• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Summer fun fitness?

newboots

Angel Diva
I hike in the summer, mostly on this mountain that's a 3-minute drive from the house, which means I can go after work. What else should I be doing? I want my legs and the rest of me in shape next fall.

I notice many of you mountain bike. That seems truly impossible to me (legs!!! uphill!!!). I like a challenging mountain hike uphill, but the thought of biking uphill intentionally seems out of reach. I also confess I'm very unlikely to be found in a gym.

What's your summer fun activity that keeps your ski legs strong?

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I run, road bike, and mountain bike. A small amount of hiking but not enough to really contribute to fitness.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used to play a lot of tennis, but not so much anymore, not enough to keep me fit. Mostly I hike and work out in my (very air-conditioned) basement), but this year I finally bought a bike. I don't plan on much actual "mountain" biking, mostly paths and dirt roads, and a little mtn biking, but it will be good for the legs, better than hiking downhill has been.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I bike. Will do a week long tour in July. However, the most beneficial thing I've found is strength training. For years I went to the gym and used machines. I didn't do it for strength but thought it was good for skiing and biking. When I moved to Colorado I quit lifting. I tore my ACL, my low back and hip started bothering me. I lost muscle in my arms and legs. Common in older people. Last Christmas, I got injured by a snow boarder and didn't think I would ski this year because I still had pain after 2 rounds of PT. In Nov. I started working with a personal trainer.

Because of skiing I didn't get to work with the trainer more than 1 day a week. However, I learned so much about myself and improved my skiing. I learned I'm much stronger than I thought. I discovered that I was not using my left side. I am still working with this but my balance and strength is improving. A couple of weeks ago I discovered how to shift my weight to my left side to make ski turns. This helped my ankle pain. I stopped lifting my right foot in powder and crud. My turns are quicker and more confident. It's like my left side "woke up".

When I started with my trainer I was worried he'd make me do the things I see in the Cross Fit videos. Like skiing, strength training is a progress of skills. The first and most important thing I learned was to touch my toes. This basic movement changed my life. This summer I'm sure I will achieve a lot of training PR's. I will ride my bicycle stronger and be more capable in my daily activities. I've learned that if you are weak you give up your independence.

Strength training is an investment in my health and my quality of life as I age.

Jilly

Staff member
I need to do something to get the legs in better shape, so I'm thinking about dusting off the bike. I do paddle everything from SUP, kayak to dragon boat. But that doesn't have that much leg work in it. So.....Also Planet Fitness is coming to town. So I think I might join as it's really cheap.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I bike. Will do a week long tour in July. However, the most beneficial thing I've found is strength training. For years I went to the gym and used machines. I didn't do it for strength but thought it was good for skiing and biking. When I moved to Colorado I quit lifting. I tore my ACL, my low back and hip started bothering me. I lost muscle in my arms and legs. Common in older people. Last Christmas, I got injured by a snow boarder and didn't think I would ski this year because I still had pain after 2 rounds of PT. In Nov. I started working with a personal trainer.

Because of skiing I didn't get to work with the trainer more than 1 day a week. However, I learned so much about myself and improved my skiing. I learned I'm much stronger than I thought. I discovered that I was not using my left side. I am still working with this but my balance and strength is improving. A couple of weeks ago I discovered how to shift my weight to my left side to make ski turns. This helped my ankle pain. I stopped lifting my right foot in powder and crud. My turns are quicker and more confident. It's like my left side "woke up".

When I started with my trainer I was worried he'd make me do the things I see in the Cross Fit videos. Like skiing, strength training is a progress of skills. The first and most important thing I learned was to touch my toes. This basic movement changed my life. This summer I'm sure I will achieve a lot of training PR's. I will ride my bicycle stronger and be more capable in my daily activities. I've learned that if you are weak you give up your independence.

Strength training is an investment in my health and my quality of life as I age.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think I was misleading when I said "Strength Training". I don't spend an hour just lifting. My program uses weights, kettle bells, TRX, ropes, the sled, balls etc. I'm pushing, pulling, hinging, squatting, hopping, jumping, lifting, balancing, etc. Based on my heart rate at times I get cardio in there too. I still have to include time on my bike for the tour but I'm hoping won't need to do endless hours of training for it.

luliski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm struggling with fitness because of back problems for the past year or so. But I swim year-round (great Masters swim team in my town), I run, and I road bike. I used to ride 2000+ miles a year and do a few century rides, 100 mile Gran Fondos, etc., every year; but the past couple of years I haven't even hit 1000 miles. I got a little burned out training for those 100 mile rides. I'm trying to do more riding this year, since I'm not able to run as much with my back. I love riding uphill and downhill! But I hate riding in the wind, and it is windy around here. It's also about an hour to ride to hills, or a 20 minute car ride. I also love to hike, but don't do it enough for it to increase my fitness.

I would love to have a mountain bike and do more of that again (used to mountain bike when I lived in Bay Area 20 years ago). It's more fun than being on the road and worrying about cars. But I live in a flat valley and would have to drive to mountain bike, so it's a lower priority. I'm hoping to eventually get a mountain bike and do that once a week or so.

I would also like to start working with a trainer to increase strength, flexibility, core, etc. What @Little Lightning is doing sounds like what I need. I've done some physical therapy for my back, but I never feel like my therapist understands how active I'm used to being!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I would also like to start working with a trainer to increase strength, flexibility, core, etc. What @Little Lightning is doing sounds like what I need. I've done some physical therapy for my back, but I never feel like my therapist understands how active I'm used to being!
@luliski I had lower back issues for 2 years - MRI showed two bulging discs and annular tear. Went to Physiatrist and had injections... Still didn't work... Finally went to PT for 2 months (I'm not a good pill popper so really didn't take anything - didn't work anyhow.) Then went to personal trainer and in August once a week until I left for Euro ski trip. Also once a month to new sports chiropractor that does method like acupressure. It's painful but I'm now better. No more back pain at night and just occasional pain here and there. Now with ACL issue/meniscus I am allowed to ride a stationary bike for 15-30 minutes. So the rebel that I am decided to ride my mountain bike (only one I have) for the past 2 days along the ocean and back. It feels so good. I'm not allowed to stand while riding and no hills. After I finish PT I will resume my once a week with personal trainer.

luliski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@santacruz skier , I'll have to have imaging on my back now that ski season is winding down. I don't really know what is wrong and it seems like that should guide treatment. My physical therapist did recommend imaging after 6 sessions of PT, but I haven't made it a priority yet. I'm still doing the PT exercises, and don't have much sciatic nerve irritation now. I just have sacroiliac stiffness when I get out of bed, and sometimes pain when I flex my back. Depending on what imaging shows, I may go see an active release therapy guy that many around here recommend.

I would be doing the same as you re: biking. I bought a trainer for my a my road bike a few years ago, but it's so boring! You live in a great place for mountain biking! If I lived in Santa Cruz, I'd also have a mountain bike instead of a road bike.

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I hike, road bike, swim, run, and rock climb. I also work out at home, mostly body weight exercises, on days I'm not venturing outside. Hiking is mostly a weekend activity for me, and swimming and running are exclusively after work. Biking or climbing could be weekend or evening, though climbing is usually a weekend unless I'm going to a gym. If I've been doing more aerobic activities in a week (say, running, swimming and biking), then I'll usually focus my indoor workouts towards strength.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
@santacruz skier , I'll have to have imaging on my back now that ski season is winding down. I don't really know what is wrong and it seems like that should guide treatment. My physical therapist did recommend imaging after 6 sessions of PT, but I haven't made it a priority yet. I'm still doing the PT exercises, and don't have much sciatic nerve irritation now. I just have sacroiliac stiffness when I get out of bed, and sometimes pain when I flex my back. Depending on what imaging shows, I may go see an active release therapy guy that many around here recommend.

I would be doing the same as you re: biking. I bought a trainer for my a my road bike a few years ago, but it's so boring! You live in a great place for mountain biking! If I lived in Santa Cruz, I'd also have a mountain bike instead of a road bike.
We have great mountain biking here within a mile or so from my condo! Sadly I'm on the flats for a while.... but better than nothing.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Also have had SI joint and low back issues. It's been quite a journey for me. Don't know if my ACL surgery in 05 had anything to do with it or not. My SI joint locked on me when I bent over to pick up an empty gallon jug. That was in summer 07. My ACL knee was hurting, right foot hurt in the forefoot plus my low back hurt. Ortho said I had arthritis in left SI joint, that I needed lateral release surgery. Podiatrist said I had neuroma in foot. Ortho ended up sending me to PT and Physiatrist who ordered MRI. Nothing there so my condition was written off as "arthritis in right hip". That spring I saw a different PT who found the SI joint issue. Wow! what a relief. Knee and foot pain disappeared. For several years I kept having to go to PT to get adjusted. I've had massage, cupping and dry needling. No PT during that time checked my toe touch.

I searched very carefully before I chose my trainer. No. 1 they had to be trained in the Functional Movement Screen. This screen identifies what you do well and what needs improvement. They call their training Functional Movement but beware, the term Functional Movement means a lot of different things. For example, I hired a personal trainer at a local gym. On her bio she said her speciality was functional strength training, core development and balance for athletes. I spent an hour lifting weights on machines while we talked and she counted the reps. I did pushups very poorly and she never corrected me or worked with me on ways to improve. She tested my toe touch but didn't worry that I couldn't do it. We did planks and side planks which were taught to me by my PT. Basically, I was doing the same things I had done by myself for years. Just had someone to talk to and count my reps. I found my current trainer from the Functional Movement Systems website under their list of certified trainers for my area.

luliski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Little Lightning -thanks, that's helpful info.
Re: SI joint and knee pain: a swimmer/runner I know insisted to her doc that her knee pain was caused by her back being out of alignment, and when her doc sent her to a PT (who agreed with her), and she had an adjustment, her knee pain disappeared.
How did you find out about Functional Movement Systems? I've never heard of it, but it sounds good.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Little Lightning -thanks, that's helpful info.
Re: SI joint and knee pain: a swimmer/runner I know insisted to her doc that her knee pain was caused by her back being out of alignment, and when her doc sent her to a PT (who agreed with her), and she had an adjustment, her knee pain disappeared.
How did you find out about Functional Movement Systems? I've never heard of it, but it sounds good.
Yes, PT and doctors often look at the site of pain and no further. My PT said I could have had a bad fall as a kid that contributed to my misalignment.
After my non answers from the professionals I had worked with I was pretty lost. One day I was walking through a bookstore and stopped in the fitness section. I found a book called "Athletic Body and Balance" by Gray Cook. He wrote it for the non professional athlete. It made so much sense to me that I've followed Cook ever since. It didn't solve my problems but reinforced to me that something was going on that the medical community didn't see. He gave me hope. In the book he published the fitness screen and correctives so people like me could assess and help themselves.
Here is the link to the system. https://www.functionalmovement.com
If you scroll through the articles there is a lot of good information. Gray also talks about movement and exercise on his website https://graycook.com/

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@newboots Mountain biking doesn't have to be uphill all the time, or even mostly; there are all kinds of trails. With a relatively inexpensive hardtail from your local bike shop you can do quite a lot of whatever you fancy. New England also has a lot of ski areas that offer downhill, lift-served MTB. For anyone getting started on DH, I recommend Mt. Sunapee's bike park. It's very beginner-friendly, they offer instruction and bike rentals, and because it doesn't have any hard trails there are no cool-guy bikers screaming down the trail behind you.

luliski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Little Lightning I actually discovered that the gym/training/rehab center where my swimmer/runner friend went, uses the functional movement system. I am going to see if I can get referred there. I'll take a look at the website too, and maybe I'll get the book. I suspect that everyone I work with at the hospital could use some education about functional movement. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna