• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Roxy Ski Camp 2012

Rosie Facer

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm in. Camp booked but not sure yet whether I'll stay in Whistler, stay in Squamish or do the whole drive everyday.

Jilly

Staff member
Camp booked and confirmed
Hotel booked and confirmed

Flight booked and confirmed - yeah for seat sales on WestJet!

Now just how to get to Whistler from the airport - bus or car? To be determined. And so far all but the camp on points!! Still got points left! Car??

Rosie Facer

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Camp booked and confirmed
Hotel booked and confirmed

Flight booked and confirmed - yeah for seat sales on WestJet!

Now just how to get to Whistler from the airport - bus or car? To be determined. And so far all but the camp on points!! Still got points left! Car??

Bus!

Winter tires or chains are required (by government regs - the road itself may be clear) for travel on most of the highway up to Whistler. I'd be surprised if a rental car from Vancouver airport comes equipped with either. Perhaps some of the SUV rentals come with M+S tires, which seem to count (https://www.th.gov.bc.ca/popular-topics/faq.htm#winter_tires) :noidea:

Jilly

Staff member
Hey, I drive in Ontario and Quebec. Snow's no problem and Quebec doesn't use salt! With 2 of us and all our gear, I'd be looking a SUV anyways. I like my trucks!

Rosie Facer

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey, I drive in Ontario and Quebec. Snow's no problem and Quebec doesn't use salt! With 2 of us and all our gear, I'd be looking a SUV anyways. I like my trucks!

Aaaah, I knew it was a "risky" post. Absolutely not commenting your ability to drive without winter tires, given where you live and play. :smile: Just pointing out the potential for being ticketed. After the chaos that tends to ensue on the road when Vancouver gets covered by a 1 mm smear of snow on the roads, the RCMP may have one of their inspections set up IF (and there isn't always) there is snow on the highway to Whistler.

Thinking about it, car rental companies may have some vehicles in the fleet that are appropriately equipped for the incoming skiers anyway.

ScottishGirlie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Jilly, if you were departing first thing on the Monday morning and you did have an SUV, if you had spare room, I would happily pay for seat back to the airport if that helps with costs?

Jilly

Staff member
Scottishgirl - Lizzy and I are leaving Sunday night to go back to Vancouver. Flying out Monday AM. Does that suit your plans - PM me as this is the open forum.

ScottishGirlie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey Jilly, I'm booked for the Sunday night in Whistler so no worries, was just a thought. Thanx though.

Not long to go now - can't wait! I keep looking at the webcams, looks pretty good!!

Christy

Angel Diva
Jilly, I wouldn't worry about the roads or getting a 4WD or SUV--we always drive our Prius up and have no issues. The taxis in Whistler are even Priuses. You don't go over any mt passes to get there, and the drive is a relatively low elevation.

That said, you will park your car underground and never use it, so you don't actually need one. So, I'd go with whatever's cheaper, bus or car.

Jilly

Staff member
I would be surprised if rental vehicles don't come equiped for provincial regulations. I'm sure you can't rent a car in Quebec without snow tires after December 15th. Christy- you would be allowed to drive your car because it wouldn't have BC plates. They do the same in Quebec. My Ontario plates exempt me from that law. I got them anyways, drive too much in the winter.

I'm going to call my point company, anyways this week and see about a car/SUV.

Christy

Angel Diva
Oh, I didn't mean issues with police. I meant with the road. It's a very tame low elevation drive.

But now that I've said that, that weekend could be the one time you need it. You could always just check the forecast as we get close and change vehicles, if necessary.

mountainxtc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Looking forward to seeing you all. First camp of the season is coming up next weekend, any divas signed up for that one?

Mom of Redheads

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Looked back through this thread to get reminders on places to hunt for accommodations... This is what, 6 weeks away? Aack! I still have not moved beyond booking the camp as far as my planning goes...

We successfully managed to get the in-laws to watch the kids - so I think DH will come with me. You know it's sad when alone time on a plane and even one day of skiing together starts to look good!:laugh: In all seriousness, if the in-laws are willing, we might be able to stretch as much as a 4 day weekend out of this. Yay...

Gonna pin Dad of Redheads down this week on our exact dates and get planning!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna