• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski pants help please :)

Nikole

Certified Ski Diva
I was in your position last year, trying to buy things on a budget. If you order online, remember that if it doesn't fit, you can return it. You have to try on your outer layers with inner layers, to see if you can move well. Like through the shoulders!

The things I found were necessities: armpit zippers, an interior pocket for the phone (so it doesn't get too cold), an easily accessible zippered pocket for a few $, credit card, and chapstick, and vented legs in my (insulated) pants. I ski in Vermont, so I don't know how many/what kinds of layers you'll want underneath, but if you get cold easily you'll want plenty of room inside your outerwear.

I LOVE my wool half-zips. I found them all on sierratradingpost.com or REI garage. I got my jacket (last season's TNF Brigantine) at Marshall's, after returning an Arc'teryx from STP that just wouldn't fit over my belly. I am much happier with wool inner layers than the few synthetic ones I have. It's true about the smell - wool just doesn't stink like synthetic and you WILL sweat. You will sweat on the same days that you're cold, too.

I use chemical hand warmers inside of mittens, not gloves. Can you tell I have cold hands? :-) I bought really warm gloves, but you can't put hand warmers where your fingers need them, and right away I had to buy mittens, to use instead.

Keep accessories in mind when you budget (or do what the rest of us do, pretend we didn't just spend all that money on gear!). You'll be needing a helmet, goggles, hand warmers, toe warmers, face protection, maybe a beanie or skullcap for under your helmet, a neck gaiter (scarves can get caught on the lift) . . . it goes on and on! Welcome! You might need a second mortgage, but it's worth it!

Yes there really is SOO much you have to buy right at the start! I've already gotten goggles and a neck warmer. Planning to get the helmet this weekend and maybe grab a hat while i'm at it :smile:

I'll definitely take some of your necessities into consideration! and I never thought about checking out marshall's and maybe even TJmaxx. I'll have to make a trip :smile: thank you!

Nikole

Certified Ski Diva
@Nikole, I have a lot of stuff that I'm looking to sell this winter, too. My stuff is always in very good shape. I was going to either list it on KSL or sell it at 2nd Tracks. Mostly size small jackets and medium pants. Let me know if you want to see any of it.

That's not a bad idea! Maybe once the season starts and I don't like the jacket I already have and haven't found anything else I'll hit you up :smile: if you haven't already sold things of course! What kind of jackets do you have? i'm very curious to have it on the back of my mind!

newboots

Angel Diva
I'll definitely take some of your necessities into consideration! and I never thought about checking out marshall's and maybe even TJmaxx. I'll have to make a trip :smile: thank you!

My fav stores!

It had never occurred to me that Marshall's might have such things. But one weekend, they clearly got a big shipment and it was going like hotcakes. I happened to wander in there, on the hunt for bargains, and there was a huge rack of jackets and a small rack of ski pants (limited selection on the pants - like 2 kinds). You might try asking the staff when that happens. My guess is that it was in October or November last year.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'll definitely check these places out! I am VERY new to skiing. We did get the Learn to Earn! I had nooo idea it even sold out so I am so so happy right now that we went for it and got those passes! We are even thinking if we like it, that next year we will do the "Learn, Earn, and Return" pass. I'm so excited to get some lessons and not just have to figure things out on my own hahaha.

I'm almost leaning towards the Dakine Gore-tex pants I listed in the links. They're 40g insulation and of course the 28k waterproofing. They're on super sale right now at $150 originally $280. Are you familiar with that brand?

That would be sooo cool if we were to see each other there haha! Scheduling starts Nov 1st I believe. I'm probably going to schedule all of our classes in a row so we won't forget things and can get right out there and making attempts lol.
That's fantastic that you got into the Learn and Earn. Lessons are SUCH a good idea. Not a bad idea at all to take the lessons in a row. Make them for early in the week if you are able to. It's much quieter and you'll have a better chance of having very few, if any other people in your lesson.

Dakine is a great brand.

That's not a bad idea! Maybe once the season starts and I don't like the jacket I already have and haven't found anything else I'll hit you up :smile: if you haven't already sold things of course! What kind of jackets do you have? i'm very curious to have it on the back of my mind!

Hmm, a Marmot jacket (in my avatar,) a Mountain Hardwear jacket in blue multi-color, and one other jacket that I can't recall what brand it is.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Also do you have a Patagonia outlet nearby? Or go to their website and click on web specials... Very good quality at great prices.
Also if there is a brand you like, google it and you may find at evo.com or level 9 or powder 7 for a reduced price. I got a $750 Mountain Force jacket at Sierra Trading Post for $159.....also Kjus pants at Startingate.net for $200 reg price $550.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
and Moosejaw (think a division of backcountry) and REI garage......don't get me started. It's rare to pay full price for an item..... even bought an awesome skirt (puffy=ish) from True North at Northstar.... Just ask @ snow hot.... great sales.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Also do you have a Patagonia outlet nearby? Or go to their website and click on web specials... Very good quality at great prices.
Also if there is a brand you like, google it and you may find at evo.com or level 9 or powder 7 for a reduced price. I got a $750 Mountain Force jacket at Sierra Trading Post for $159.....also Kjus pants at Startingate.net for $200 reg price $550.
There is a Patagonia outlet in SLC.

What I like to do in consignment shops is to try on jackets for size. Often a wider selection of brands than a store like REI or even a destination resort ski shop that only carries 3-4 major brands. Patagonia went off my list when they lengthened the sleeves for the smaller sizes.

marzNC

Angel Diva
No I haven't been there but I am definitely going to check it out! THANK YOU! I'm thinking a shell and some layers would be okay for me too :smile: the Gore-Tex pants I listed up there are now even more on sale so i'm wondering if I should just go for it even with not being able to find reviews lol. It seems like a legit brand and all.
Any Gore-Tex pants usually work well for any brand. The question for some people is whether a more breathable tech fabric is better. That's the trade off with the waterproof tech fabrics like Gore-Tex.

The issue for ski pants from a major brand is fit more than waterproof/breathability comparisons.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
https://www.evo.com/shell-pants/orage-clara-womens 20k waterproofing. Also can't find reviews on these.

The question for some people is whether a more breathable tech fabric is better. That's the trade off with the waterproof tech fabrics like Gore-Tex.The issue for ski pants from a major brand is fit more than waterproof/breathability comparisons.

I can vouch for the Orage Clara pants, DD's team uniform included these pants for the last two years and she just bought another pair in blue. They are very waterproof and she used the lightly insulated version year round (thigh zip). The fabric is SOFT and has a bit of stretch. The insulated version and a pair of soft shell pants is what she will be using this year.

I am moving away from Gortex. I truly believe there are much better technical fabrics available that have more stretch, breathability and less crinkle/noise. Polartech, Event, and some of the other brand's own DRW are much nicer than Gortex. I don't need some stiff noisy crinkly fabric for resort skiing, even when it has been dumping.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can vouch for the Orage Clara pants, DD's team uniform included these pants for the last two years and she just bought another pair in blue. They are very waterproof and she used the lightly insulated version year round (thigh zip). The fabric is SOFT and has a bit of stretch. The insulated version and a pair of soft shell pants is what she will be using this year.

I am moving away from Gortex. I truly believe there are much better technical fabrics available that have more stretch, breathability and less crinkle/noise. Polartech, Event, and some of the other brand's own DRW are much nicer than Gortex. I don't need some stiff noisy crinkly fabric for resort skiing, even when it has been dumping.

DWR isn't the same as Gore Tex. Gore Tex comes in a range of qualities. I agree there are some other great waterproof, breathable fabrics these days, but you want to be comparing apples to apples.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
DWR isn't the same as Gore Tex. Gore Tex comes in a range of qualities. I agree there are some other great waterproof, breathable fabrics these days, but you want to be comparing apples to apples.

Very true, as you say different qualities of Gortex. My powder/storm days jacket 20/20 mystery fabric is far more water proof and breathable then my 2L Gortex shell pants.... just wanted the OP to know that just b/c one of the pants she was looking at was Gortex, there may be other fabrics with similar water proof / breathability.

In fact, from my experience with DD in the Orage pant and me in my 2L Gortex shell is that the Orage is more water proof.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another point is that DWR and waterproof fabrics are not the same. If water isn't beading on the surface, it's time for a DWR treatment.

(Do I fully understand the point, then, of waterproof fabrics? I honestly don't, but I believe those who know better.)

newboots

Angel Diva
I "passed through" TJ Maxx today - outerwear was there! Good prices. I didn't see any ski pants, but I'm not familiar with this particular store. It was not a huge selection, but as I said, the prices were good.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Another point is that DWR and waterproof fabrics are not the same. If water isn't beading on the surface, it's time for a DWR treatment.

(Do I fully understand the point, then, of waterproof fabrics? I honestly don't, but I believe those who know better.)
Think @geargrrl has explained the differences somewhere on this forum.

Nikole

Certified Ski Diva

Evo is the site I have mostly been looking at, I love it! That and sierra trading post online. I wish there was one around me :(

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna