• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

The World's Best 25 Ski Towns

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
As determined by National Geographic.

Here's a run-down of the list, without the commentary:

#1 – Girdwood, AK, USA

#2 – Fernie, Canada

#3 – Zermatt, Switzerland

#4 – Bozeman, MT, USA

#5 – Chamonix, France

#6 – Cortina d’Ampezzo, Italy

#7 – Whitefish, MT, USA

#8 – Crested Butte, CO, USA

#9 – Aspen, CO, USA

#10 – Niseko, Japan

#11 – Kitzbühel, Austria

#12 – Bend, OR, USA

#13 – Mont Tremblant, Canada

#14 – Taos, NM, USA

#15 – Park City, UT, USA

#16 – Truckee, CA, USA

#17 – Whistler, Canada

#18 – North Conway, NH, USA

#19 – Banff, Canada

#20 – Steamboat Spring, CO, USA

#21 – Telluride, CO, USA

#22 – Jackson, WY, USA

#23 – Wanaka, New Zealand

#24 – Stowe, VT, USA

#25 – Ketchum, ID, USA

What do you think? And what's your favorite?

altagirl

Staff member
It was fun just to tally up how many I've been to. I'm at 13.

And it's a really tough call to pick a favorite!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I'm at 11, but btw Truckee is not a ski resort. Favorites Zermatt & Chamonix out of the country.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Been to six so far, mostly in the Rockies plus Stowe. I think my favorite town is Jackson. Steamboat is close in terms of the town. JH wins partially because of the skiing options, including Grand Targhee, and being close to Yellowstone. Both have good bus systems so a car is not needed for a variety of lodging choices.

Perty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
3 for me-Zermatt, Chamonix and Whistler. Some might say that the list has rather a North American bias....:wink:
I would tend to rank places in terms of towns in which I would actually want to live all year round, with history, attractive architecture, good skiing, good general infrastructure and facilities. For me Zermatt ranks number one. Courmayeur should be in there. I think there would be a lot of votes for Val D'Isere from this side of the pond, likewise St Anton (though neither on my personal list).
We are off to Italy tomorrow for a short late summer investigation of Gressoney-La-Trinite- a little resort in the Monterosa ski area in the Aosta valley (basically just over the hill from Zermatt and Cervinia, though a long drive away if you had to go by car!). It probably won't win any prizes as a cool ski town, but I expect it to be cute and friendly. The trip is purely in the interests of research for the winter season, of course! We hope to mountain bike (with lift assisted uphill bits) over the mountains to Champoluc on one side and Alagna on the other. It's supposed to be a great area for off piste, quiet too..

abc

Banned
Some might say that the list has rather a North American bias....:wink:

I would tend to rank places in terms of towns in which I would actually want to live all year round, with history, attractive architecture, good skiing, good general infrastructure and facilities.
You got the WRONG definition of "ski town" than National Geographic. Take a closer look, who cares about best hotel to stay? TOURISTS!!! Not locals. So, livability doesn't even enter their equation!

Of the towns/villages I've been to that people actually LIVE, St Moritz beats North Conway hands down!

For those who had never been to North Conway, it consists of a bunch of strip malls and motels!

By American standard, North Conway is actually a good "ski town" because many skiers and even more outdoor enthusiasts live there. One of the biggest pluses is there's a bit of outdoor gear manufacturing going on, so you may even get a job besides being a liftie or groomer driver.

But that same standard fails Stowe completely! The only job besides driving a groomer? Well, you can work for Ben and Jerry the ice cream "giant"! But hey, the tourists LOVE it! That's why it's on the top 25 list!!!

Anyway, neither of them come even close to half of what St Moritz has to offer, either as a place to live, or even as a ski destination!

National Geographic used to fund expedition to the pole and top of world. Now, it just panders to baby boomers who want to feel good about where they choose to spend their retirement money.

p.s.
I've been to Girdwood, Alaska. It's the most desolate place on earth that still call itself a "town"! Sure, you get fantastic views of the mountain. But there's absolutely nothing else you could call "civilization"! I'd put Girdwood at about the same level as a prison exercise yard as far as attractive place to live.

ozgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
#9 – Aspen, CO, USA

#10 – Niseko, Japan

#17 – Whistler, Canada

#19 – Banff, Canada

#20 – Steamboat Spring, CO, USA

#23 – Wanaka, New Zealand (can I count Queenstown instead?)

I will be able to add next year!
#16 – Truckee, CA, USA

#22 – Jackson, WY, USA

I am finding this list a bit weird to be honest...

What makes a ski town?

ie why is Wanaka better than Queenstown?

I liked Steamboat, but it is the first Nth American resort I ever went to.

I love Niseko too. and it is probably the best overall 'ski town" by my definition. (which would be livable but also great holiday destination combined. I think places that don't have an us and them vibe is great.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I understand that "town" should require a bit more to be going on than just outdoor, mountain and snow related activities. After all, resort can be a purpose-built monstrosity with nothing but a few hotels. Anyway, why Davos is not on the list? It has 4 research institutes above everything else, so you don't even need to work in a ski-related industry. Innsbruck should probably also qualify though there are no ski lifts in town, and skiing starts some 10-20 miles away.

ozgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Snow addict. I agree Innsbruck should be on the list.

Nothing like a university and ski resort town merged together! Bargains galore!

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have only been to Girdwood and hoping to go to Jackson Hole and Bozeman this upcoming season.
I really liked Girdwood. I have only been there for a week, but I liked hippy vibe of the little town, friendly people, log homes and surrounding mountains. It's true that there is not much going on other skiing/outdoor sports, but that's what I liked about it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna