• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Road Trip

abc

Banned
Not in the case of SLC to Reno. The airport is relatively close to Snowbird and it's a short flight so you could easily ski all day, fly that evening, then ski at Squaw all the next day. You really do lose a day of skiing by doing that drive across the Nevada desert.
Technically, you can fly between just about any city within the US after skiing a good portion of the day and still be in bed at decent hour to ski the next morning. So, in a perfect world, flying beats driving time-wise hands down.

In practice, you have to return your rental car, pack up your ski and check it (fingers cross it gets to your destination airport), re-hire another rental car at your destination airport...

While all that doesn't take 8 hrs, the stress level CAN BE high.

And if there's a storm anywhere near, you may find yourself stranded for far more than 8 hrs! Speaking from personal experience here.

altagirl

Staff member
Not in the case of SLC to Reno. The airport is relatively close to Snowbird and it's a short flight so you could easily ski all day, fly that evening, then ski at Squaw all the next day. You really do lose a day of skiing by doing that drive across the Nevada desert.
I'd still say that it depends. Even though it's a short flight, you're looking at 4 hours minimum with security, rental car, etc. If your tolerance for driving is low, that is worth it. But for road trip lovers? Ski until early afternoon, drive to Squaw, you could leave at 3pm, get there by 11pm... That's not bad. Ski the next day.

I would not recommend waiting until closing to leave Snowbird if it's a crowded powder day, or you will waste a lot of time in Canyon traffic. But if it's not crowded, no worries.

Christy

Angel Diva
It's a way to maximize ski time. You do have the security and such but if it's a night flight the travel would be done when you couldn't be skiing anyway.

altagirl

Staff member
It's a way to maximize ski time. You do have the security and such but if it's a night flight the travel would be done when you couldn't be skiing anyway.
:smile:

If it was me, we don't ski past 3 anyway, unless we went up late. But they close at 415pm, maybe 430. So you can definitely ski bell to bell, drive 8 hours, be in bed by 1am, ski the next morning at Squaw. Granted, that doesn't appeal to everyone. Flying doesn't appeal to everyone either. For the most part, I'd rather drive than fly. You are talking to someone who drives to Whistler every year, which is a solid 18 hours each way. When I was single, I remember a trip I did on a 2 day weekend that involved 25 hours of driving. And it was totally worth it. [emoji1] You'd know if that sort of thing appeals to you or not.

OP sounds like she knows what she's getting into with driving and likes it...

Christy

Angel Diva
Yeah, I know. It was really these things:

And skiing/boarding is our aim – this is not a sightseeing tour.

We are planning on trying to get 3 days at each resort

...that made me want to really make the point that the trip could be done more efficiently. But you're right, and it sounds like the driving part is really, really important (for her sake I do wish it would be more interesting/scenic driving...) ! So I'll get out of this thread now. :smile:

ozgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for your responses!

I have just done a mammoth weekend trip again with my travel buddy.... oh dear It seems we are def road trip mates LOL.

I think he is one of those people who like to show up to the airport with hours and hours to spare!

He has just realised we fly home on Super Bowl Sunday and I said - all good I will either drop you at a bar for the afternoon while I go shopping or see if my friends have friends having a gathering.

He insisted we wont have time! We are flying on a Domestic flight from SFO at 8pm! (my friend lives near the airport..) What time does the game finish? he might miss the end... But hey at least he is entertained during my only allocation of shopping time (oh and how quiet will the Mall be!) and at least this means he will be keen to leave Tahoe early so I get my shopping time! That was something that was going on the negotiation list!

ozgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In other news - just add to the craziness that is my life!

I have just been offered a last minute space on what could be the trip of a lifetime! And I have accepted.

In just over two short weeks I will be heading to NZ for 3 days at this place!!

https://www.invincible.co.nz/!!!!!!!

ozgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
...that made me want to really make the point that the trip could be done more efficiently. But you're right, and it sounds like the driving part is really, really important (for her sake I do wish it would be more interesting/scenic driving...) ! So I'll get out of this thread now. :smile:

Honestly Christy, thanks so much for your thoughts!

I think we are just sooo used to driving together that i feels like the right thing to do!

And we really want to have the flexibility that driving can afford us!

For example we have now been talking about for our 3rd day in JH going cat skiing. But if the weather is not right we will move on! We can't do that if we fly (well yes we can but will cost a bomb!). Also if there is a weather problem at the airport we are stuck again. Driving gives us options. Yes it may mean buying lift tickets on top of our passes but we will do that if we have too.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You can get to Aspen from SLC just as easily.

Uh, no.

Otherwise, buy some chains for the rental car in case you get into hairy weather and roads, which you very well could do. Make sure the tires on your rental are nice and new, as well.

But I am a driver, and think it sounds like fun! I wish I had that kind of time all in one fell swoop.

ozgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks Pinto!

I am excited! We have discussed the chain idea. We will re asses when we get the car & weather patterns.

We are hoping we get to 'choose' our car out of the lot (we have heard that is possible in Denver) so will be checking out tires etc.

My travel buddy has been doing a lot of research on the car side of things! I trust him on that!

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks Pinto!

I am excited! We have discussed the chain idea. We will re asses when we get the car & weather patterns.

We are hoping we get to 'choose' our car out of the lot (we have heard that is possible in Denver) so will be checking out tires etc.

My travel buddy has been doing a lot of research on the car side of things! I trust him on that!

The nice thing, if you get chains at a national "chain" (har har), you can return them at trip's end if they are unused. If you do use them, it will be worth buying them. Win-win.

ozgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The nice thing, if you get chains at a national "chain" (har har), you can return them at trip's end if they are unused. If you do use them, it will be worth buying them. Win-win.

Oh yes good point!!!

My dad has returned chains numerous times years later when he gets a new car and the last ones were unused.

Can you suggest a company?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Since you are renting a car for a couple weeks, may well be worth looking at renting away from the airport. Seems like @Jenny did that. Denver car rental prices are relatively high.

Depending on road conditions, you could ski Aspen, Snowbird, JH, Snowbird, Squaw or JH, Snowbird, Aspen, Squaw. Apparently one way to find cheaper lodging for Aspen is to stay in Glenwood Springs. For instance, could stay in Aspen for a few nights, then pack up, ski for the day, then drive to Glenwood Springs for the night before heading to SLC the next day. Or vice-versa if coming from SLC to Aspen. Seems like I seen that it's possible to park for free at Buttermilk, then take the bus to which ever of the other three mountains you want to ski that day.

A day at Grand Targhee is worth considering if it fits in the schedule.

Finding an inexpensive motel room in SLC is pretty easy. I've stayed at the La Quinta in Midvale. Close to the base of LCC, hot breakfast, pool with hot tub, can get a frig/microwave for $10. Not fancy but decent with interior hallways.

I'm also a long distance driver, usually solo. With two drivers, you'll be fine.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Yep. We stayed at a hotel with a shuttle and picked up the car across the street the next morning. Another location of the same hotel (can't remember the name right now but I can look it up if you want, it's on the other computer) had an Avis desk right in the lobby. It was a significant savings, even with the hotel room factored in.

We also did Priceline one time and I was quite surprised when my pretty lowball bid was accepted.

abc

Banned
A lot of chains had made chains one of those "no return accepted" items.

You need to keep an eye out on the few ones left that still allow it.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A lot of chains had made chains one of those "no return accepted" items.

You need to keep an eye out on the few ones left that still allow it.

Well, I looked up Wal-mart and Autozone and Sears, and they all accept returns on unused chains. Three for three.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm pretty sure Autozone DON'T. Not in CA (or was it NV) last time I was there (2 years ago)

Well, I guess you'd just have to ask. The web site specifically says "no refunds on installed tire chains." Ergo....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga