• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Ski boots/mittens won't dry

Lilia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As for me, I don't use any devices, but I don't ski days in a row and try to have at least a day between skiing.

Nevertheless, my mitts don't really get dry even after they have spent a way on a warm battery. So I just have another pair of mitts.
My boots do get dry however. I just get them out of my ski bag at home, and lay them down in the room.

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I get home from skiing, I immediately put in my boot dryers. Mine are kind of like those orange ones posted... not exactly the same but I couldn't find them (I've had them for years). So I'll put one in the bottom of each boot, then I take my gloves and tuck them into the top of the boot so that the wrist/open portion of the glove is pointed towards the dryer. My boots AND gloves are always dry by the next morning when I'm ready to wear them.

Christy

Angel Diva
I have a boot dryer but after the novelty of having it wore off I just went back to taking the liners out. They dry overnight just fine (my boots leak so the liners always get wet). Since you have multiple pair to dry maybe some combo of some liners out and others using the dryer would work.

Some people seem to have a hard time getting liners in and out but once you do it a few times it's no problem. Or maybe some brands are easier/harder than others.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Some people seem to have a hard time getting liners in and out but once you do it a few times it's no problem. Or maybe some brands are easier/harder than others.

This is me. I think I'm just nervous about messing with it, since my feet are so finicky - a wrinkle in my sock led to a lost toenail. I've also heard (I think) that constantly pulling the liner in and pushing it back in can wear down the liner material, which makes sense to me. Anyway, I live in a dry climate. I don't think my alpine boots have ever been wet the following day - but I hope the dryer (plus some dryer sheets stuck in the boot - suggestion from a fitter) can help minimize the boot smell that develops. My AT boots, which I sweat in profusely on the skin up, on the other hand ... need the dryer for that.

Jilly

Staff member
I had my Tecnica's for 5 years, about 45 days each year. No harm to my liners. Always take them out. It's your knuckles that take a beating. Like Christy I seem to get moisture between the liner and shell, so they have come out.

To 4sherms - what type of mitts are the kiddo's using. Not wool or fleece mittens I hope. Even Hot Paws are better than those.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think some brands or models of boots are easier than others to get the liners in/out. I had a terrible time with getting the liners out and then back in (that was the hardest) with my Langes. I had no trouble with subsequent boots which were Tecnica and Dalbello. I think it had to do with the shape of the heel pocket--the Langes had a lip that the liner had to go over in order to be put back in. My other boots did not have that lip so it's easy to return them to the boot.

altagirl

Staff member
This is me. I think I'm just nervous about messing with it, since my feet are so finicky - a wrinkle in my sock led to a lost toenail. I've also heard (I think) that constantly pulling the liner in and pushing it back in can wear down the liner material, which makes sense to me. Anyway, I live in a dry climate. I don't think my alpine boots have ever been wet the following day - but I hope the dryer (plus some dryer sheets stuck in the boot - suggestion from a fitter) can help minimize the boot smell that develops. My AT boots, which I sweat in profusely on the skin up, on the other hand ... need the dryer for that.

I agree - plus, God forbid if you have little boot fitting things glued on to the outside and those get shifted around. I'd rather not risk it unless it's needed, so I'd rather use a boot dryer than take them out if possible.

2bjenny

Certified Ski Diva
I use an old technique (I guess it's old), I stuff newspaper loosely in to my boots and it absorbs the moisture. Just remember to either take it out before bed, or switch it out for fresh. Works pretty well.

4sherms

Certified Ski Diva
Is everyone wearing their gaiters OVER the boots? Tucking them in will get the boots wet.
As far as I know, the kids' snowpant elastics (is that what you are referring to?) have been on the outside of their boots. However--I will have to double check next time we go!

4sherms

Certified Ski Diva
I do have boot dryers but don't use them very often. You can pull out the liners..but kind of a pain.... What are the kids wearing for socks? Minimize sweating with one pair of wool ski socks. As long as I put my boots near the heater they are usually fine in the morning. Yes to keeping ski pants on the OUTSIDE of ski boots.

I have Smartwool ski socks for them. Is there another brand I should try? They seem to like them.

4sherms

Certified Ski Diva
I agree - plus, God forbid if you have little boot fitting things glued on to the outside and those get shifted around. I'd rather not risk it unless it's needed, so I'd rather use a boot dryer than take them out if possible.
It is not easy to take my liners out. The kid boots are a cinch. My boot dryer arrived today am I'm looking forward to giving it a shot after our next day out.

newboots

Angel Diva
As far as I know, the kids' snowpant elastics (is that what you are referring to?) have been on the outside of their boots. However--I will have to double check next time we go!

Yes. My snowpants have an inner, elastic gaiter, under the snowpant bottom. No tucking or snow gets in!

My boots don't get wet inside. This discussion as well as one on Epic, make me wonder if I'm doing something wrong! Not falling enough?

:wink:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My boots don't get wet inside. This discussion as well as one on Epic, make me wonder if I'm doing something wrong!

Nah! My boots don't really get wet, either, except for sweat. You may be less sweaty than some ...

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would say most of the moisture in my boots comes from sweat. My feet get funky on a long ski day... :cool: I'll have to try the dryer sheet trick though! Last ski trip, my family made me go out and buy some Desitin because my boots were smelling up the car.... ehhh.... :rotf:

Jilly

Staff member
Don't forget that in the spring/off season, you can "wash" your liners. I just put mine in the wash tub that the washer flows into. Let them sit during a cycle. Rinse and dry in the sun on the patio.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I take my liners out to the boots, nightly. They dry overnight. I use 2 pairs of gloves in rotation, so I have a dry pair. I also have a boot dryer like this:

https://www.marks.com/en/categories/workwear/other/sale-clearance/workwear-accessories/product/boot-dryer-38190.html#38190[color]=BLACK

I have multiple pairs of gloves/mittens but I do put them on the boot dryer (cheap one) every night. I haven't had much problem with wet boots, but when the do get that way, I pull the liners. Good luck - wet boots are no fun.

4sherms

Certified Ski Diva
:welcome: from a weekday Sugarloaf skier!
Yes - dry is critically important, but all the more so where you're headed: one of the coldest, windiest mountains in New England. The snow is great this winter, but the cold air is on its way. Next Saturday looks to be single digits for a HIGH.
This will make dry clothing and boots, etc., all the more important. A hair dryer will suffice in a pinch, but the boot dryers really are better (several kinds).

As important as that will be covering up 100%, meaning face masks, gaiters, etc. - and heeding the call of the cold - watch for white skin spots, get inside.

Agree with @nopoleskier above that Boot Gloves make a difference on very cold days. I'm wearing mine next week.

Also, chemical hand warmers! Get several packs!

Hi! First off, how lucky are you that you get to ski Sugarloaf during the week! My husband and I had such a great time--and perhaps the biggest boost for me is that I think I am a much better skier after spending 3 days there. Not a single ice patch and I enjoyed almost every run. But you are not kidding, it was so cold and windy--I went into Bulwinkle's a few times to dry out my balaclava over the stove. I made the mistake of taking my hand out of my mitten to take a picture when we got off the Timberline lift (because that is the highest elevation I've been!) and I was convinced my hand was going to fall off.

I can't wait to get back there--just wish it wasn't 4 hours away! (Or maybe I need to move?)

4sherms

Certified Ski Diva
Don't forget that in the spring/off season, you can "wash" your liners. I just put mine in the wash tub that the washer flows into. Let them sit during a cycle. Rinse and dry in the sun on the patio.

You can wash boot liners? I had no idea!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna