• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

So who has new gear for 16/17?

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@COchick I have the 2Xu compression tights and absolutely love them!

https://www.2xu.com/us/women/compression/tights/

Bumping this one back... I'm about to pull the trigger... there are SO many options on this page! Is there a particular style you like? I've been toying with the idea of getting a 7/8 version thinking it might be better with ski boots. But honestly I have never had issues with my full length tights and boots before... Ahhhh choices!

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Perhaps. But I can't say I've ever noticed being colder wearing compression tights vs. standard capiline or wool type base-layer. I did an experiment last season wearing compression tights one day and standard bse layer another day - not to figure out warmth factor, just seeing if they actually helped my knees feel better. (they did) I don't recall being colder or warmer in one vs. the other - but then I almost always wear insulated pants now too, so there's that.

SwissBrit

Diva in Training
I finally got on my New Atomic Cloud 11's XT's I LOVE THEM. they rip.. fun in the bumps too!! Can't wait to take them to Okemo this week!

I tested these last weekend and they were incredible! I would have got them, but found a pair of last year's Völkl Alluras for $350 which was too tempting, and the guy at the sports shop seemed sure that I'd get on with them just as well. Bit nervous as they are 5cm longer than anything I've skied before, though 165cm of ski at 5'8" should be totally fine once I acclimatize. :smile:

I also picked up a hot pink mirrored pair of the Alpina Smash 2.0 and some teen's Spyder pants (which fit perfectly) in a TX Maxx back in London!

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm with @bounceswoosh Compression, imho, is counterintuitive to warmth because of its restriction of blood flow.
Compression clothing increases blood flow, like the socks worn by people who have circulatory issues and clotting diseases. They may be less warm depending on their content as lycra and spandex tend to hold water, but certainly not to the degree of cotton though.

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
Compression clothing increases blood flow, like the socks worn by people who have circulatory issues and clotting diseases. They may be less warm depending on their content as lycra and spandex tend to hold water, but certainly not to the degree of cotton though.
maybe that's it, I'm cold because of microscopic particles of sweat trapped in the fabric? Well now, that makes perfect sense. Never really thought about it before, I assumed it was circulation because of my Raynaud's getting worse, but if it is chronically cooling me with the moisture...hmmm...that would also explain it. rapidly cooling the better circulating blood? Because I'm definitely colder and having more attacks when wearing it, and taking away the tight fitting clothes almost always fixes it. Interesting.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
maybe that's it, I'm cold because of microscopic particles of sweat trapped in the fabric? Well now, that makes perfect sense. Never really thought about it before, I assumed it was circulation because of my Raynaud's getting worse, but if it is chronically cooling me with the moisture...hmmm...that would also explain it. rapidly cooling the better circulating blood? Because I'm definitely colder and having more attacks when wearing it, and taking away the tight fitting clothes almost always fixes it. Interesting.

I have a pair of the CWX tights and find I am actually as warm, possibly warmer, in those than in my Smartwool mid weights. The compression takes some getting used to, but I feel like my muscles feel better at the end of a long day day too.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
ooo I have been eyeing this one! Worth the price? I ended up getting the Patagonia one in the fall for 40% off and have worn it more than I thought I would, esp on ski vacations.

The Smartwool quilted skirts are great quality and super cute, but also super short! On me (5'9") it provides no coverage for what I would be wanting to cover! My sister is 5'3" and it works for her though.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oops, I did it again ... everybody needs a seven ski quiver, right?

Pretty much the first cogent non-swear out of my mouth after I blew out my knee were to @SnowHot , who was right there. "I get first dibs on these skis." I had been demoing the DPS Zelda F106. I hadn't skied in a month, but I felt incredibly confident skiing that day - capable of skiing much more aggressively than I usually would. So either a month of indolence had miraculously made me a better skier, or these skis were themselves magical. Okay, I flew too close to the sun and my feathers melted right off. I've been wondering if it could possibly be something about the ski. But no. As I told snowhot recently, "I was skiing well, but not wisely."

I'd pretty much given up on buying the skis when she contacted me last week. Did I still want the Zeldas? Hmmmm.

It's hard to justify a 106 when you already have the Santa Ana (100) and the La Nina (113). Also when your knee is recovering so that wide skis aren't recommended, and you don't really know how long that will last. When I skied my Santa Anas a few weeks ago in significant fluff on top of scrape, they felt planky and hard to turn. Not at all like I remembered them. That made me think that even a 100mm was off limits this season. But then, last weekend, my instructor finally got me to flex again and stop babying that knee. And yesterday, in similar conditions, I took a chance on those skis again. Totally different story. With a knee that flexes, all of a sudden the world was my oyster. The Santa Anas were fun and effortless again.

So, yeah. Now that I've skied the Santa Ana successfully, I'm more confident that my knee will eventually be fine with the Zelda. But now that I've skied the Santa Ana successfully, I want to keep them in my downhill quiver, at least this season while my knee is still recovering. I'd been thinking I could "justify" the Zelda by making the Santa Ana my touring ski. But really. Justify to whom? Now that I have an explicit ski budget, my husband no longer cares how many skis I own.

So, long story short, I am getting the exact Zelda that I skied last May, which I am sort of thinking of as the hair of the dog that bit me, which is very much unfair to this wonderful ski. But in addition to remembering how much I loved it when I skied it, I also frankly want to prove to myself that it's not the boss of me. I can ski that sucker. Which, yeah, it's laughable, because the ski, it is not meant to be a tricky ski. Not at all. But I think given my circumstances, it's understandable.

Also, it is a DPS, and I've wanted a DPS in my quiver for a while now.

Despite what DH suggests, I will not adorn the Zeldas with a picture of an ACL with a big red bar drawn across it! :tongue:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
The Smartwool quilted skirts are great quality and super cute, but also super short! On me (5'9") it provides no coverage for what I would be wanting to cover! My sister is 5'3" and it works for her though.
I'm 5'1 and got the pink printed one from REI in xs at a great price.. Didn't ski today as may have pulled back muscle yesterday at heavenly . Or torn.. Anyhow walked around w tights and smart wool skirt. It's short on me!

lisamamot

Angel Diva
jack wolfskin skirt.jpg

For any taller ladies looking for a quilted skirt, I just got this from Amazon - Jack Wolfskin Iceguard skirt. Has a size zipper, pockets, and on my 5'9" frame it hits only an inch or two above my knees.

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oops, I did it again ... everybody needs a seven ski quiver, right?

Pretty much the first cogent non-swear out of my mouth after I blew out my knee were to @SnowHot , who was right there. "I get first dibs on these skis." I had been demoing the DPS Zelda F106. I hadn't skied in a month, but I felt incredibly confident skiing that day - capable of skiing much more aggressively than I usually would. So either a month of indolence had miraculously made me a better skier, or these skis were themselves magical. Okay, I flew too close to the sun and my feathers melted right off. I've been wondering if it could possibly be something about the ski. But no. As I told snowhot recently, "I was skiing well, but not wisely."

I'd pretty much given up on buying the skis when she contacted me last week. Did I still want the Zeldas? Hmmmm.

It's hard to justify a 106 when you already have the Santa Ana (100) and the La Nina (113).

Was in a backcountry shop getting my first touring boots fitted simultaneously eyeing the Zeldas while I liners were cooking when you posted this! I think it's a sign...

Did you go for the Pure3 or the Tour1 construction? Woman in the shop said that the Tour1 is lighter but the Pure3 will last longer. The shop I was in had both and I think I can demo both. What bindings are you going to use?

I don't think there is anything wrong with filling in a between the 100 Santa Anas and 113 La Ninas. I did just that a few weeks go, getting the Black Crows Atris Birdie (107) to fill in between my TSTs (101) and Rockettes (115). Black Crows currently on their way from the UK cause I couldn't find my size in the US. Had the Zeldas on my list too, but couldn't find a convenient demo, but they are getting such good reviews...maybe there is room for one more. And samesies for me, I've always wanted a DPS ski in the quiver...

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Was in a backcountry shop getting my first touring boots fitted simultaneously eyeing the Zeldas while I liners were cooking when you posted this! I think it's a sign...

Did you go for the Pure3 or the Tour1 construction? Woman in the shop said that the Tour1 is lighter but the Pure3 will last longer. The shop I was in had both and I think I can demo both. What bindings are you going to use?

I don't think there is anything wrong with filling in a between the 100 Santa Anas and 113 La Ninas. I did just that a few weeks go, getting the Black Crows Atris Birdie (107) to fill in between my TSTs (101) and Rockettes (115). Black Crows currently on their way from the UK cause I couldn't find my size in the US. Had the Zeldas on my list too, but couldn't find a convenient demo, but they are getting such good reviews...maybe there is room for one more. And samesies for me, I've always wanted a DPS ski in the quiver...
Saw those at demo shop in Tahoe.. also wanted to try Faction

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Actually neither. It's the Foundation. Cheaper than the Pure3 and more inbounds-appropriate than the Tour1. I'm going to keep the Attack demo bindings they already had - it's cheapest that way, and I liked them fine at the time.

SwissBrit

Diva in Training
I tested these last weekend and they were incredible! I would have got them, but found a pair of last year's Völkl Alluras for $350 which was too tempting, and the guy at the sports shop seemed sure that I'd get on with them just as well.

+ I was planning to get new boots at the end of this season, but found Atomic Hawx Ultra 90s for $160 today :cool:

Just in time for Zermatt and the Matterhorn ski safari this weekend...

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
+ I was planning to get new boots at the end of this season, but found Atomic Hawx Ultra 90s for $160 today :cool:

Wow. Deal --- :clap:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva

Now that sounds fun!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I need to check that everything is open, and that I don't get stranded in Italy before the lifts close, but here is the routing...

https://www.matterhornparadise.ch/pdf/ski-safari/matterhorn-ski-safari_12500.pdf

And map... https://www.matterhornparadise.ch/e...winter?affiliate=1&ref=https://www.zermatt.ch

Very excited!
You'll have to tell us about it. I skied in Zermatt in 2003 and loved it! Also skied in Cervinia and other italian resorts nearby in 2010. Leaving Sunday for Europe and will ski Kitzbuehl, Austria and the Portes du Soleil(Switzerland and France).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna