• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Volkl 2013 skis

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Shima, I'm meeting some friends at Northstar on Saturday, been meaning to tell you 8:45 at the base of Zephyr. We can pick a later time too if you'd prefer a second spot.

As for the graphics on the Aura and Kenja, they're done by a famous artist that I can't recall the name at the moment. Sorry. FWIW, I'm not a fan of the child like clouds either. Much preferred the birds last year.

SNWL did you ever find anywhere to demo the aura's?

No I didn't, but my dear husband purchased a pair for me as an extraordinary Valentine's Day present and I love them! Skied 5 days on them, unfortunately none in deep snow conditions, once at Whiteface on a very icy day and they were fine. Can't wait for next season!

And Snowhot, you know you're in the industry when you refer to the '12 Auras as "last years" and the '13s as "this years".

shima

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Shima, I'm meeting some friends at Northstar on Saturday, been meaning to tell you 8:45 at the base of Zephyr. We can pick a later time too if you'd prefer a second spot.

As for the graphics on the Aura and Kenja, they're done by a famous artist that I can't recall the name at the moment. Sorry. FWIW, I'm not a fan of the child like clouds either. Much preferred the birds last year.

Depending on what time my friend Nick and his buddies are meeting up at the mountain I'll let you know! My friend is in town from Chicago and he's boarding at Northstar all week, Saturday is his last day before he flies home Sunday... so I know I need to meet up with him at some point, if he's not yet at the mountain at 8:45 though I'll start the day with you :smile: Otherwise I'll start w/ him and then find you a little later... will keep you in the loop!

PowDiva85

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I skied the Charisma and the Chiara at Winter Park. I really enjoyed the Charisma as a carver, it was very, very solid and held an amazing edge. Almost to the point that I don't think it does much else, I tried it in the bumps and it was no good but it's probably great in crud since its so stable. The Chiara was a bit softer and a bit more forgiving.

deannatoby

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
PowDiva85, the Charisma is supposed to replace the Fuego (if I remember correctly) and it has a slightly wider waist. Did you ever ski the Fuego so you could compare the two? I feel like I spend most of my time on ice, and icy hardpack after that, especially after this season. I loved the Fuego but it's discontinued for next year.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I skied the Charisma and the Chiara at Winter Park. I really enjoyed the Charisma as a carver, it was very, very solid and held an amazing edge. Almost to the point that I don't think it does much else, I tried it in the bumps and it was no good but it's probably great in crud since its so stable. The Chiara was a bit softer and a bit more forgiving.
I liked the Charisma better than I thought I would, like you said solid edge hold, but not so forgiving in rollers and bumps. I wasn't crazy about the Chiara, almost like it didn't have much soul.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmmmm, "rollers" is my description of those wash board type of bumps that build up just off the edges of high traffic areas.

deannatoby

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We have one narrow trail used from a lift to access about 7 other trails, several blacks. It becomes nothing but "rollers" over the entire trail and I can judge the quality of my skiing by how well I can handle it. It's generally a serious roller coaster ride. Then those "racer kids" (including mine) make big piles of snow right before the entrance to a roped-off run for their gate training, to add to the fun. I hate that freakin' trail, and I was proud to find out I'm not the only one, and the other "haters" are experienced skiers!

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmmmm, "rollers" is my description of those wash board type of bumps that build up just off the edges of high traffic areas.

Oh those things, they shake your fillings out!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, rollers are no fun, but I like to find some to ski through to test skis. I usually take a run on a ski that I know, use it as a bench mark and then commence the ski testing in the same line, with the same variables.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Interesting difference in definition: around here, we call that stuff "washboard." It results from lots of skis straightlining in very busy areas. Rollers are either natural terrain features or man-made,much larger and set farther apart, very often from shaved down snowmaking "whales." And are a great deal more fun than washboard!

Jerseygirl

Diva in Training
Hi Ski Divas,
I'm new to this site and was hoping to get some advice on which 2013 Volkl skis to purchase. I was at Heavenly (S. Tahoe) earlier this month and demo'ed K2's SuperFree (139) and the Volkl Violas (141). I definitely liked the Volkls better, but now that I've had some time to read online, I'm wondering if I should go with the Violas or Chiaras, based on my level and goals.

I grew up skiing on the East Coast and skiied mostly single and double blacks. Then in college, I got into a bad accident which caused some major injuries, of which the psychological is probably the most long-lasting. I took about 10 years off from skiing and just returned to the slopes 2 years ago. I really love the sport and want to get back to my previous level. So skill-wise, I am a little rusty, but the fear of getting into a bad accident can be paralyzing (at least my first few times back on the slopes on challenging blacks).

I wanted to give that background because, on one hand, I want a pair of skis that will help me develop my confidence to cruise down blacks again. I've been to most of the resorts in Tahoe in the past two years and feel pretty good on single blacks without moguls; haven't tried a double black yet. On the other hand, I also want a pair of skis that will allow me to grow into more advanced trails and then also try off-piste as well. I skiied off-piste only once (on the Volkl Violas) on packed snow, and it was a ton of fun!

So, I'm considering
2013 Volkl Viola 123-74-95 vs.
2013 Volkl Chiara 123-77-97

I demo'ed the Viola at 141cm (I didn't question the guy at the demo shop when he handed me a pair of skis that are much shorter than what I'm accustomed to -- he told me with the new technology, we're going shorter and shorter). But when I read sizing charts online, it looks like I should get the 148cm. I'm 5'5", 125lbs, ski at moderate speed (definitely not aggressive after the accident).

The 141s were easy to ski, definitely felt very confident on them. I'm wondering if you think I should stick with the 141s for confidence or move up to the 148s.

So, my first question is Volkl Viola (141 or 148) vs. Chiara (141 vs. 148)?

I was also in a ski shop and the sales person was telling me to consider the Kenja as well. I've never really skiied in powder, so I don't know how badly the Viola or Chiara will perform in powder (it's a 70% groomed/30% powder ski).

My second question is should I start with the Viola or Chiara and then buy a powder ski (e.g., Kiku or a non-Volkl powder ski) later? Or should I just get the Kenja for more versatility in Tahoe. I live in San Francisco now, so Tahoe is my main ski destination. I bought a season pass this year, so will make it up a lot this season.

Thanks for your advice. I read a few of the threads and you guys definitely give helpful and thoughtful advice!!

Thanks!
Ning

marzNC

Angel Diva
Ning, welcome and hello! Can't help with Volkls but others will. I'm an older petite Chinese-American advanced skier who likes anything by Rossi or Blizzard but nothing by Volkl, at least not so far. I'm 5'0", 115 lbs and my all-mountain skis are Rossi Attraxion 8 at 154cm. So 148 seems short for you.

I live in the southeast but take a couple trips out west each season. I usually take advantage of the opportunity to demo a few skis.

Have you heard of the book "Conversation with Fear" by Mermer Blakeslee? Used to be called "The Yikes Zone!" She is a well respected ski instructor who specializes in helping skiers overcome fear.

https://www.amazon.com/Conversation-Fear-Mermer-Blakeslee/dp/1617562726

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, Jerseygirl! Welcome to the forum! I'm an ex-Jersey girl myself, now a Vermonter.

I have the Volkl Tierra, the predecessor to the Chiara. For an East Coast skier, this ski is perfect. It's like riding on rails in the hard pack, and it's great for a few inches of chopped up stuff, too. For Tahoe, though, you might want something that's a bit wider and more versatile. Many Divas have the Kenja and rave about it. So you might want to give that a try. For powder days, I have the Volkl Auras, and trust me, there's a ton of Aura love here, too.

I'm with MarzNC -- those lengths seem kind of short for you. I'm 5'1", 110 lbs, and my Tierras are 154, my Auras 163.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey Jerseygirl, I am a former Jersey girl also. Born there and grew up in Marin county . In Az now.

I would agree with the others here that the ski length you are considering will be short and the initial excitement about the new ski, short-lived. I am petite too and ski a Kenja in the 156, and have a Celebrity 159, and another at 154. You will really want a longer length for stability once you get on the slopes regularly. I have tried shorter skis and found them to be uncontrollable when you get moving with any real speed.

Jerseygirl

Diva in Training
Hi marzNC, ski diva, and badger,
thanks so much for your advice! OK, I will go with a longer ski.... still trying to decide between the Chiara and Kenja then....

marzNC, I'll take a look at the book... sounds interesting!

Thanks for all of your help!
Ning

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga