• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

So who has new gear for 16/17?

veronicarella

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Smith Vantage helmet + I/O 7 goggles

I read in another thread that the recommended replacement frequency for helmet is: 3 years or after a bad fall, whichever come first. My helmet is 3 years old and I slid down a chute head first for 300 meters. It was time for a helmet!

The goggles, which are designed for optimized performance and perfect fit to Smith helmets, were my consolation prize for surviving the big fall.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hair of the dog that bit me! These are the exact pair of skis I was demo'ing on May 7, 2016, when I had my little booboo. As I was writhing on the snow in pain, I told @SnowHot that if these skis became available, I wanted first dibs.

At the start of the season, I asked about them. I got the impression they weren't going to be available, so I put them out of my mind. Then after SIA, I got the text - "Do you still want them?" I hemmed and hawed, but ultimately, yes! I loved these skis for the few runs I had them. And there's a bit of "get back on the horse," too. I know the skis aren't the reason I busted my knee, but I still want to prove to myself that I can ski them.

Since then, Breck has pretty much been bone dry (at least by the time the weekend rolls around), so they've just been closet candy.

qtRjqtR.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Haven't taken a proper pic of them yet, but I got a pair of Stöckli Stormrider 85 @ 159cm at Taos from Le Ski Mastery. They are waiting for me out west with Bill. We're meeting up at Alta Lodge when I go out with my daughter during her spring break. :becky:

Was hoping to demo the Stormrider 85 after enjoying them at the Whitetail demo day in early Jan. Turns out that Le Ski Mastery is one of the major dealers for Stöckli in the U.S. Demo'd for two days before asking about price. Got credit for the demo days, a small discount on the skis, plus 20% off Look bindings because I didn't want the demo bindings. I'm planning on keeping the Stormriders for a long time.

My Stormriders on the left, Lift 4 and the Bavarian in the background
IMG_0915.jpg

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well after this trip, my gear list *NEEDS* (not wants people dammit!!) just got a LOT longer! New gloves for sure... I'm actually buying those tonight. New lens, and I never got that second pair of compression tights. And now I'm wondering about new skis. (sigh) Not that I don't love my two pair, but the La Ninas ARE a little harder to turn with my wonky knees. Well except of course in the powder where they belong, but let's face it - it's impractical to think that I'll be in deep powder every second of every ski day, especially when skiing in a group. They were still fantastic and super fun and confidence-inspiring, but they wore me out. So, I'm wondering if maybe I went somewhere in between the two I have now, if it would be a better fit for a OSQ and easier on the knees. I will have to ponder this.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got myself a new jacket and pants, which is awesome because my body has not returned to pre-pregnancy shape as quickly as the last time around. Now at least i don't feel like a stuffed sausage sitting on the lift.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well after this trip, my gear list *NEEDS* (not wants people dammit!!) just got a LOT longer! New gloves for sure... I'm actually buying those tonight. New lens, and I never got that second pair of compression tights. And now I'm wondering about new skis. (sigh) Not that I don't love my two pair, but the La Ninas ARE a little harder to turn with my wonky knees. Well except of course in the powder where they belong, but let's face it - it's impractical to think that I'll be in deep powder every second of every ski day, especially when skiing in a group. They were still fantastic and super fun and confidence-inspiring, but they wore me out. So, I'm wondering if maybe I went somewhere in between the two I have now, if it would be a better fit for a OSQ and easier on the knees. I will have to ponder this.

What's the other size?

I really really really liked the DPS Zelda Foundation, which is a 106. Enough to buy it after I blew my knee out on it while demoing. But that might still be too wide? In which case, Santa Ana 100 maybe? I know, I know, everyone suggests that.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got myself a new jacket and pants, which is awesome because my body has not returned to pre-pregnancy shape as quickly as the last time around. Now at least i don't feel like a stuffed sausage sitting on the lift.

Uhoh. I won't recognize you anymore!

I know the stuffed sausage feeling. It's awful.

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Right now I have 98 & 113. (And an ancient 65 of which we don't speak anymore... haha) So... 106 would likely be about perfect. Dang pesky knees, always causing problems...

lisamamot

Angel Diva
When it snows it's a blizzard....skiers version of when it rains it pours?

Patagonia Powder Bowl shell pants in Horizon Blue (50% off) - love, love the color, wish they were a bit longer, but the slouchy fit allows for layering and they are much warmer than my current shell pants (which will be reserved for true spring skiing). These have all the bells and whistles - Recco, vents, GoreTex, and check off my "pack one pair of pants" when I travel check box.

Patagonia Powder Bowl shell jacket in Black (40% off) - great room for layering, long sleeves, plenty of pockets, and again all those bells and whistles. The fit is a tad wide since I have to cinch in the powder skirt all the way, and even then it is still a little looser than I am used to, but it is the best fitting shell I have ever tried on that is also a neutral color.

Giro Range helmet in Matte Turquoise (50% off). Great fit, great color, MIPS, and meshes with my goggles.

With all this color going on my family can no longer complain that they cannot find me on the mountain!

patagonia powder bowl horizon blue.jpg powder bowl jacket black.jpggiro-range-mips-helmet-matte-turquoise.jpg

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Love it!! Way to shop.

I was so excited about the color of the pants - I have the Patagonia Nano and Nano Air in purple from a couple years ago and they have a very similarly colored blue zipper; they look great together. The helmet is a men's - I like that it doesn't have sparkle/pattern and is a color I gravitate to...probably wasn't as big of a seller last year with the guys, but hey, my gain!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How does this happen? Oh, testing and demoing skis, that's how. 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88s are now mine, as well as a pair of Head Super Joys (75 under foot) which I haven't received yet, but will be using to work on my skills and releasing my edges better.
I am discovering the fun of narrower skis. :becky:

Powgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How does this happen? Oh, testing and demoing skis, that's how. 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88s are now mine, as well as a pair of Head Super Joys (75 under foot) which I haven't received yet, but will be using to work on my skills and releasing my edges better.

Me too...I am having a blast on my 80 underfoot skis...what happened to your Kenjas?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
You are getting the Super Joys? I loved the Great Joy (97 under foot) in Switzerland...I plowed through stuff I normally struggle with but did slide a bit when iced/hardpack.....The turning radius is 11.4 on the 153 so such a quick turner. But stiffer than the Santa Ana. Actually, i was more comfortable on the Great Joy as had some oomph to it. And I like that , as I'm a Samba fan.... currently icing my knee and appt with orthopedist on Mar 28... What did I do? maybe torn meniscus?????
Anyhow, enjoy your new skis...

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I have the Super Joys, 163. Very nice ski!
Enjoy.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Right now I have 98 & 113. (And an ancient 65 of which we don't speak anymore... haha) So... 106 would likely be about perfect. Dang pesky knees, always causing problems...

Those Zelda F106s ... so nice ... and the Foundation series is actually in line with "normal" ski prices, not typical DPS prices ...

I skied them last weekend in a combination of bulletproof base and several inches of fluff. I can't speak to float (that depends on weight and speed, anyway), but they were 100% reliable and fun.

newboots

Angel Diva
Just picked up a pair of Renoun Z-90s; Pivot 14s are ordered for them. Sold the Kastle FX85s.

Ooh! I'm so ridiculous - I have just barely learned to ski, but I read a lot of skiing forums. I want a pair of Renouns. I know that I will probably not even be able to tell the difference between them and some old straight skis you can find in your barn, but people who have skied them say such mouth-watering things!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna