• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski Divas' Other interests

abc

Banned
Lynn said:
New Paltz? I have heard its a mecca.

You heard? Jeez, even as a non-climber, I know about "The Gunks".

OK, I bike and x-c ski Mohank. Not a day I was up there that I don't see some human spiders on those walls. ;)

abc

Banned
Other interest? Too many to have time for each...

Yesterday, I kayaked the Ten Mile river in the NY/CT border. It's a class II river. Lots of fun, minimal danger. One capsize (not me), quickly rescued.

Next weekend, I plan to be skiing in Killington. But I'm contemplating squeezing a run of the Miller in VT (the class II section).

The weekend following that, I'll be kayaking the Bronx River. Flat water, should be interesting. So no more skiing.

In the mean time, I bike to work. I work for a progressive company that provides indoor, locked bike storage. Nice facility.

I hike occasionally. These days, it's usually only a couple weekends in the fall. That's when I bring along my "big gun" of Nikon D80 to try to capture those brilliant colors.

What else? The culture front, opera, Broadway shows, musuems occasionally, movies like everyone else. EATING! Yeah!:smile:

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
abc said:
You heard? Jeez, even as a non-climber, I know about "The Gunks".

OK, I bike and x-c ski Mohank. Not a day I was up there that I don't see some human spiders on those walls. ;)

You'd be surprised at how many non-climbers aren't aware of climbers or climbing culture. I have a feeling the waves of dirtbag climbers that take over the area in spring summer and fall tend to just get lumped in with the college students from SUNY.

It always amazes me (as a climber) that non-climbers aren't aware that not only is The Gunks one of the most world-class areas to climb on the East Coast, but that it is, historically, one of the most important in the development of modern climbing, as well.

Pretty interesting stuff! I will probably be heading up there in two weeks to get myself back in climbing mode, if any other skiiers-cum-climbers (or non-climbers that can put up with a dinnertime full of spray.... err, climbing talk) are up there that weekend (April 21/22) give me a shout out, I'd love to meet up for a brew at Bacchus!

K.

Lilgeorg

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's hard to switch gears and think about other sports just yet, but we have a little house near the Gunks in Ellenville, Ny. That's where we wil be all summer long following our love of hang gliding. So, if you get tired of hanging on walls, take a short trip on Rt 52 and on any North west day you will find both hanggliders and paragliders in the air. Look for a yellow and purple hang glider and that will be my hubby.

kempokelly

Certified Ski Diva
Karate

:o
We do KARATE - Hence, my name kempokelly :p
Would highly recommend to anyone even remotely interested.
Started last February and just LOVE it! I'm 46 years old and can't believe what I'm doing. It's an intense workout that I believe has helped along my skiing tremendously.

My endurance has increased and hardly have any thigh burn... We train up to 3 days/week (ea. session is 1 hr.),plus a 1/2 hr. private lesson. We start off with some warm ups, which works on different muscles, lots of core-strength, and then stretching.

In addition, I had been diagnosed with Osteopenia (precursor to Osteoporosis) 6 years ago and since training my bone density is back to normal!

I also had a ski injury 2 yrs. prior to karate training (probably a rotator cuff). I didn't see some ice and took a hard dive... I probably braced myself with my arms outstretched... It was very slow in healing and after 2 yrs. still had limited mobility/pain in my shoulder. Thanks to stretching in my karate, I have regained my mobility.

The other thing, I tried snowboarding :p and I was soooo thankful to have more flexibility... I fell ALOT! I probably would have some broken bones! Instead just had sore muscles. Oh, and we also learn how to fall - to protect your head, back/spine etc... to minimize injuries when we do "take downs" on each other; we repeat it over and over... and I noticed that in some ski/snowboard sites, the description on how to fall is exactly the same.

If anyone has questions or would like more information, please let me know... it's just awesome in every respect.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Re: the Gunks
It's really a shame that I didn't pick up climbing until I went to college b/c the Gunks are less than an hour from where I grew up. My bro had the better idea went to school at New Paltz. :smile:

I'll be out in the Flagstaff/Havasu Falls area in early June with two girlfriends, hiking into Havasu Falls. We're hunting around from some crags, too.

snowgem

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ocean lover

Love how athletic you all are!

Before and after ski season, I body-board, fins, wetsuit and all - watch wave reports just like snow reports. Have heard that being in the ocean 20+ minutes equalizes your body somehow - ALWAYS feel better. Looking into surfing - but, to surf, I'd have to give up days of body-boarding, just as to snowboard, I'd have to give up a days of skiing. Am considering going to a women's surf camp (in winter, and give up ski time?!). So, until I have "extra" time - and $ - I stick with what I know. Also, occasionally hike and roller-blade locally. And, do a lot landscaping and gardening at my house (not a sport). Being outdoors and physical is what matters, whatever!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
How'd I miss this thread! :noidea: I better start playing catch-up. Great excuse NOT get work done! :laugh:

I'm a water skier, too! Love it, but the problem here is that our nearby lake (1/4 mi) is.....COLD....bone numbing. Full wetsuit works, but OH, the cold feet...There are so few boats on this lake that we are often the only boat, much less the only water skiers. Like having a private lake.

Great mountain hiking around here, so we try to get some in after the doggone, wretched BLACK FLIES are gone, or at least minimized.

Other than that, it's fitness fitness fitness. I belong to a facility that does the Les Mills training programs, and they are INTENSE workouts. So about 4-5 classes a week there.

I would LOVE to try hang gliding, though - WOW!

snowgem

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As far as cold feet/hands in cold water: I have great booties and gloves, varying thicknesses, and a hood, to cope, and a 5-7mm wetsuit. And, layers, too. I joke when outfitted for the coldest water about being the Michelin man (really a good resemblance!).

Ok - in warm water climates - snorkeling is a fun activity! Anybody scuba dive? That's tempted me.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
As far as cold feet/hands in cold water: I have great booties and gloves, varying thicknesses, and a hood, to cope, and a 5-7mm wetsuit. And, layers, too. I joke when outfitted for the coldest water about being the Michelin man (really a good resemblance!).

Ok - in warm water climates - snorkeling is a fun activity! Anybody scuba dive? That's tempted me.

Wow, you are equipped and ready for cold water! BRRR, makes me cold just thinking about it. Cold AIR is one thing: cold water.....:eek: DH is a diver, belongs to a local club, they do inland lake but mostly ocean dives all summer - heck, all year. He just went scallop diving on 12/30!! (:eek: again, 37 degree ocean!) I'm out for this - one bad eardrum, no can do. He loves it, though, so I'm a "scuba widow" in summer....:(

SueNJ

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm certified, but haven't done any dives in quite a few years. I became spoiled by the warmer waters of Florida and the Bahamas after a few diving trips in those places, and couldn't bring myself to dive in the northeast afterward. The cold ocean off of NJ and north just didn't compare to the warm, clear ocean in the warmer climates. There used to be a really nice fresh-water quarry lake in northern NJ with super clear, relatively warm water that was available to scuba divers, but several years ago, a private community was built around the quarry and it's no longer accessible to the public.

Especially if you're near warmer climates, scuba diving is lots of fun. I've dived on coral reefs that rival those I've seen in some of the bigger state aquariums.

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hiking is my primary summer spring/summer/fall activity. Play softball in spring & fall leagues.l Camp as much as possible.

I enjoy snowshoeing also during the winter.

Like Ski Diva, I spend quite a bit oif time at the gym, but only because I have to!

And, I love live music and drinking adult beverages with friends! Especially during the summer.

veggielasagna

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Running! I run 50-60 miles per week year round.
Cycling...just took it up (somewhat seriously) this past summer because it's fun and greatly improved my race times!
I used to play softball..it's my favorite team sport.
Otherwise I'm a bit of a computer nut; I build and troubleshoot them. I enjoy cooking and baking as well and I appreciate a good mystery novel :smile:

LouWho

Diva in Training
SCUBA is my other big hobby, but I've slowed down on that since I started skiing again and moved to Alaska. The diving up here is really only great in the winter.....boooooooooooo...............and tolerable the rest of the year.

The other thing I picked up since moving to Alaska was fishing/boating. We got a swanky new boat that's waiting for us to bring it up from Washington.

Otherwise, I do a lot of knitting and my current hobby is trying to find a "grown-up" job. Being a student is nice and all, but not having any money gets old!

SkiBikeSwim

Diva in Training
I do a lot of swimming, road cycling, and mountain biking in the "offseason". I've come to really enjoy the intricate sport of skate skiing too, but that's not offseason. Oh, and drinking beer fits in with all that too:laugh:

cloudpeak

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In addition to skiing, I enjoy:

o Paddling (whitewater kayaking)
o Running (I love running trails through the woods)
o Mild mountain biking (I'm no altagirl)
o Jazz piano

Bravosarah

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I enjoy motorcycling, here's a photo of my bike a 1990 Honda PC800. I'm still waiting for the perfect day - when I can ride my bike to the ski hill! :becky:

Attachments

• my bike.JPG
    my bike.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 9

atlantiqueen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm what you might call "eclectic"

I'm a qualified guide so I spend a lot of time in a canoe or kayak on lakes, rivers on ocean.
For fun - white water kayaking and super-keen about sailing

I was a dancer/singer/actor for 18 years and still enjoy all of them and sit on the boards of an arts guild and a theatre company

Like so many other divas, I love to be outside - we camp, ski, snowshoe, hike, mtb etc...

For indoor fun, I LOVE to cook for people - I derive tremendous pleasure from feeding people - must be the Acadian/German in me! And I love kicking a&* at Trivial Pursuit and Scrabble (that's the dork in me shining through)

Music - jazz and blues especially live living room concerts

yup...I'm eclectic all right:becky:

lovebug

Certified Ski Diva
My turn my turn!!

All year round: Jujitsu (not BJJ but more traditional jujitsu - think judo without the competetion) and Kenjitsu (traditional samurai arts including sword)

Spring Fall and Summer: Hiking and Backpacking, favorite places include the White Mountains in NH and Shennandoah National Park in VA

Thank goodness we found skiing! I have no desire to backpack in snow! BRRRRR!!! (Although it did snow on us last July 4th during our Presidential Traverse :eek:)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna