• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing and modern technology

Belgiangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Recently I've come across two super cool ski-related products that got my inner geek excited.

One is called Ski Mojo and is a sort of exoskeleton that supposedly makes skiing a lot easier on the legs and knees. It's not cheap (480 pounds on the UK website) but the reviews I've read so far are positive. Some do mention it's a hassle to put it on, guess that's to be expected if you've seen the pictures. I know there's quite a few Diva's who've had knee injuries/surgeries, might be something to look into! Here's the UK website: Ski Mojo

The second one is the Carv digital ski instructor and tracker. A belgian newspaper published a test article this weekend and they were wildly positive about it. It isn't suited for absolute beginners, but anyone from an intermediate to expert skier could benefit from Carv (according to the article). It knows different drills and gives live feedback through wireless earplugs. They don't just register speed but also stuff like edge angle, your position on the ski (balanced or in the back seat) and it even corrected an A-stance during the test. That's pretty impressive to me and I would really like to try this out but once again, it comes with a decent price tag...
Here's the official website: Carv

I love discovering new products and technologies that might make skiing even more enjoyable! Would you try out one of these products? Any other promising inventions you'd like to share?

Reactions: RJ*

marzNC

Angel Diva
I've seen Ski Mojo mentioned before. The system I've seen in action in person that actively supports wonky knees is CADS, which was invented in Colorado. I know an older ski instructor who has been using CADS for quite a while. Definitely got the impression that he can continue skiing more because of the help CADS provides. He's also an instructor at a small mountain in the northeast, and spends a lot of time with adaptive skiers.

2014 review of CADS and Ski-Mojo
https://www.thegearcaster.com/2014/02/ski-mojo-power-assisted-skiing.html

2014 Senior Skiing interview with CADS inventor
https://www.seniorsskiing.com/cads-add-years-skiing/

marzNC

Angel Diva
The second one is the Carv digital ski instructor and tracker. A belgian newspaper published a test article this weekend and they were wildly positive about it. It isn't suited for absolute beginners, but anyone from an intermediate to expert skier could benefit from Carv (according to the article). It knows different drills and gives live feedback through wireless earplugs. They don't just register speed but also stuff like edge angle, your position on the ski (balanced or in the back seat) and it even corrected an A-stance during the test. That's pretty impressive to me and I would really like to try this out but once again, it comes with a decent price tag...
Here's the official website: Carv
I remember the Carv video. Definitely a niche product for people who like technology in general and don't mind fussing with something that goes inside ski boots. I have no doubt it can help on long groomers found in the Alps. Would not be useful on my home mountain where a long run takes an intermediate under 5 min to finish and under 3 min for an advanced skier.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Sometimes I use the Ski Tracks app -- when I remember to turn it on, which is hardly ever. I like getting feedback on the number of runs, vertical, speed, and so on. But that's about as high tech as I get, and it's not new.

Jilly

Staff member
Not to rain on the tech parade, but when I'm skiing, I'm trying to get away from the tech world. But I do carry my phone. I need to hear it ring through my coat. I'm not wearing an ear piece. And I hate music when I'm skiing too. I'm old, I know it.

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used the ski tracks app last season. It was neat but sometimes annoying to fuss with. I have tried music a couple times. I like listening to my skis and my surroundings. I get alot of technique feedback through sound along with the other senses. Yesterday I almost got takem out by a snowboarder. If I didnt hear them coming i might have gotten hit. I moved within time before danger.
I do keep my phone with. I have taken pictures of neat things. I saw a rainbow yesterday

kiki

Angel Diva
Not to rain on the tech parade, but when I'm skiing, I'm trying to get away from the tech world. But I do carry my phone. I need to hear it ring through my coat. I'm not wearing an ear piece. And I hate music when I'm skiing too. I'm old, I know it.
I'm with @Jilly on this except i keep my phone ring turned off.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm with @Jilly on this except i keep my phone ring turned off.

I third that! I like to hear the birds, when they’re there. I hear the sound of the snow under my skis, or the ice depending. And occasionally I hear someone out of control coming flying at me and can get out of the way!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I saw a guy skiing while talking on the phone yesterday. Actually, it was speaker phone. At that point I wondered about who might be texting while skiing. One free hand is necessary for talking on the phone if you aren't using those earbud thingies. Two hands free for texting.

The more technology in use, the less attention to what the skis are doing on the snow and how the body is causing that ski-snow interaction. IMO.

Belgiangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I remember the Carv video. Definitely a niche product for people who like technology in general and don't mind fussing with something that goes inside ski boots. I have no doubt it can help on long groomers found in the Alps.
That.is.so.enabling. :tongue:

@liquidfeet texting or calling while skiing sounds like a bad idea, no matter what. Perfect way to crash and/or lose your phone... I don't even like to pull out my phone on a chairlift because I'm afraid I might drop it.

I keep my phone on me while skiing with the phone ring turned off too and I've never skied with music on, although I have friends who put in their earbuds occasionally. Very solid point that it's useful to hear what goes on around you!

Something we did use last winter was a GPS tracking app to find each other on the mountain. We went skiing with a group of 24 people, it was so convenient to see in an instance who's skiing where and with who instead of calling and texting all the time.

The thing that appeals most to me with this app, is the freedom to do some drills and get feedback whenever and wherever it suits you. Doesn't matter if it's 30min or a full day.

Belgiangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've seen Ski Mojo mentioned before. The system I've seen in action in person that actively supports wonky knees is CADS, which was invented in Colorado. I know an older ski instructor who has been using CADS for quite a while. Definitely got the impression that he can continue skiing more because of the help CADS provides. He's also an instructor at a small mountain in the northeast, and spends a lot of time with adaptive skiers.

2014 review of CADS and Ski-Mojo
https://www.thegearcaster.com/2014/02/ski-mojo-power-assisted-skiing.html

2014 Senior Skiing interview with CADS inventor
https://www.seniorsskiing.com/cads-add-years-skiing/

I'm surprised to learn they've been in business for quite some years! I'd get this for my dad if it weren't so expensive. He absolutely loved skiing but after suffering from a torn meniscus, ACL and PCL in both knees (twice on one side), having a hip and a knee replaced and another knee due for replacement he's too scared to ski. Sounds pretty bad put that way :tongue: However he's still a very active person who likes to walk, bike, etc.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The thing that appeals most to me with this app, is the freedom to do some drills and get feedback whenever and wherever it suits you. Doesn't matter if it's 30min or a full day.
What I ended up doing instead was spending some money and time on lessons with very experienced instructors. After a couple seasons, about 4-5 lessons, I collected more than enough drills that I do whenever I feel like it. The key is that because I learned then with an instructor watching and correcting, I can tell when I'm doing the drill correctly. Note that some of the lessons were group lessons and some were semi-private lessons with a friend of similar ability level. Some lessons were part of a multi-day or multi-week program. In short, there were ways to keep the costs reasonable. It was the commitment to practice time over the years that was more critical.

That said, if I lived near a big mountain with long trails and was skiing solo midweek when there is little need to look out for other people on the slopes, Carv would be fun to play with. But then I'm a techie from way back.

At the same time, I don't bother to use my iPhone for apps like Ski Tracks or EpicMix. Rarely set up a ski resort's app because I'd rather look at a paper trail map, or better yet a big trailside map. Still carry a small digital camera for most pictures instead of using the iPhone. Don't use earbuds or headphones except on long flights. YMMV.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Occurred to me that Ski Mojo and CADS are very different from electronic aids that depend on batteries to work. Getting support for wonky knees in order to be able to ski more, or at all, is more like the assorted ways that Adaptive programs help folks. Outrigger poles, sit skies being the most common.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The training aid that I found most useful after knee rehab is the SkiA Sweetspot, which are for training balance while in ski boots. Like all training aids, some people think it's useful and some people think it's counter-productive or too much trouble.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I love discovering new products and technologies that might make skiing even more enjoyable! Would you try out one of these products? Any other promising inventions you'd like to share?
Have you read much about the Skiers Edge? Been around for a while but they keep tweaking the hardware.

Belgiangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What I ended up doing instead was spending some money and time on lessons with very experienced instructors. After a couple seasons, about 4-5 lessons, I collected more than enough drills that I do whenever I feel like it. The key is that because I learned then with an instructor watching and correcting, I can tell when I'm doing the drill correctly. Note that some of the lessons were group lessons and some were semi-private lessons with a friend of similar ability level. Some lessons were part of a multi-day or multi-week program. In short, there were ways to keep the costs reasonable. It was the commitment to practice time over the years that was more critical.

That said, if I lived near a big mountain with long trails and was skiing solo midweek when there is little need to look out for other people on the slopes, Carv would be fun to play with. But then I'm a techie from way back.

I'm not sure but I feel like lessons are more expensive over here. I checked prices in Austria, France (ESF) and Italy. A half-day private lesson costs 170 euro in Les Arcs, 196 euro in Les Menuires (going to both resorts this winter). I can hardly afford multiple classes at that price point. Still have to check for group lessons. I asked around with my friends to see if anyone would be interested to split a private lesson, but no takers so far.

La Bresse in the Vosges range in France is the closest real ski station to where I live. It's a 4,5hr drive but I could make it there a few weekends in a row. However the only multi-week classes they have are aimed at beginners... The terrain is also pretty mellow so doesn't sound like a good option either.

Belgiangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh even worse, we'll be in Les Menuires during New Year's so that's high season. It would be 290 euro for a half-day private lesson. :frown:

Belgiangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have you read much about the Skiers Edge? Been around for a while but they keep tweaking the hardware.
Interesting, I'd never heard of them before. I bet this really helps a lot for those who have the time and discipline to use it regularly. Can't seem to find a price on their website... I probably don't want to know :becky:

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm not sure but I feel like lessons are more expensive over here. I checked prices in Austria, France (ESF) and Italy. A half-day private lesson costs 170 euro in Les Arcs, 196 euro in Les Menuires (going to both resorts this winter). I can hardly afford multiple classes at that price point. Still have to check for group lessons. I asked around with my friends to see if anyone would be interested to split a private lesson, but no takers so far.
There is a wide range of prices for lessons in N. America. Smaller mountains tend to be less expensive than destination resorts such as Snowbird, JH, Big Sky, etc. Not uncommon for a private lesson at a destination resort to be $300-400 for 3-4 hr lesson. Intermediates can find reasonable group lessons with a little research. More research is needed for advanced skiers. I know the instructor and ski school system is quite different in Europe.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Interesting, I'd never heard of them before. I bet this really helps a lot for those who have the time and discipline to use it regularly. Can't seem to find a price on their website... I probably don't want to know :becky:
Yep, the prices for a new Skiers Edge training machine is pretty steep. Only reason I have one is that I got a deal on an old model from the original owner for under $100.

Here are a few old threads about the Skiers Edge. Don't hear about it as much these days but I know there are Divas who have one and use it, especially for pre-season conditioning.

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/skiers-edge-on-sale-thoughts.14626/

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/skiers-edge-sale-ends-6-16-input-wanted.20880/

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/skiers-edge-machine.17910/

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna