• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

The new REI #ForceOfNature campaign

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Companies are in business to make money. We all have the power to spend our dollars where we choose. While I do not feel that companies have the obligation to support certain causes, I am much more likely to spend my money supporting companies that align with my values.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Companies are in business to make money. We all have the power to spend our dollars where we choose. While I do not feel that companies have the obligation to support certain causes, I am much more likely to spend my money supporting companies that align with my values.

Yes, this, too. And boy do I spend money at REI, as well as at local outdoor shops that treat me respectfully and provide me with information.

Along these lines, I needed to order some small parts for my motorcycle. The salesguy I spoke to knew his stuff, informed me I could easily install the parts myself, and then - and then - he noticed my address and asked, since it's an hour's drive for me, if I would like him to drop the parts at my house. His family was in the area, anyway. And yes, he hand-delivered the parts. And the whole way treated me respectfully, even though I shared with him that I was no longer going to be riding because I'd realized I wasn't riding enough to be safe.

I need to reach out to that store and tell them how awesome he was (I have a vague niggle that if I do so, it could turn out he was violating some policy...) I can ask him if he'd like that. If I were to keep riding, this experience plus others there would definitely ensure store loyalty.

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, this, too. And boy do I spend money at REI, as well as at local outdoor shops that treat me respectfully and provide me with information.

Along these lines, I needed to order some small parts for my motorcycle. The salesguy I spoke to knew his stuff, informed me I could easily install the parts myself, and then - and then - he noticed my address and asked, since it's an hour's drive for me, if I would like him to drop the parts at my house. His family was in the area, anyway. And yes, he hand-delivered the parts. And the whole way treated me respectfully, even though I shared with him that I was no longer going to be riding because I'd realized I wasn't riding enough to be safe.

I need to reach out to that store and tell them how awesome he was (I have a vague niggle that if I do so, it could turn out he was violating some policy...) I can ask him if he'd like that. If I were to keep riding, this experience plus others there would definitely ensure store loyalty.

What a great experience! It is so nice when people do this and it results in great advertising for their store. The fact that they care about people is so refreshing. I think you can reach out to the store and tell them what great service you had from him without identifying specifically what he did. I had an experience like that recently where an employee at a store comped some ski demos for me. I did not want to get him in trouble so I wrote a very nice note to his manager indicating how much he had helped me select the right equipment etc.

Christy

Angel Diva
I also wanted to mention this response to the REI campaign:
https://www.terraincognitamedia.com...-matter-you-can-buy-it-at-an-rei-near-you2017

I think this woman makes a lot of good points and I get her frustration. I also think REI is a fundamentally good company with good intentions that gives a ton of money and time to support outdoor organizations and causes. Those things can both be true! :smile: I like the Force of Nature campaign overall.

That made me roll my eyes a lot. REI can't have ad campaigns like this because as a country we aren't addressing racial and economic disparity enough? Okay.

She's actually wrong about this:

The racial divide is not noted once. Black women, people of color, economic disparity, are not discussed.

I was impressed at the content of the "catalog." Inside were stories about immigrants and people of color becoming comfortable outdoors, and about women designing better women's gear and taking on non-traditional outdoors leadership roles. As we in the NPS have learned recently with the well publicized sexual harassment cases, the matter of women serving on fire crews, river crews, etc is not a settled matter according to a lot of the guys they work with. So the content inside I thought was much more interesting and current than the cover, which as I already said seems to me 50 years out of date.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm not sure these attitudes are "out of date". I had my bike tuned for the season at a local bike shop. The guy I dealt with was younger than me but not a kid. He was very friendly, complimented me on having a really nice bike, etc. However, when I went to leave he said to me "do you need help getting your bike to you car?" A little stunned I commented how light the bike is, picked it up and walked out the door.

BTW, my bike weighs less than 18 lbs. Before I picked up the bike I had been working out with my trainer doing kettlebell swings with a 35lb kettlebell.

These are the kind of comments I get all the time.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Little Lightning ugh! But I have to say, my bike shop makes that offer for my mountain bikes, and they have plenty of respect for me. I never took advantage, but also never saw it as demeaning, although now I wonder if they offer the same to men.

On the other hand, most men would rather saw off their left testicle than accept that sort of help ....

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm not sure these attitudes are "out of date". I had my bike tuned for the season at a local bike shop. The guy I dealt with was younger than me but not a kid. He was very friendly, complimented me on having a really nice bike, etc. However, when I went to leave he said to me "do you need help getting your bike to you car?" A little stunned I commented how light the bike is, picked it up and walked out the door.

BTW, my bike weighs less than 18 lbs. Before I picked up the bike I had been working out with my trainer doing kettlebell swings with a 35lb kettlebell.

Given your description of the guy, it is possible /likely that he was simply trying to be helpful and not making some sort of judgment about your ability to carry your bike. I think we need to be able to differentiate.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Given your description of the guy, it is possible /likely that he was simply trying to be helpful and not making some sort of judgment about your ability to carry your bike. I think we need to be able to differentiate.
I agree, if the bike did not have a kickstand I would appreciate a few extra hands while getting the back of the car opened etc.

Mary Tee

Angel Diva

I think it all depends on tone and attitude. I have had men ask if I NEEDED help with something, and you know it was all they could do not to add "little lady" to the end of the sentence, and pat me on the head...uuugggh! And other times it's "can I give you a hand with that" with no inference that I can't handle it myself... Makes all the difference in the world.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva

I'm petite and older and have back issues. I am not offended if asked if I need help with something heavy (such as huge potting soil bags).

What annoys me is when looking at demo skis and told "you probably want a "ladies intermediate" ski in a 140.. Nothing is wrong with that but how about asking me what I like in a ski and what kind of terrain I ski in....etc etc

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not offended if someone asks if I need help, either. For example, putting a bag in an overhead compartment in a plane is a real trial for me. I'm short and lifting the bag high enough ain't easy. So yeah, that's okay. The way I look at it, it's just someone trying to be helpful. I'd do the same for someone else, if I could. There's nothing wrong with helping someone who's having difficulty with something.

But like @santacruz skier, I don't want anyone making assumptions about my skiing just because of my gender, size, or age. Or really, assumptions about anything about me.

mustski

Angel Diva
I HATE the "you should smile more." I don't get it in that exact wording, but if I had a dollar for every time some guy has told me to "smile!" Nobody is walking around telling other guys to smile.
I am a theater teacher and say that at least 15 times a day when we are working on dance numbers. I really dislike pointing this out, but males laugh and smile much more than females - at least in the 12 -13 yrs range. I blame the whole "no smile photo shoot magazine thing."

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I am a theater teacher and say that at least 15 times a day when we are working on dance numbers. I really dislike pointing this out, but males laugh and smile much more than females - at least in the 12 -13 yrs range. I blame the whole "no smile photo shoot magazine thing."
Is that it? I always feel when watching dancers etc the smiles seem , well fake. Maybe that's because I cannot keep a controlled smile for any length of time.

mustski

Angel Diva
Stage smiles are fake- it's acting. However, how "fake" it appears is the difference between a poor and an excellent performer. I refer to it as engaging the face. Makes do so naturally; females do not. Of course this is a general rule and there are always exceptions.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

So you're sitting it's OK then because we're not smiling enough?? I'm not following.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva

I think it's more because boys at that age are more comfortable in their own skin.....adolescent girls generally are not. It's much easier for me to joke around with male students than females because the girls can tend to take things personally.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My trainer's comment was "appearance". My SO's comments to the story were, "asking to hold the shop door" was ok. He added, "Is the guy going to accompany you on bike tours to carry the bike for you when you need it?". He was thinking of the soft chip and seal that we got into last year on a bike tour in Illinois. No one offered to carry my bike through it. There have been lots of occasions that I've had to carry my bike while riding.

I know exactly how my bike goes in my car and having someone who doesn't know what to do wouldn't be much help to me.

I realize that bike shops are a man's world. Often it's the DH or BF that take care of bike issues, not the woman herself. Here in the Denver area there's lots of women who ride so I was startled by the comment.

I just bought a t-shirt that states, "My Body Is Stronger Than It Looks".

Powgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I think this is an indication of a young man being raised well and/or good customer service...both which should be encouraged!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna