 years. I got the 158 (I'm 5'6", about 150).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga