• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

The new REI #ForceOfNature campaign

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just got the latest REI catalog. Loving the cover. DH asked, "Isn't that uncomfortable?" I said, "I don't think any woman would find it uncomfortable."

mV32kN1.jpg

newboots

Angel Diva
I'm on my phone, so the picture is small. I kept struggling to find the uncomfortable part!

Christy

Angel Diva
I've seen the tv ads. My first thought was, aren't we a generation past this? (This isn't the only time I've thought this when I've heard about some group/ad/etc). But of course, women making up half the population, we are not all the same and we haven't had the same experiences, so I know it may resonate with others. So while it doesn't resonate with me, it doesn't make me uncomfortable.

Although lol looking at it more I can't help but nitpick. I'm 48, so not young. Has anyone my age or younger every been told they should like pink, or be more ladylike, or to go inside, our stop scaring boys??? Again that seems like stuff an older generation was raised with.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I HATE the "you should smile more." I don't get it in that exact wording, but if I had a dollar for every time some guy has told me to "smile!" Nobody is walking around telling other guys to smile.

Christy

Angel Diva
Okay, that is a thing. Being told to smile is super obnoxious and that doesn't happen to men. With me at least though it was always old men on the bus or something, not people whose opinions I cared about.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got the mailing too. I think this is an attempt to counter balance the messages that all women get from the media and society. In reality, what are the messages all girls and women hear and see? Women should be thin, have perfect bodies, perfectly made up, etc. Women's fitness magazines and the fitness industry still promote weight loss, sexy shapes, thinner thighs, toned tummies, shapely butts or flat abs. The fitness models are mostly thin with a slight bulge of muscle. The pictures are photo shopped into unrealistic images of women's bodies. The only muscles one sees are on the men trainers who are demonstrating workouts for women. I once saw an article in one of these magazines about snowshoeing for fitness. Except, the article talked about how to look stylish, $500 hiking boots and what makeup to wear. Not 1 mention of fitness.

Inside the flyer there is statement "7 in 10 women believe they are under more pressure to conform than men" and "7 in 10 women say they feel liberated and free when they are outdoors". As skiers I think we can all agree to that last statement.

The goal of this campaign is to empower women by getting them outdoors, feature more women and close gaps in women's gear. In May REI plans community events, trips and classes designed for women.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow. I was part of the Free to be, You and me generation, but I guess it wasn't that way everywhere?

Most of the critical messages came from my mom, to be honest. In many ways she was incredibly pro-woman, but she also had - has - a lot of entrenched ideas about looks and the importance of being attractive to men.

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I need to look at the OP on a bigger screen so I can actually read it! Lol

That said, piggybacking on @Christy and @bounceswoosh, I hate being put into box at any age. I remember very well my mid-20s being a young, petite woman in a corporate setting and being talked down to.

Back then I would do whatever I could to try to look older and have people in authority -- especially men -- take me seriously. I was thrilled to finally need glasses in my late 20s because they gave me a little bit of professional cred. I wore them more than I actually needed to.

Now I'm a month away from 50 (yay for Club AARP!), and I love being comfortable in my own skin. Although I do confess that I like it when age happens to come up, and my millennial colleagues say that I don't look or act 50. ;-)

Btw, for those who may not know, AARP is no longer your dad's (or your grandma's) 'retired people' organization. They changed their name and dropped the 'retired' part 10+ years ago.

Now they say that AARP age (which starts at 50) should be considered the age of Real Possibilities. Their social media hashtag is #DisruptAging...and I love it.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For me the critical messages are about my size. Small and thin. When I was 17 a male friend told me that I didn't have a bad figure but when I turned sideways no one could see me. Since that time I've been I'm so tiny, told to eat more, if I had more meat on my bones I wouldn't be cold, don't exercise you're too thin, you're fragile, you must be anorexic. Last month a male friend that I hadn't seen in years told me that I always was a lite eater. The comments came from family, coworkers, strangers. One came from a 90 year old woman who was not much bigger than me. None of these people ever stop to think about the message they send to me. Too small and weak to be of any value.

For me being outdoors has given me a sense of myself. I've toured many states on my bicycle. On one tour starting in Maine and into Canada we crossed the Appalachians 4 times. The route was so hilly that my SO complained. I've ridden through wind, rain and climbed hills others walked. Occasionally I've given up and sagged in but most of the time I'm out there riding every mile by myself.

Through all of this, biking, skiing, hiking, using weight machines, etc. I didn't think of my self as strong. Capable maybe but not strong. Recently I've been working with a trainer and now at age 68 I've discovered that I've been strong all along. I have "ant strength" and it's all powered by me.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm 48, so not young. Has anyone my age or younger every been told they should like pink, or be more ladylike, or to go inside, our stop scaring boys???

I'm also 48, and yes. I liked and played sports a lot, especially basketball, and always felt pressured (often explicitly) to be more "ladylike." More than once, my lacrosse and softball teammates and I were referred to as "dykes on spikes." I would have liked hiking, camping, and biking if anyone in my family or entire network of suburban friends ever did anything outside other than golf or drink gin and tonics. Luckily skiing is bourgeois enough that we were encouraged to do that at least.

newboots

Angel Diva
I
Now I'm a month away from 50 (yay for Club AARP!), and I love being comfortable in my own skin. Although I do confess that I like it when age happens to come up, and my millennial colleagues say that I don't look or act 50. ;-)

Hey, Deb - you tell them, "This is what 50 LOOKS LIKE!"

I'm 63, and daily I'm battling even my own sense of what 63 is "supposed" to be. My (active, funny, lively) friend Mary said to me today - in reference to I-can't-remember-what - "I was born in 1942." Even though I know how old Mary is, it still took my breath away for a moment.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Outside magazine this month features articles by women on women athletes. I think REI Force of Nature is a big sponser for this issue.

luliski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Outside magazine this month features articles by women on women athletes. I think REI Force of Nature is a big sponser for this issue.
Maybe Outside magazine is finally getting a clue. Usually they feature much less gear for women, and the women's gear looks pretty but not functional. My daughter and I are big outdoor enthusiasts and I have bought many issues of the magazine, only to be disappointed every single issue at the lack of inclusion of women. You'd think men were the only ones having fun outdoor adventures!

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe Outside magazine is finally getting a clue. Usually they feature much less gear for women, and the women's gear looks pretty but not functional. My daughter and I are big outdoor enthusiasts and I have bought many issues of the magazine, only to be disappointed every single issue at the lack of inclusion of women. You'd think men were the only ones having fun outdoor adventures!

The Outside women's issue is really, really good. Particularly this article, imho: https://www.outsideonline.com/2169946/we-tell-it-it

It is a bummer that Outside doesn't just put more articles about women in every issue, since there's clearly enough material, but I still appreciate this issue as the gesture that it is.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
I also wanted to mention this response to the REI campaign:
https://www.terraincognitamedia.com...-matter-you-can-buy-it-at-an-rei-near-you2017

I think this woman makes a lot of good points and I get her frustration. I also think REI is a fundamentally good company with good intentions that gives a ton of money and time to support outdoor organizations and causes. Those things can both be true! :smile: I like the Force of Nature campaign overall.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I also wanted to mention this response to the REI campaign:
https://www.terraincognitamedia.com...-matter-you-can-buy-it-at-an-rei-near-you2017

I think this woman makes a lot of good points and I get her frustration. I also think REI is a fundamentally good company with good intentions that gives a ton of money and time to support outdoor organizations and causes. Those things can both be true! :smile: I like the Force of Nature campaign overall.

I mean .....

On the one hand, I understand her frustration. On the other hand, corporations don't have to do anything at all about feminism, diversity, etc., and while I see what she doesn't like, I'm not clear on what she wants to happen instead. Should companies anonymously donate to existing organizations so that they don't inadvertently get any benefit from supporting these causes? Should companies stay the hell out and not contribute any of their filthy lucre? Should perfect be the enemy of the good?

I think if the message were, "This is a good effort, but here's how you can do it better!" I would find it easier to jump on board.

FWIW, I do remember seeing *some* non-white and some not-tiny bodies in a "force of nature" REI ad quite recently.

The criticism about trans people is especially interesting to me because ... well, aside from people who identify as gender fluid or gender non-conforming, my understanding is that trans people want to be seen as the gender they see themselves as - as in, if they're successful, no one's going to guess they're trans. I'm picturing a woman holding a big white sign saying "Trans" with an arrow pointed at herself. Obviously there are more subtle ways to go about this, and I'm not remotely qualified to make suggestions, and neither do all trans people have the same views on everything ...

So, maybe I'm part of the problem, but I *do* appreciate seeing large companies throwing their advertising dollars behind these sorts of campaigns. Obviously they are companies, and so we should be aware of their motives (this is true, actually, whether it's a company or your neighbor), but ...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna