• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Volkl Aura 2012

kasuncion6

Certified Ski Diva
Hi Guys,

I am considering buying a pair of older Auras. On eBay, I see a pair of 2011 (163) with bindings for $125. I also have the opportunity to buy a pair of 2012 (163) with bindings at a slightly higher price.

For those of you with an Aura "history" - can you remember the difference if any between these two models? I've read a lot on these forums on how longer is better. I am 5'7", 150lbs-ish, but I'm also an intermediate. So I don't think it would be "bad" to get 163s, since I'm still progressing.

I tried the 2012 Auras in heavy spring slush in Tahoe and really liked the solid and stable feel they had mowing through all the crud. I also just want a very cheap alternative to my Head Super Joys, which are not solid tanks in slush, as I learned the hard way.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

k

RuthB

Angel Diva
Not totally sure of 'years' since our seasons are different. But the 2012, the silver ones with the pink and green hummingbird topsheet is the first model to have tip rocker. The previous model, black with geisha topsheet? has no rocker.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The older model has no rocker - it was first added to 2012 model with hummingbird topsheet. You may find rockered model a bit more user-friendly than a full-cambered version. I think that even at 163 with rocker there is still enough ski and as an intermediate it will be more manageable. It's a popular length - at least over here there are always some 170s and lot of 156s left for end-of-season sales, but hardly any 163 - so you shouldn't have problems re-selling it if you end up wanting longer skis.

Skisailor

Angel Diva
The older model has no rocker - it was first added to 2012 model with hummingbird topsheet. You may find rockered model a bit more user-friendly than a full-cambered version. I think that even at 163 with rocker there is still enough ski and as an intermediate it will be more manageable. It's a popular length - at least over here there are always some 170s and lot of 156s left for end-of-season sales, but hardly any 163 - so you shouldn't have problems re-selling it if you end up wanting longer skis.

For what it's worth, the old non rockered model has remarkably little camber. It's a very flat ski. I think that's one of the attributes that gives it that Cadillac, stable, never squirrelly, never unpredictable ride. On the other hand, if you're a skier who loves "pop" out of your shorter radius turns, that lack of camber means this probably isn't the ski for you.

kasuncion6

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks for the input guys. Still thinking on it....Do you think $250 for the 2012 (163s) with bindings is a good deal? I intend to invest in a new pair of skis maybe in the next year or 2 once I have improved significantly. So is 250 okay for an "interim/rock ski"?

I will also happen to be in Tahoe during the Start Haus consignment sale, so I am a bit hesitant to purchase these skis now, in case I see another crazy deal there...

Mount Snow in West Dover, VT "had" a pair of 2014-2015 Aura's for $229. They were from the demo sale and were still available. Rockered in the tip and at quick glance they looked to be in decent shape. I didn't look at them that closely and its been a month so they may not even still be there but its worth a phone call if you were interested.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It depends somewhat on the bindings, but I'd say $250 is a great price for this ski unless its totally trashed. If you hate it, you should be able to sell it for what you have into it.

kasuncion6

Certified Ski Diva
I bargained a little bit and got the price down to $200.00 and pulled the trigger on the 2012 Auras (163) with Marker Squire Demo Bindings....From my research, I think this would be considered a good deal?

In any case, I'm excited to have more than one pair of skiis now....Looking forward to crud-busting with confidence!

Great deal. Congratulations!

kasuncion6

Certified Ski Diva
Woohoo. Now I'm really hoping El Nino comes through and dumps on Tahoe/Mammoth in December so I can test these guys out. My other skis Head Super Joy are 75 in waist and will prob be my learning-proper-technique skis.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna