• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Salomon X Max 110 Fitting Report

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I finally got my Salomon XMax 110 boots today. I couldn't be more pleased. I have been looking for boots in a 23.5, that are not too wide and are quite stiff. This is a combination that many of the local shops seem to ignore. They will stock some stiffer boots for women, but one shop said that they only stock the bigger sizes. (Whaaaaa? Short women like stiffer boots, too) Anyway…

I went to Northern Ski Works at Killington and worked with Hal. What a great guy and competent boot fitter. I recommend him.

I had wanted to try on the Salomon X Max 110s but they sold out early last year. 98 last and Salomon 110 stiff. Now was my chance.

In addition to the XMax 110, I tried the Salomon XPro 90, but it was too wide. I have a C width foot, and I have no idea how the B width people can get a good fit in such a wide boot. High volume, to be sure, but the flex was nice.

I also tried the Lange RS 110. What can I say about the Smurf boot that has been around forever? It needed a bit more tweaking for a good fit and the Salomons seemed much better.

I also tried the new Technica Crush. On paper, it looks very promising. Unfortunately, it was too tall for my short legs (big calves), but I predict that this will be a very good option for many women. Try this if you can.

Finally, I tried the K2 Spyre 110. With an Intuition liner and an amazing wraparound shell, this will be a top contender in the next few years as well. It was a little too tight on my instep and caused some forefoot numbness, but I really liked the way it hugged my calf. My foot just fit in the heel pocket, too. A ski patroller had skied the men's version in the Spring and raved about this one. If you can find this boot, try it.

In the end, the Salomon XMax110 was the best for me. Out of the box, they were almost perfect. The toe box is a little short (height, not width), but the overall fit was good. There is a thick layer under the factory footbed. It was easy for Hal to shave off a couple of millimeters for a great fit, even with my custom insoles.

Heating for a custom shell…I felt like I was pronating too much. I asked Hal to cant them a little or to adjust the cuff a bit. He said it can't be done on this boot, but he could put it in the shells in the oven, heat them, and they will fit me perfectly.

Ten minutes later, the shells came out of the oven. They were floppy soft and so hot that Hal handled them with gloves on his hands. He put the liners in the hot shells, helped me put them on, and buckled them. The boots were not so hot as to distort my custom insoles, though. He placed a 3'x3' board under my feet so I had a flat platform to stand on. I stood up with my feet a little less than shoulder width apart (my preferred ski position) for about 10 minutes. The boots molded to my legs and feet. At the end of about 10 minutes or so, the boots were hard enough to hold their shape. No grinding, no punching, no canting - my boots just fit. To let you know, there is some customization to the back of the shell for women with thinner legs, but I don't need it. :cool:

There is a heating process to customize the liners as well, but I didn't need that either. It can be heated later, but why mess with something that is working.

When I took my skis down to get the bindings adjusted to the new boot sole length, the tech noted that how perfectly the boots match my 2012 Kenjas and asked me if I bought the boots to match my skis. Sigh. Farthest thing from my mind.

Now, all I need is some snow.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Nice, I am looking at getting boots tomorrow and these are some of the models that were suggested for me last time I went in (they didn't have full stock in then). Hopefully they continue to treat you well throughout the season!

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a couple of ski days so far. I'm having a couple of fitting issues with some numbness, but I'm sure that another visit to the boot fitter will help. It only happens when I'm skiing, not sitting or walking, so we think it's a flexing problem.

I like a really stiff boot. TBH, I'm disappointed about the flex. Although his is "110" and its the stiffest Salomon makes for women, it's softer than I like. I was hoping that they would get a bit stiffer in the cold. I'm collapsing the shell into my ankle/top of the foot.

It's a work in progress. I'm away from the mountain for a couple of weeks. More info in January.

canski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got the X-Max 90 this season, after being in the Salomon Instinct CS 90 for 5 years (which I could not flex - but the only 22 that fit). I find the flex of the x-max 90 to be quite soft, as well - but I am trying to get used to it and do enjoy having enough flex to absorb some of the terrain issues that used to toss me and tire me out - stance is a bit different, but have not added the lifters yet as having the flex allows me to get forward. Also a work in progress....

Celestron2000

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just got a pair of the X-max 110s as well. You may recall that I'm only a low advanced skier, but I do have long legs. I think the 110 are pretty much just right for me (although the toes of my R foot felt kinda crunched and I had to quit early today.) I think they just need a little tweaking. That said, not surprised you're finding them a little soft.
I do love that narrow fit.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
After a couple of months of skiing, I have a bit more to report. The boots fit well - no more fitting or tweaking for the fit.

BUT, the flex is too soft. It's supposed to be a 110, but even at -6*F, I am disappointed that the boots are so soft. I feel as if there is nothing to stop my knees from moving forward. When I skied over a bump, I felt as if my ankle was going to break as the shell flexed into the top of my foot.

This is not right. I need to go back to the boot fitter asap. More news after I talk to him.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And the verdict is in. The Salomon 110 is too soft and nothing can be done about it. He tried to put in one of Salomon's cuff stiffeners, but it didn't work. The cuff was stiff, but the problem is that the plastic is so soft that it flexes into the top of my foot at the ankle. The fit was amazing, but I was over-flexing it. I felt as if I was doing wall-squats all day and my quads were tired. I just couldn't stay stacked over my skis and it was wreaking havoc with my skiing.

Here is the lesson to learn about finding a great boot fitter. We went back to the other boots I had tried. I finally decided on the Lange RS110. Much stiffer than the Salomons. Night and day. The K2 was also a great boot, but in the end, the Langes were the best for me.

Believe it or not, he did an even exchange for the Langes, despite my 10 days or so on the Salomons.

Hal at Northern Ski Works at Killington is such a nice guy and a wonderful resource. I'd recommend him to everyone in the area.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hal also suggested that I write to Salomon and tell them about my experience. He said that it would count for more if it came from the skier and not from the shop. I've been in Salomon boots for 30 years - since the red, rear-entry SX91 boots in the early 80s. They fit my feet and legs so well, I'm sorry that they aren't making a high end boot for women anymore.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Quite a story - phew. Saga, actually. This isn't the first I'd heard about the soft flex - too soft. Glad you got a fit in the Lange - and awesome about the even exchange. Hope the Langes work out!! Crossing fingers.

Yes, you should write. I have heard inklings of rumors that a high-end boot design based on the late Salmon SX90-91-92 of decades past and its then-very revolutionary "heel-instep-perimeter" (HIP) measuring system for boot sizing may be making a return. Not sure if by Salomon. Presumably?

I've also read some interesting discussions about the whole metamorphosis of rear-entry boots - and that Salomon was the only one that worked. Its demise came about with the plethora of other, hugely inferior take-offs by other brands. So we'll see. I was in the original SX90 then had 2 successors before going back to 4 buckle overlap. Mixed bag for me, for fit.

Last edited:

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just want to make sure that I made myself clear. I happily skied the Salomon Idol 8s for the last 5 years, but with more than 200 days on them, it was time for new boots. I meant to say that, as a rule, I have enjoyed the fit of Salomon boots for more than 30 years (not just the rear entry models).

The Salomon Idol 8s were supposed to be an 80 flex, but when I put them on today, they were noticeably stiffer than the XMax 110s. Even with 200+ days on them. :noidea:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
You did. I had a Salomon overlap boot post-rear-entry also.
This apparently is the plastic composition, or at least it seems to be.

The wild inconsistency in flex numbers and purported stiffness of boots is something the industry really needs to look at, seriously. Claiming 110 for something that sounds like a 70, if that, is crazy.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wish there were some way to split this thread so others might be able to add their $.02 about boot stiffness. What started as a fitting report is developing into a more technical discussion that is also relevant to boots in general. I also want to emphasize that my boot fitter, Hal, went over and above to get me in the right boot. That is part of the fitting process, as well.

Disclaimer: I am short and heavy. I have really strong legs. My dorsiflexion and ankle flexibility is really good. I like a stiff boot I can really lean into.

The Salomon XMax 110 may be a perfect boot for some, but not for me. The comfort of the boot was never in question. It has the ability to mold to your foot and solves a lot of fitting issues right in the store when it is heated and fit properly. It's the flex/stiffness issue that is my complaint.

Back to the boot stiffness discussion.

The boot fitter said that the stiffness is in the cuff. Ok. The cuff was stiff, but the plastic on top of the boot at the ankle was deforming when I flexed forward. I can see where the weakness is. (Salomon also has a forward lean adjustment - mine was set to the most upright to afford the maximum stiffness.)

So I have been thinking about this. The plastic of the boot is heat moldable, as I mentioned in my first post. Maybe that plastic isn't as resistant to flex? But then I remembered that the men's XMax boots also are heat moldable and go up 110-120-130. I can't imagine a man skiing in a 110 that flexes like that.
The wild inconsistency in flex numbers and purported stiffness of boots is something the industry really needs to look at, seriously. Claiming 110 for something that sounds like a 70, if that, is crazy.

Salomon needs to get consistency in their stiffness ratings between men's and women's boots, too.

Salomon refers to their XMax 110 as their "Race Boot." I just can't believe that.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, flex ratings at the moment are all over the place and not indicative of anything, would be nice to have some industry-wide standard that would allow the boots to be compared. having said this, I would much prefer a boot that is too soft to a boot that is too stiff. Engaging core more helps to keep knees flexed exactly how you need it without falling on boots for support (that is unless you do lot of charging and high speed turning, when it's better to have stronger support). I did a clinic when we skied with cuffs undone completely - it's amazing how much control you can actually have just by having a nice centered position in a boot.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I am curious, if you were overflexing the boot so much as to deform some of it, why were you put in the boot to begin with? I'd think the issue would have shown up in the warm shop to start, or do you feel it was an issue that developed after the molding process? [Interested because when I was in my Fischer Vacuum boots I was utterly convinced that things changed over time after molding them and they didn't stay as they started.. I've been told by my bootfitter that he's noticed the same thing about the Fischers, but not yet with the Salomons, though they haven't been out as long]

I tried on the 90max and completely overflexed the heck out of it in the shop which led my bootfitter to dismissing it on the spot for me. This was rare as I usually have trouble with boots being too stiff and not the other way around. They didn't have my size in the 110, so I didn't get to try that one.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
... having said this, I would much prefer a boot that is too soft to a boot that is too stiff. Engaging core more helps to keep knees flexed exactly how you need it without falling on boots for support (that is unless you do lot of charging and high speed turning, when it's better to have stronger support).

I agree. Some days, you need stiffness and other days, you just loosen the boots and cruise. A stiff boot gives me the option.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Nonetheless.....I could not flex a true 110 boot at my 115#. So the fact that Salomon lists it, right in its model name, as that? :noidea: What on earth are the lower number models like? :eek: I ordinarily prefer softer, 80, never more than 90 at my size (and, cough, age). And the open cuff and buckles drills are frequently done in ski school clinics -- but most are pretty happy to buckle up when it's over.

I agree with @2ski2moro - options, please.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maybe I need to go try on some of these soft Salomon boots. :wink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna