• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Salomon X Max 110 Fitting Report

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am curious, if you were overflexing the boot so much as to deform some of it, why were you put in the boot to begin with?

The boot fitter said that boots stiffen up in the cold. It's normally true. He also said that the ability to flex in the shop wasn't indicative of the flex while skiing. Also true.

I think I am also guilty of wanting to believe that the Salomons would stiffen enough in the cold because the fit was so perfect. I was a Salomon loyalist and believed their 110 rating to be what I needed. It was their stiffest boot, yada, yada. I accept the blame, too.

To answer your second question, I didn't ski the boots before the heating process, so I can't say whether it had any effect at all. I was unaware of any flex differences in the shop.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would be really interested to get your input.

I would bet I can't flex them better than any other boot, but it would be kinda fun to see because you guys are making them sound like noodles. :smile: I couldn't even flex the true kids 60 flex boots in the shops well (not even jr. race boots).

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
FWIW I'm an aggressive skier and have had no issues with overflexing these boots. They may be soft for the designated flex rating but I haven't had any issues and I wouldn't describe them as noodles. I also am not a racer or ex-racer or even really spend any time on the groomers so maybe style of skiing plays into it. I would be really surprised if these boots were similar to a 70 flex in another boot, that seems a bit of an overexaggeration. My previous boots were a 70 flex (Nordicas) and these are definitely stiffer than those.

MissySki

Angel Diva
The boot fitter said that boots stiffen up in the cold. It's normally true. He also said that the ability to flex in the shop wasn't indicative of the flex while skiing. Also true.

I think I am also guilty of wanting to believe that the Salomons would stiffen enough in the cold because the fit was so perfect. I was a Salomon loyalist and believed their 110 rating to be what I needed. It was their stiffest boot, yada, yada. I accept the blame, too.

To answer your second question, I didn't ski the boots before the heating process, so I can't say whether it had any effect at all. I was unaware of any flex differences in the shop.

The heat moldable boots are using plastics that have much different thermo behavior than other ski boots. (That's why they can completely transform their shape at relatively low temperatures) It has been my experience so far with two different heat moldable boots that they do not stiffen up to anywhere near the same degree as other ski boot plastic in the cold. For me this is a good thing. My current boots are listed as a 105 flex, but they flex for me similarly to a 90 flex junior race boot that was my other main option when I was shopping for boots.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That bring up another thought- does having the heat moldable plastic molded vs. not having it molded affect the stiffness of the plastic? My boots were never shell molded, so I'm wondering if they haven't been broken down by the heat and are therefore stiffer than the OPs? My bootfitter was very hesitant to shell mold my boots and they basically did everything to could to get them to fit short of molding the shells, although I didn't pry as to why they were so hesitant (when I questioned them on this they just said that they would do it if they had to but they wanted to try other options first).

MissySki

Angel Diva
That bring up another thought- does having the heat moldable plastic molded vs. not having it molded affect the stiffness of the plastic? My boots were never shell molded, so I'm wondering if they haven't been broken down by the heat and are therefore stiffer than the OPs? My bootfitter was very hesitant to shell mold my boots and they basically did everything to could to get them to fit short of molding the shells, although I didn't pry as to why they were so hesitant (when I questioned them on this they just said that they would do it if they had to but they wanted to try other options first).

Interesting, I haven't skied either of the heat moldable boots that I've had before the molding to compare. If he didn't love the idea of heat molding them he likely has his reasons based on whatever experiences he's had with them. My bootfitter seemed to indicate a lot of people have had issues after molding the Fischers (they feel they change over time versus what they perform like initially, and I had the same experience with them, it was strange) he hasn't seen as many issues with the Salomons, but he admittedly hadn't done a as many molds with them yet so he didn't have as much customer feedback. With my Technicas he was all for molding them because he has the men's version of the Cochise and had heat molded his own so he was confident in what they were going to do and we were trying to accomplish the same types of adjustment on my boots that he had on his own so it worked out well.

DanniAB

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I own the Salomon xPro 90 and love, love, love 'em!!
Your fitting experience with the 110's sounded similar to mine!
Salomon must make a great boot.

canski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As stated earlier, but with only a few days in......I weigh 115 and am 62, but an advanced/expert long-term skier. I also like a close 'performance' fit in a true 22 shell size - so limited choices over many years - especially once I found out I could actually squeeze into a Salomon 22.

No comparisons between the current Salomon flex ratings and the older models. I had the Instinct CS90 for the last 4 years. Couldn't really flex them except a bit in the spring (at least I thought I was flexing them). Have had the Xmax 90 this season - could flex them like crazy in the shop, but did not want to go too stiff again. Early season skiing was in the 20's degree wise and the flex was still quite soft - it took me quite a while to get used to it. Then the past 6 weeks it had been around 0 (if that), and I can still flex them, but they have stiffened up more. I do enjoy the ability to absorb terrain/conditions, and I feel that I am skiing better than ever in these boots. Also have not needed to add the (salomon provided) heel lift/cups to get forward - don't know if it is a boot stance issue, or the ability to actually flex the boot to get my weight where it should be. Not sure if they will still feel a bit too soft when (and if) it ever warms up/spring or if I will have adjusted to having that level of flex by then.

I think any lightweight should be able to flex the Xmax 90.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This saga has a happy ending. The Langes and I wish to report Happy Feet. The first day out was like night and day. I felt stacked and back in control with no quad burn.

The second day, I had foot pain. I determined it to be the custom orthotic was slipping. Some double stick tape solved that problem until I can get back to the boot fitter for a more permanent solution.

In the end, the Lange boots are working well for me and I am happy. I feel like a poser with "Race" written on my boots, because I am so NOT a racer. My friends are teasing me about rocking the Smurf look, but the boots fit. They are stiff enough for me and I am very satisfied.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Further update. After getting more than 10 days of skiing on the Langes, I can say that I love these boots. I always thought that my former boots fit well, but these are amazing.

I am impressed with the improved edge control I am getting on the Eastern hardback. Ok, I am not an expert skier by any means, but I am ripping down the mountain these days, compared to what I was doing before. I'm surprised because I feel so in control of my edges on runs that my friends complain are too icy.

Happy Feet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga