• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Travel bag that will accomodate boots and helmet

sperks

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm going on holidays in February travelling from Australia to Canada going to Montral for a few days then skiing in Whistler
I'm looking for luggage suggestions so I can bring my boots and helmet will hire skis in whistler.
Will have a couple of transfers so hoping to have as compact as possible and 25 kg wt restrictions
Any suggestions ?

Jilly

Staff member
Transpack, if you can find one. But I'm more interested in your Montreal stop... Any time to join SkiBam and I at Tremblant? Or even Saveur?

marzNC

Angel Diva
I like the Transpack Sidekick, which is the size of a regular laptop backpack without the boots or helmet. I take out the boots before boarding. Otherwise too wide walking down the aisle. I put the boots and helmet in the overhead and keep the backpack with me. I think there are two versions of the Sidekick now.

Transpack Sidekick front.jpg

The other Transpack I have is essentially a rolling suitcase. The difference is that it's split in the middle. Each side has a zipper. So the boots and firmly held in place in the lower half, leaving the top half for other stuff. When packing I fill the boots with socks, neck warmer, etc. It's the black case in the picture. For the last flight I decided to take both on the plane with with. Since I took a shuttle directly from the airport to the ski lodge, didn't have far to pull the luggage.

Transpack two 2014 - 2.jpg

Brave Ski Mom recently reviewed the Kulkea boot bag. It a closed bag along the lines of the closed Transpack.

RuthB

Angel Diva
I'm taking your post to mean that you will be packing your boots and helmet in checked luggage (at least for some of it). This is what we do when we travel from New Zealand to North America to ski for two reasons - Carry-on restrictions are much stricter flying out of NZ and Aus, the 7kg limit, smaller bag size, and the much tighter definitions on what constitutes a personal item; and secondly we try and optimise our baggage so that we (two adults and one child) can easily handle all of the baggage (child only has responsibility for his small carry-on) without needing a trolley.

An additional requirement for our bags is that they are easy to travel with - by that I mean that we can compartmentalise stuff so that when we are on non-skiing stop-overs we don't have to unpack all of the ski gear to get at stuff; are able to separate clean from laundry; and have easy and quick access to essentials like chargers etc.

We have found that the perfect bag for us for this is the Dakine Split Rolle rhttps://www.dakine.com/p/backpacks-and-gear/luggage/travel-bags/split-roller-100l-14s

Boots, helmet and ski gear and other gear fit really well. We typically put boots and helmet(s) and some ski stuff (and a small bottle of wool wash (eco store / softly / euclan) which we use to wash everything including merino gear in hotel/condo laundries) in the bottom, clothes in a couple of the top compartments and chargers, sundries etc in the last top compartment. There's heaps of room in them and you will reach 25kg before you are struggling to jigsaw everything into the bag and get it shut.

The reason for the Dakine brand, for us, is that the wheels and handles are really good quality and the bags, even when full, are really nicely balanced. We have two, one has done at least 8 North America trips and the other 5 or 6; and countless domestic trips and they are still in great condition. They are bomb-proof

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We never check our boots or helmet. I've seen what airlines do to luggage. :( We always carry-on in a boot bag like this one https://www.derailed.com/high-sierr...DPCGOOGLES4&currency=USD&codes-processed=true

Fit lots of stuff besides the boots and helmet and fit nicely in the overheaad bin. I use this as my "carry-on" and take a backpack as my personal item. I can cram everything except skis in my carry-on. :D

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a regular boot bag and it fits my boots and a helmet with a room to spare (socks, gloves, goggles will fit). It's a cabin size; I don't travel far to ski, but I know people who do and they take bags like that as a carry-on luggage.

Jilly

Staff member
I was thinking carry on too when I mentioned the transpak. But if international travel is different than domestic you might not be able to take it. I have put 1 pair of boots and a 17' laptop in a briefcase backpack. (It's no longer available, so can't show you). Then I have a roller bag for the rest, plus my sport tube for my skis.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I carry my helmet, gloves, other essential gear with my laptop in my Hot Gear bag or laptop back pack and sling my boots around my neck on a strap as my "purse". No problems with that arrangement in the US so far.

teppaz

Angel Diva

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I use a Transpack with the zipper boot compartments. MarzNC has a nice one, but I prefer the zippers so that I can walk when it's snowing without getting the liners wet.

I packed my helmet in the checked bag last time. I figured that it was easily replaced if they lost my bag, but I would never check my boots. I think that it would be ok because my checked bag is hard sided. I wouldn't do it with a soft bag, as it might get cracked. Hidden helmet cracks would not be good.

Ruth B said "Compartmentalized" is her key to packing success. I agree 100%. But I don't like all of the zippered compartments in bags, because I can never remember which compartment I put things in. CRS. This is what I use. https://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/packing-cubes-3pc-set/13032?productid=949922 Check around the ebags.com website for different sizes, too.

I have gloves and gaiters in a small one in my boot bag all the time. I have a little one for my boot dryer, so the cord doesn't tangle. When I pack my suitcase, I have shirts in one. Base layers in another. Socks, panties and bras in another (don't you hate it when the TSA opens your bag and your unmentionables are out in the open?). Cables and chargers for my electronics in another. When I get to the hotel, I leave my things in their packing cubes in the drawers (who knows when the drawers were cleaned the last time).

Because these are so flexible and weigh almost nothing, I have a lot of them. Different colors for different members of the family. And because they are so colorful, I never 'lose them' in the bottom of a black bag. Washable, too.

And while we are on the topic of size and weight of your carry on, if anyone gives you a hassle about the boots/helmet being too big for the overhead bin, sit down right there at the counter and put them on right in front of her. Helmet, too. If you wear them onto the plane, no one can say anything. Take them off and put them above your seat, and wear your slippers during the flight.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I have a transpack for local stuff, but when I fly I put my boots in a regular carry on suitcase and I'm able to fit a ton more stuff in there like an entire ski outfit in case my bags were lost, goggles, gloves, lots of layers etc etc etc. I also just clip my helmet to the outside of my carry on to the handle and then put it under my seat with my purse on the plane.. haven't had any negative feedback yet.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We used these 29" Mother Lode bags by ebags when we traveled internationally. I do usually carry on my boots, and I did carry them TO Europe, but once we got there it was a pain to haul separate things around so we packed it all in the one bag. The lower compartment works great for gear (although I think the one I have pictured is the 25" not the 29")

ebag.jpg

Last edited:

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree w/ @RuthB - our Dakine Split Roller bags have served us well over the years for multiple (surf) trips from LA to Fiji/ NZ/ and Hawaii as well as all over the US. We also have a carry on roller from Dakine that they no longer make -- its shaped a bit different -- but DD and my boots fit in it for our one and only domestic flight with ski gear.......

marzNC

Angel Diva
I use a Transpack with the zipper boot compartments. MarzNC has a nice one, but I prefer the zippers so that I can walk when it's snowing without getting the liners wet.
There are two current models for the Transpack Sidekick. The Lite is a little smaller. The Pro is more like mine, but also includes "covers" that go over the boot tops. What I've done when it's snowing is put a plastic bag over the top. I don't like wet liners either.

black_yellow.jpg

On some trips, it's useful to be able to use the Sidekick as a regular laptop backpack when I don't need boots and helmet for whatever reason.

sperks

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks every one for your suggestions
Jilly my time in Montreal is only a few days so unfortunately won't be ale to meet and ski
I'm thinking of something like the Dakine split roller I know they are available in the ski shops here not a lot of choice I'm afraid
The mother load looks great
I have an old bag that is like a duffle on wheels that has compartments either side that fit ski boots but it's a bit worse for wear sort of like the mother load
Don't know why no one makes them any more !
And I swear buy those packing cells to " compartmentalise "stuff
Thanks for all the suggestions
My idea is to keep the boots and helmet packed as I'm having a few nights stop overs in vancover and Montral before I go skiing
Why are ski things so cumbersome!!:wink::snow:

Janis Williams

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
perks check your airline sports section.

IIRC Qantas had a special deal for sports bag hat meant it counted as just a limited amount from your total. I always used that flying to Europe. Virgin had similar - but a few years since I took a whole ski bag so I have not checked.

Ditto the 25kg luggage - most NA to Australia/NZ flights are by the bag and you get 2 bags unless it changed in the last 4 months or so. with that your ski bag is one of the two pieces but it avoids the length limits

Janis Williams

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Qantas

Baggage allowances may vary across airlines
Under US Department of Transport regulations, if your travel to, from or within the USA involves one or more airlines with flights that do not have a "QF" flight number, the airline whose flight number appears first on your ticket will determine whether its baggage rules or another airline's baggage rules will apply to all the flights in your itinerary. For travel between Australia and the USA, usually (but not always) Qantas' baggage rules will apply.

Mobility equipment - US Flights only: Note that there is no limit on the number of pieces of mobility equipment allowed to be carried for customers with a disability and it does not count towards the carry-on baggage allowance.

Travel ClassChecked Baggage
AllowanceCarry-on Baggage
Allowance
AdultQantas Club members and Silver and Gold Qantas Frequent FlyersPlatinum and Platinum One Qantas Frequent Flyers

Economy2 pieces up to 23kg (50lb) each 3 pieces up to 23kg (50lb) each3 pieces up to 32kg (70lb) each7kg (15lb) per piece.
Dimensions apply.
Premium
Economy
2 pieces up to 23kg (50lb) each3 pieces up to 23kg (50lb) each3 pieces up to 32kg (70lb) each7kg (15lb) per piece.
Dimensions apply.
Business3 pieces up to 32kg (70lb) each3 pieces up to 32kg (70lb) each4 pieces up to 32kg (70lb) each7kg (15lb) per piece.
Dimensions apply.
First3 pieces up to 32kg (70lb) each3 pieces up to 32kg (70lb) each4 pieces up to 32kg (70lb) each7kg (15lb) per piece.
Dimensions apply.

Janis Williams

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Air Canada

Ski or snowboard boot bag:

• One boot bag is permitted per passenger and will not count as a piece of checked baggage if:
    • it is carried along with skis or snowboard and
    • it contains only boots.
  • A boot bag will count as a separate piece of checked baggage if:
    • it contains - or is designed to contain - other items, or
    • it is not carried along with a snowboard or set of skis.
  • If brought on board as carry-on baggage, ski and snowboard boots must be carried and remain at all times in the boot bag.
Skis (including poles):

• One or more sets of skis (snow or water) carried together in the same container count as one piece of checked baggage.
  • Skis and poles must be packed in a rigid and/or hard shell case specifically designed for shipping. *
  • If carried separately, a set of ski poles will count as one piece of checked baggage.
  • No oversize charge applies to skis. However, any overweight charges will apply
  • See ski boot bag information below.

Yep they are tough - 23kg limit one bag and $100 extra each way if you are overweight

Would seem a good reason not to fly Air Canada to ski in Canada from down under to me...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga