• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Volkl Blaze 86?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
@santacruz skier what’s your BSL? If we’re the same, we could do a demo day together. 2 for 1 and ski back in half as often!
Boots are in Tahoe so not sure. 22.5 boot. Love your idea. @WaterGirl do you remember as I think I told you? Going to Tahoe New Year’s Day so will let you know. Any chance you’ll be skiing Alpine/pali?

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Agreed, @lisamamot and @Trailside Trixie. I have the Stockli Motion 85's, the Nela 80, and the Laser MX. These sit right alongside my Volkl 86 Blazes. So far this season I've skied all but the MX. We just haven't had the right conditions yet for those. As far as a direct comparison goes, in our Mid-Atlantic dust on crust, the best performer is the Motion 85, followed by the Volkl Blaze. For poppy, fun turns and anything that looks like a mogul, I like the Blazes. The Nela 80 is just a great all-round solid ski - if I don't know what type of snow I'm likely to encounter (from ice to mashed potatoes) both the Blazes and the Nela's are super.

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My motions are pretty awesome. I've had them out at Magic on a flat out boiler plate day and they have my back 100%. I am on the hunt for a pair of Blaze 86s in a 160-165.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
My motions are pretty awesome. I've had them out at Magic on a flat out boiler plate day and they have my back 100%. I am on the hunt for a pair of Blaze 86s in a 160-165.
I haven’t tried mine yet, but they are 166. I’m hoping to ski them Jan 20-23 at Okemo. I’m a bit nervous for a longer ski at my level- but I should be fine. If not I will let you know if I don’t want them.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I could go either way. Same with the "mems" version? Most of my skis are 165 to 166 but I do have a couple pairs that are 158 and I don't notice much difference.
Yes, same for men’s. I usually ski skis between 160-165 as my sweet spot and went with the 159 because I specifically wanted the maneuverability for bumps and trees work. I demoed the 166 as well, and it was also fun and faster, but not as nimble for me as I wanted in the 159. I do find the speed limit with the 159 is just carving groomers.. but that’s fine with me because that’s not my purpose with it and I have other skis to go faster when I want to. :smile:. So just depends what you’re looking for.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I haven’t tried mine yet, but they are 166. I’m hoping to ski them Jan 20-23 at Okemo. I’m a bit nervous for a longer ski at my level- but I should be fine. If not I will let you know if I don’t want them.
I am trying to remember - what are your specs? I recall you being tall, but maybe I was sitting down, lol.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the 159 (3d season w/them). I'm 5'5ish w/a 24.5 boot (new Lange Shadow!!), but I'm also 64 and liking slower speeds these days. :smile:

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Very interested in learning more about this boot!
Ski Essentials has an excellent, detailed review. I can't say enough about the transfer of energy from me-to-ski. The slightest movement results in an immediate response. I have the 115LV. My prior boots were the Lange RX110 LV.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Ski Essentials has an excellent, detailed review. I can't say enough about the transfer of energy from me-to-ski. The slightest movement results in an immediate response. I have the 115LV. My prior boots were the Lange RX110 LV.

Thanks for the video! Yes, that transfer of power being so smooth and easy is what has stood out for me from some initial feedback I’ve seen around ski forums.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the video! Yes, that transfer of power being so smooth and easy is what has stood out for me from some initial feedback I’ve seen around ski forums.
I see you are becoming "Boot Curious". I tend to agree that you might need to start looking for something different. Lord only knows I have a plethora of experience with this! Your posts on SkiTalk sound like me over the past 10 years. If I can find THE boot, so can you!

Back to the Blaze. Soft snow is a comin, and I shall get mine out when it's been skied out a bit to take them for a spin! I don't love them on refrozen marbles and don't want to destroy the bases on the current snow conditions. So, they sit and wait. My 16 YO daughter did comment on the "cool new skis in the garage". She's a fan of the topsheets. She doesn't care much for that kind of stuff, so for her to give unsolicited feedback is a compliment of the highest level. :rotf: I told her if she's lucky, maybe she'll inherit them in a few years, although she skis her Yumi 84s like a boss. (On that note, I should ski them back to back to compare, although hers are awfully short at 154.)

MissySki

Angel Diva
I see you are becoming "Boot Curious". I tend to agree that you might need to start looking for something different. Lord only knows I have a plethora of experience with this! Your posts on SkiTalk sound like me over the past 10 years. If I can find THE boot, so can you!
Haha yes.. been here before too unfortunately. This is why I have resisted tinkering for years, once I start tinkering it always seems to go in annoying directions. Ugh, it never just stops it just creates more things to troubleshoot. I really dislike trial and error with ski boot stuff, I think I prefer it to just be “good enough” and then eventually you move onto a new boot anyway and each has seemed better than the last when I do.. I don’t like spending time trying this or that when I am out skiing because little changes seem to make a big difference to me often and then I have to get used to that to try something else.. and it can be never ending as you are well aware and experienced in. But now I’ve opened the can of worms again. I did see your post on Ski Talk on my heel lift questions and will respond there in more detail to not derail this thread. :smile:

I haven’t even been on my Blazes yet this season.. they were freshly tuned early on and it is full on rock ski time still currently. So in my locker they stay. Bah.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga