• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Volkl Aura 2012

lakeviewpowder

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks for your responses. Here is a bit more context. I pretty much ski the whole mountain. Probably 80-90 % off piste. I ski in Tahoe so icy conditions are not an issue (I'm too spoiled to even go on those days). I'm 5'4" and weight around 165. I'm advanced/expert skier and ski fairly aggressive and with power, but mostly with well controlled speeds (tight turns with lots of edging at the end of the turn). I want a ski that performs in situations were it matters the most: Steeps, chutes, tight trees. I want edge hold and weight agility to jump or push the skis around turns. My ancient Aura does it all for me. My only gripe may be its performance in bumps but I'm willing to sacrifice this. Will try to get on both length for a demo but it may be challenging so late in the season.

mustski

Angel Diva
My 2011 Auras (rockered) have handled all conditions well and are surprisingly easy to get on edge. I've skied them on rock hard groomers, hard pack, mashed potatoes, Sierra Cement, knee deep fluffy powder, and (soft) bumps. I have not taken them into trees worth mentioning and I don't ski hard bumps so I can't speak to those areas. They handle big and small turns equally well in my opinion. Demo for sure, but I would guess that if you like Volkl, you will like the Aura. Oh .. and I am 5'2", 140lbs, and an advanced skier. I don't classify myself as expert because I avoid chutes and hard bumps! Otherwise I ski most anything. I use the 163"

MissySki

Angel Diva
There are a lot of Divas here who love the Auras. I'm one of them. I had the 2010 model (which is for sale in our Gear Swap & Sale section, if anyone's interested. Very reasonable and in great shape. Go here), and thought they were a great ski.

This year I got the 2012, and today, with some new snow finally on the mountain, I couldn't resist giving them a try.

Let me say a word about conditions: challenging. Yeah, we had a few inches of new snow. But it was heavy and wet. And where it wasn't skied into piles, it was either scraped off or sticky. What can I say. It's been a lousy snow year so far.

How'd the Auras do? There were a lot of people positively fighting their way through the snow. Was I? No. Those Auras went through it all like butter, from heavy and wet to scraped off or sticky. A very stable ride, too, without a damp, heavy feeling. Easy to turn, very responsive. In short, a ton of fun.

This year's Auras have an early rise tip, which makes turn initiation even easier than before. The graphics are better; they've done away with the busty geisha and replaced her with a soothing hummingbird, split between the two planks. (The bases are bright pink, too. Cool!) And they've supposedly made the flex softer. To be honest, I didn't notice any difference. For me, they're just fine. I don't find them difficult or demanding or just for experts, as some have said in other threads. What I really like about the Aura is its versatility. I find I can take it in just about any conditions and have a hoot of a day.

Here are the stats:

Me: Advanced skier, 5'1", 110 lbs

Skis:
130-94-113
Length: 163

Binding:
Salomon Z10, mounted just a tad forward of center

ONECOL.jpg

Ski Diva, do you find the ski very maneuverable in this length? I demoed the Auras in 156 and fell in love, they turned on a dime and were very stable. When I came looking at what length people were skiing on the site I see you all are going a bit longer. I am 5'4 and 125 lbs so a bit taller and heavier than you and I see you are on the 163. I ski the Black Pearls at 166, but they are quite rockered. Any words of wisdom? :smile: I found what I think is a pretty good deal on last year's Auras (2012) and like the graphics much more than the 2013 I tried out (They are unchanged besides graphics correct?). They are online and I even got them to discount another $20 when I inquired with the shop. Now I am at a loss for length since I only demoed the 156 if I indeed decide to pull the trigger. I could always wait and demo the 163, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
With the rocker, the contact length is actually shorter than the length of the ski. I have no problems with the 163. In fact, I just had them out today. We had mixed conditions: some soft snow, some death cookies -- and they were fine.

Bottom line: Coming off the 166 BP's, you shouldn't have ANY problem.

MissySki

Angel Diva
So what bindings do you ladies have on your Auras? When I demoed, they had Marker Squires which I had no complaints about for sure. I have the Marker Griffons on my Black Pearls and like them a lot as well. Any tips or preferences with one I listed or something else entirely?

mustski

Angel Diva
Mine have the Squires - demo model. I don't like them. They are very finicky and the slightest bit of snow of my boots must be removed or they won't click in. I stand in deep powder watching everyone else click in and go while I scrape, scrape, scrape. I've never had a problem with Markers in the past, but have heard others dislike the Squires for their hard entry.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Hmm that doesn't sound good, how annoying. I've been searching on the Diva site and elsewhere with similar findings as your experience. Looks like I might stick with some more Griffons. I never had any issues with them all last year on my Pearls and DH loves them as well..

MissySki

Angel Diva
I have the Blizzard Black Pearls. Sorry, I have somehow started shortening to Pearls when I discuss them, but should realize another ski might have that name and cause confusion! Woops ;)

mustski

Angel Diva
I bought my DS solomon sth 12 drivers for his Bushwackers. He gets to open them Christmas Day and then I'll see how he likes them. My Squires are fine as long as I scrape, scrape, scrape. My problem is that standing balanced on one ski while scraping the other boot is actually more difficult than skiing. I tend to slip into "sailor mouth."

MissySki

Angel Diva
Ok so hopefully the last question on these skis that I'll have. Where does everyone mount their bindings on the Auras? How does one decide between the 0, +1, +2 spots?? I assume my real choice would be between 0 or +1, but how do I decide what I want? I've never had to choose this before..

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Ok so hopefully the last question on these skis that I'll have. Where does everyone mount their bindings on the Auras? How does one decide between the 0, +1, +2 spots?? I assume my real choice would be between 0 or +1, but how do I decide what I want? I've never had to choose this before..

Hi MissySki!

What binding did you choose? I'm one of those folks who have the Z10s and they are so nice and light. Makes for a great setup. Markers make great bindings but every Marker I've had is relatively heavy by comparison. I've got Markers on my old Burnin' Luvs and I think just one of those skis weighs more than both of my Auras with the Z10s. :D

As far as mounting position, I have my Z10s mounted at the 0 position on my Auras. That's worked absolutely fine. Don't see why you would need a forward mounting position.

Can't wait to see you on your new Auras at Diva East!

:smile:

mustski

Angel Diva
I also mounted at the 0 position. I assume the other options are for skiers who know more about the options than I do. Mine work great at 0.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Well I got my Aura's mounted Thursday after skiing all day on other skis (though haven't gotten to get them out yet as I came down with a terrible stomache bug Thursday night.. Am feeling much better this morning, we'll see if I can keep real food down today). I decided to stick with the Marker Griffons for bindings because I really like them on my Black Pearls. I went through all my thoughts on the bindings with the shop guys and the consensus came back to the Griffons which I had been pretty set on already, but wanted more opinions. I also mounted at 0, the guys in the shop said they only typically mount forward if you are going to be in the park or riding switch.. So I'm looking forward to trying them out! :smile:

Suzanne Leamer

Diva in Training
Hi ladies! I am really hoping you can help me. Volkl Auras 2012 vs 2013... Is there any difference in construction between the two? After (way too) much analysis, have come to the conclusion this is the ski for me (second choices were Nordica Nemesis and Blizzard Samba). I don't care if I have the most current season, but I do want to ensure I am not giving up technical advancements the 2013s might have by purchasing the 2012s. I have searched all over the Internet and can't tell for sure... (the search paid off, BTW because I found Theskidiva!!!).

I am very excited to pull the trigger and buy them, along with some bindings so I can enjoy NEW skis for the remaining of the season!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Hi Suzanne,

First of all, glad you found the forum! It's a great place made up of wonderful people and a wealth of information!

I myself demoed the 2013 Auras and then bought the 2012 which were cheaper, and I liked the graphics better. To my knowledge the topsheet is the only thing that changed between the two.

mustski

Angel Diva
:welcome: I ski the 2012 Auras and love them. My understanding is that the only difference in 2013 is new graphics so save yourself the money and enjoy.

Suzanne Leamer

Diva in Training
Thank you so much for your replies! This morning I mailed Volkl with my question and will post a reply if I get one. Probably will go with the 2012s and basically get a pair of binding for free with the cash I'll save! Can't wait!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna