• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Summer fun fitness?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Better there than in your house! Get it out of their systems...

They're mostly okay with just lying about, at this point (9 and 6 years old). But it's not good for them. Mostly I treat them much like I treat myself, for better or worse - long periods of inactivity punctuated by weekend warrior extravaganzas.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't know that birding counts as a fitness activity, but lately I do a bunch of hiking (albeit slow to take pictures and look around) to watch birds. It gets me off the sofa anyway! :smile: And I think the dogs are happy about this development. They're like YAY we get to stop and sniff things WAY more often!
And your pictures are OUTSTANDING, lady!

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thought I'd give an update on my progress with my personal trainer. Since mid-April I've been training 3 days. In early June I advanced from working on form with lighter weights to "weight training". This week I deadlifted 6 reps of 95 lbs. That 95% of my bodyweight. When I can do a set of 8 reps I will move up another 10 #. Assisted pull ups are getting easier but I still can't do a pushup from the floor. Upper body only comes off the floor a couple of inches. I've graduated from doing single leg squats with the TRX to doing them on a bench. Left side still a little shaky though. There's a lot more I do like pushing and pulling a sled, kettlebell swings, lunging. Every workout is different but there is a lot of focus on strengthening my left hip.

My low back doesn't bother me anymore. I'm lifting and carrying things I couldn't handle before. No more asking SO for help. My feet have gotten wider from lifting barefoot. Wish they'd get longer too but so far that hasn't happened.

I was still getting ankle pain from bicycling but I narrowed that down to my shoe insoles so I'm trying a new brand. Still working with them to get them right. I also suspect that walking barefoot on hard surfaces (tile and hardwood) in my house contributes to the irritation. Yesterday, I got a pair of Oofos sandals. They are supposed to be "recovery for your feet". They are designed opposite running shoes and claim to help strengthen the feet and ankles. They are cushioning but supportive, if that makes sense. We'll see if they work. At least, I now have a cute pair of sandals I can actually wear.

Finally, I get a weekly massage. There's still trigger points in my cranky hip but they are subsiding. I'm less sore and stiff from all this exercise. Fortunately, my massage therapist works on Saturdays so I'll be able to continue during the ski season.

Whew! I'm looking forward to an awesome ski season.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thought I'd give an update on my progress with my personal trainer. Since mid-April I've been training 3 days.

[snip]

Finally, I get a weekly massage. There's still trigger points in my cranky hip but they are subsiding. I'm less sore and stiff from all this exercise. Fortunately, my massage therapist works on Saturdays so I'll be able to continue during the ski season.

Whew! I'm looking forward to an awesome ski season.
Thanks for the update!

Working with a personal trainer and getting a regular massage is a great combination. I've been working with the same personal trainer for four years now. The past year I've been traveling a lot for a variety of reasons, which makes it harder to maintain an exercise routine. Was able to get in four weekly sessions in June, which was enough to get me back into deliberately exercises on my own more regularly again. Feels good!

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just googled "Oofos " sandals. Title 9 (I love their stuff and shop frequently there) has them... I was thinking of buying these hoka one one's.
https://www.hokaoneone.com/womens-recovery-sandals/ora-recovery-slide/1014865.html

You're doing great! Deadlifting 95 lbs..... not me yet!
Just googled "Oofos " sandals. Title 9 (I love their stuff and shop frequently there) has them... I was thinking of buying these hoka one one's.
https://www.hokaoneone.com/womens-recovery-sandals/ora-recovery-slide/1014865.html

You're doing great! Deadlifting 95 lbs..... not me yet!
Didn't think I would ever be able to deadlift due to cranky SI joint. Developing good core strength and using good form made it possible. However, the 1st lift is mentally a struggle.
I went in running store looking for Altra's. They have a casual shoe that I thought would be good. Store said they sell mostly trail shoes in the Altra brand. Did have the Oofas so I tried on their smallest size-6 but it was too big. The salesgirl asked one of the guys if they had anything smaller. The guy brought out these, https://www.oofos.com/collections/w...omens-sandal-oolala-black?variant=19099982277 in a size 5. Someone had special ordered them but didn't pick them up. They had been there for 3 weeks so he sold them to me. It's taking me some time to get used to them. I'm not used to the arch support and would like the heel to be lower. However, my ankle seems to be happy so far.
Also, had a massage yesterday afternoon. Fewer trigger points in left hip. Amazing since the massage was after my 1st 20 mile bike ride for the season.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the update!

Working with a personal trainer and getting a regular massage is a great combination. I've been working with the same personal trainer for four years now. The past year I've been traveling a lot for a variety of reasons, which makes it harder to maintain an exercise routine. Was able to get in four weekly sessions in June, which was enough to get me back into deliberately exercises on my own more regularly again. Feels good!
Agreed, would never know to do this stuff on my own. Nor would I attempt the weight I now work with.
I worry that I'm getting addicted though. Next week we're off to Wisconsin for week long bike tour. Will be gone for 10 days. I'm more concerned about missing my workouts and massages than the fact that I'm untrained for the tour and my longest ride this season has been 20 miles. Still not used to the changes that have been made to my bike.

marzNC

Angel Diva
When traveling, the one routine that I manage to do every so often is the 7-Minute Workout. That's the interval training workout that was written up by the NY Times in 2013. My personal trainer introduced it to me. When I started, it was pretty difficult to do all the exercises for a full 30-sec. I liked the workout for a few reasons. First, it takes less than 10 minutes. Second, I can do it in pretty much any motel room. If I haven't brought my yoga mat, I just put a towel on the floor. I'm petite and confident enough that usually I can use the chair in the room. Or I just do something different instead. The exercises include all the basics that are relevant for ski conditioning, including squats, lunges, and planks. I use a free App on my iPhone that does the timing and gives verbal prompts about what's coming next.

Found a video that includes pretty good explanations. Hadn't thought about the idea of "active rest" before. Not really interested though. With full rest, I can finish the workout but it's a push at the end. Especially if I do it towards the end of a busy day. Would rather put the effort into doing full push ups.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna