• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing in Colorado: Rent skis there? Take mine?

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Abbi,
I have an extra sport tube that I would sell, only problem is my SO wrote his name and address on it in magic marker! Does anyone have a solution for erasing that. It is a double, so wider skis fit (even my water ski fits!) as well as a ton of other stuff. Make me an offer if you're interested.

Thanks, Mary! I just picked one up, open container/used, on Amazon.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Of course, if Copper doesn't get snow, I'm canceling this trip. Only 47 of 155 trails open right now. I can stay in VT and save a stack of cash! I'm still scheduled for Utah in March.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Let us know what you decide.

We've already cancelled a November and a December trip.

Our next trip is scheduled for February. I sure hope conditions are decent by then.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When in Jan. are you coming? What type of terrain do you usually ski? I'm asking because I ski Copper and know the mountain pretty well. I've also skied in the east and prefer western skiing. We are getting snow, granted it's not huge dumps but we don't have the freezing/thawing/ rain that is common in eastern resorts. Conditions can change quickly. Last year at lot of terrain was closed at the beginning of Dec. Two weeks later most of the mountain was open. This weekend Copper got 5", 5" and 9" last night. More snow in the forecast.

Lifts that are open service terrain that most people ski. Runs that are not open are natural snow. That means the black/double black terrain and bowls are not open. If that's what you're looking for then I'd say stay home.

Skiing here is an entirely different experience than skiing in the east. The runs are wide and open. Copper doesn't groom as much as other resorts in Summit so their snow gets less packed out and icy. Many times when I've said to easterners how much we need snow they look at me surprised. They tell me our conditions are great compared to what they ski.

You may not get to explore the entire mountain but that'll give you an excuse to come back when the mountain is completely open.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When in Jan. are you coming? What type of terrain do you usually ski? I'm asking because I ski Copper and know the mountain pretty well. I've also skied in the east and prefer western skiing. We are getting snow, granted it's not huge dumps but we don't have the freezing/thawing/ rain that is common in eastern resorts. Conditions can change quickly. Last year at lot of terrain was closed at the beginning of Dec. Two weeks later most of the mountain was open. This weekend Copper got 5", 5" and 9" last night. More snow in the forecast.

Lifts that are open service terrain that most people ski. Runs that are not open are natural snow. That means the black/double black terrain and bowls are not open. If that's what you're looking for then I'd say stay home.

Skiing here is an entirely different experience than skiing in the east. The runs are wide and open. Copper doesn't groom as much as other resorts in Summit so their snow gets less packed out and icy. Many times when I've said to easterners how much we need snow they look at me surprised. They tell me our conditions are great compared to what they ski.

You may not get to explore the entire mountain but that'll give you an excuse to come back when the mountain is completely open.

Maybe, but it's been snowing LOTS in New England! I'm due to fly on January 15, but I have to pull the plug on reservations earlier. I'll see. Since it's just me, I tend to wait for the optimum conditions (and I'm spending a stupid amount to optimize my new to me sailboat). And Utah to see a friend there is scheduled. I missed going west last year after catching the flu. I didn't get my breathing back enough to risk altitude. I live at about 15 feet about sea level!

I'm booked to stay in Frisco so I could run to Copper, Winter Park or Eldora. Who knows!

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How long will you be here? My friends stay in Frisco, close to the bus stop and take the bus to Copper. Winter Park and Eldora are a good drive from Frisco. Good places to ski on the way up or way back.

I may or may not be up that week. I have a dr's appointment on the 16th. Depends on how my finger/shoulder is doing by then and how much more PT I'll need on them.

When I lived in Ohio I would hope for optimal conditions. Rarely happened but I had a good time anyway.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maybe, but it's been snowing LOTS in New England! I'm due to fly on January 15, but I have to pull the plug on reservations earlier. I'll see. Since it's just me, I tend to wait for the optimum conditions (and I'm spending a stupid amount to optimize my new to me sailboat). And Utah to see a friend there is scheduled. I missed going west last year after catching the flu. I didn't get my breathing back enough to risk altitude. I live at about 15 feet about sea level!

I'm booked to stay in Frisco so I could run to Copper, Winter Park or Eldora. Who knows!

another cool ski are is ski Cooper the 10th Mt trained there, family ski area, not busy! https://skicooper.com/

I'm also heading west in a couple weeks so hoping the weather systems start stacking up.. but any day in the Mt's is fun even if it's not all open.. Here's to more snow!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
another cool ski are is ski Cooper the 10th Mt trained there, family ski area, not busy! https://skicooper.com/

I'm also heading west in a couple weeks so hoping the weather systems start stacking up.. but any day in the Mt's is fun even if it's not all open.. Here's to more snow!

Sounds pretty cool! Not on my Maxx Pass so I won't be skiing there but the town sounds like fun.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just snagged a Sportube 1 on Amazon for $65. It was in an open container and shows scuffs .... as if I expect to see anything else after it gets tossed around by baggage handling! Thank you, marzNC for the suggestion to buy one!

Sportube just arrived. Looks impressive, five year warranty. It was not scuffed, just dirty. That's simple enough. Thank you, Amazon!

Jilly

Staff member
I've used mine on 5 trips and no problems except the first one. TSA (in Denver) didn't know how to put it back together and did a little damage to my skis. It was fixable.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've used mine on 5 trips and no problems except the first one. TSA (in Denver) didn't know how to put it back together and did a little damage to my skis. It was fixable.

I'm leaving the TSA label on it in hopes they might read the 'how to' on it!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Last trip from revelstoke some where between Kelowna and Albany NY they didn't put the pin back. (delta)
I'm tying a ribbon from the pin to the handle so it will at least hopefully remind them!!
thanks @marzNC for that idea!

I also did buy a spare pin and spare rubber bands for holding the brakes..

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Last trip from revelstoke some where between Kelowna and Albany NY they didn't put the pin back. (delta)
I'm tying a ribbon from the pin to the handle so it will at least hopefully remind them!!

Is that what those big rubber bands are for?

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Is that what those big rubber bands are for?

yes!! put the ski on the floor, step on the binding to raise up the brake arms. wrap the rubber band from one brake over the heel piece to the other side of the break. here's a speed video how to!

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

If you put a zip tie on they will cut it off and replace it as they have replacement zip ties. I haven't had a problem in eight or so trips to Denver and five or so trips to the Northeast but I've gotten paranoid after reading about the problems.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I have a simple cord that is a loop loose enough to maneuver the pin. Have had the same set up for 4-5 years. Easier for me too because the pin can't get lost. Helps to have at least a couple stickers to make it quicker to identify at baggage claim. I also have the clip-on pull strap, which I take off when checking in. Being short, makes it much easier. Possible to come up with a DIY version.

I carry an extra pin in my backpack to be on the safe side. I also got extra rubber bands that I use to hold brakes for waxing. Those bands are quite strong and handle being frozen well. Sometimes my Sportube ends up in my ski buddy's ski box when he picks me up at the airport.

Transpack red red 2016.jpg

If anyone is wondering, the black rolling suitcase is a Transpack boot bag. I take that and the Transpack Sidekick backpack with me as carry-on. The reason I used a small suitcase for this particular trip was to minimize the luggage for the driving because we had three people with ski gear, two Sportubes, and luggage for the first part of the trip. Since I only brought one pair of skis, bulky stuff like snow boots and my small day pack went in the Sportube.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga