• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tennis Elbow?

Jenny

Angel Diva
Does anyone know if tennis elbow pain goes up over the elbow, too, so it's on the upper arm just above the elbow, and not just below it?

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had medial epiconalytis (sp?), inside of elbow. If I remember correctly the pain was below the elbow. Don't remember pain above the elbow. Took forever for it to go away.

newboots

Angel Diva
I don't remember, since I've had two sports of elbow. If I remember correctly, the other one was golfer's.

What I DO remember is that PT was simple and straightforward and it got better right away when I really did the exercises as prescribed. I only had a couple of PT visits.

Good luck!

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm a walking elbow disaster.

When I had tennis elbow years ago, my arm ached below my elbow. If I touched my elbow on the end of the humerus, the pain level hit a 10. (The protrusions at the end of the humorous are called the epicondyles. The lateral epicondyle hurt.) I went through a couple of rounds of PT unsuccessfully, and finally had surgery. If it flares again, I use the Band-it forearm brace at the first sign of pain.

Last year, I tore my distal biceps tendon at the head of the radial tuberosity. That one was really painful in my upper arm. I heard a pop and the pain was instantaneous - like fireworks. (The doctor told me I was too old for surgery - yikes)

Where on your upper arm is the pain?

Jenny

Angel Diva
It's definitely the lateral vs the medial, and basically it aches in the same place above the elbow as below it, like whatever goes through/over from the outside of the forearm simply continuing up the arm.

I'm pretty sure it's from lifting stuff that I shouldn't when I'm at the food bank warehouse (boxes of meat are really heavy!), exacerbated by the fact that I sleep with it kind of tucked up under my body so it's got weight on it in weird positions.

Started wearing the arm band on Monday when I was lifting and figured I'd wear it for a few more days this week and then every time I'm at the food bank. Also looked up the stretching exercises for the wrist, but need to see if there is anything else I should be doing. Am trying to learn to sleep on my back but that seems impossible so far.

RhodySkiBum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Funny that you should post this today - since my elbow has started bothering me. It's not severe, not keeping me from doing anything - and hopefully it won't! And it is only sore when I move it a certain way.......probably a tendonitis? IDK - still seeing PT for my finger, maybe I will ask him tomorrow.........

I will be following this thread :-)

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Does anyone know if tennis elbow pain goes up over the elbow, too, so it's on the upper arm just above the elbow, and not just below it?
Yes it can. The tendon involved attaches above the elbow near the tricep and can hurt as well there. You can actually wear the band above the elbow with this pain as well as below which works for me better as mine seems to attach rather high on the arm.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Funny that you should post this today - since my elbow has started bothering me. It's not severe, not keeping me from doing anything - and hopefully it won't! And it is only sore when I move it a certain way.......probably a tendonitis? IDK - still seeing PT for my finger, maybe I will ask him tomorrow.........

I will be following this thread :-)
Let me know what PT says for exercises . . .

Yes it can. The tendon involved attaches above the elbow near the tricep and can hurt as well there. You can actually wear the band above the elbow with this pain as well as below which works for me better as mine seems to attach rather high on the arm.
Good to know - maybe I'll try that one day this week and see what kind of difference there is.

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had this several years ago. I went to a rolfer and that helped tremendously.

The band helped.

The rolfer told me to use my arm as little as possible -carry purse/briefcase in other arm, no opening doors or anything. I think that helped quite a bit as well. It gradually went away.

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well jeez, can I join the club? I just went to the dr today for pain on the inside of both elbows and really bad pain (wakes me up) on the outside of my right elbow . Started after skiing 3 days at Breck after doing nothing for over a month (family issues). I feel that pain up and down my arm--tight, tired muscles I think. Tennis/golfer elbows. Dr's RX:

• 600 mg ibuprofen 3 X a day after meals for a week (said you need to maintain a certain level in your body to help reduce inflammation)
  • Heat in the a.m., ice before going to bed
  • Wear the arm band when working during the day and definitely when skiing as much as I can stand it
  • Sleep with wrist guards to I don't bend my wrists when sleeping at night
  • Pt, which I will start soon

Really hoping this all helps! Getting old sux.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I remember the pain as mostly below the elbow. I did PT for a few months over 20 years ago. What was most helping was learning stretches and better ways to use a keyboard. Sleeping with a splint made a big difference. These days there are generic splints available.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Am trying to learn to sleep on my back but that seems impossible so far.

Can you try and sleep on the non-injured side? And then bolster with a large pillow between your arms so the injured arm is fully supported...

Jenny

Angel Diva
Can you try and sleep on the non-injured side? And then bolster with a large pillow between your arms so the injured arm is fully supported...
Facing that way means I'm breathing stale air! Seriously, I do try that, because the shoulder of the same arm gets all irritated if I'm on it too much, too. My preferred sleeping position is on my stomach, much like this:
image.jpeg
Only my left arm would be even more under me than hers is. So I need to learn to sleep on my back for my arm, shoulder, neck, face wrinkles, etc.

Between this and menopausal sleep issues (I think) I'm getting awfully tired lately!

Jenny

Angel Diva
I've been wearing the arm band for a week and a half now - can feel a difference. Especially since I forgot to put it on yesterday and could tell by the end of the day (and it was just a day in the office, no yoga, no lifting, just keyboard and mouse). I try to remember to put it on before using the hairdryer in the morning, too. Even with it on, you know what really hurts? Spraying hairspray. More painful than any other motion I can think of offhand.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Facing that way means I'm breathing stale air! Seriously, I do try that, because the shoulder of the same arm gets all irritated if I'm on it too much, too. My preferred sleeping position is on my stomach, much like this:
View attachment 7006
Only my left arm would be even more under me than hers is. So I need to learn to sleep on my back for my arm, shoulder, neck, face wrinkles, etc.

Between this and menopausal sleep issues (I think) I'm getting awfully tired lately!

(Ok this is really odd, but I was just reading through this and realized I have those exact same pajama pants. Old Navy, I think.)

I got tennis elbow several summers ago from stripping and staining my deck. As a lifelong tennis player, I found this somewhat funny, because it was the only time I ever had it, but I guess the vast majority of cases are caused by things other than tennis. I ended up having to go see someone about it, after none of the home remedies worked. He is a chiropractor for the PGA, and wow that worked fast. One of the things he did was use a metal scraper to break up adhesions (it had been several months), and that worked super well. Slightly painful, but effective. I think it's called Graston technique.

This ski season, I took a fall and sort of tweaked my left elbow. Nothing bad, I didn't even really notice it was painful for a while, but this was January and it's still irritated (I'm right-handed so I can ignore the left arm better). I ended up purchasing a gua sha, because I don't really know why (it looked interesting... sorta the same concept as a foam roller but a lot smaller, and it's supposed to do other stuff too), and wow that has helped a lot. The only thing is, it helps, then I don't use it, then a week later it's sore again, etc, same old story. But at $12, it's worth a shot. The gua sha also helped with some tendonitis I was having in my left index finger.

CarolB

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One of the things he did was use a metal scraper to break up adhesions

Yeah, I work in an Athletics Department and the Sports Physio there says thats what they do- get in and rub at the insertion point. Hurts. The Theraband is to release the tension and build strength.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Gua sha is ancient chinese secret!

My tool is jade, looks like this:
db_file_img_4682_800x600.jpg

And yes, I use it to "scrape" and massage. There is a bunch of stuff on the internet. (I don't do the big-time massage that bruises you. I just use it to get into tight places.) I've only had it a few weeks, so still experimenting.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Those pictures of some people's backs were something! And so many shapes of these things, packaged up like little tool kits of torture, lol.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna