• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Road Trip

ozgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi everyone,

I am an Aussie - long time lurker, first time poster.

I am hoping for some advice from some locals.

My friend and I have just booked flight to Denver and we are purchasing the Mountain Collective ticket each.

We have decided to hit up the following resorts,
- Aspen
- Jackson Hole
- Snowbird
- Squaw

Flying out of San Francisco 2 weeks later - yes slightly ambitious plan!

Does anyone have any tips or tricks or accom/meal suggestion in those areas?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated (besides you are crazy! :-)

Christy

Angel Diva
If it were summer, no problem. But in winter, with bad road conditions possible, and you won't have snow tires on the rental...I wouldn't. I wouldn't at least make any advance reservations. Hopefully you are doing this not during high season (mid-Jan to mid-March). Then you'll have flexibility with lodging and should be able to plan your next move as weather conditions allow.

Even in good weather I wouldn't waste an entire day of the trip driving from Snowbird to Squaw. Fly from SLC to Reno--it's not expensive, and you'd get an extra day of skiing in. It will be an incredibly boring drive, and very remote, without many services in case anything goes wrong. Then pick up a new car at Reno and return it to SFO.

mustski

Angel Diva
Even in good weather I wouldn't waste an entire day of the trip driving from Snowbird to Squaw. Fly from SLC to Reno--it's not expensive, and you'd get an extra day of skiing in. It will be an incredibly boring drive, and very remote, without many services in case anything goes wrong. Then pick up a new car at Reno and return it to SFO.

This is a VERY good suggestion! We drove from San Diego to SLC and we stopped overnight in Vegas to break up the drive. The interstates are good and the driving is easy, but it is a very long drive. A flight will allow you to rest a bit and depending on how the rental company charges for mileage and the gasoline costs - it may end up being pretty close cost wise. I picked a date just to see - Feb 9. Jet Blue airlines have cheap one way flights from SLC to San Francisco. It's worth checking out. Here's the link:
https://book.jetblue.com/B6/webqtri...9ECC1DA_k5CBCBDDA-FFAC-D77D-DCA1-2C0AB30F2074

abc

Banned
2 weeks for 4 resorts that are a thousand mile apart? That's madness.

You won't see much of each mountain once you substract the driving time between them.

Besides, why fly to Denver when you're going to Snowbird and Jackson Hole? You can get to Aspen from SLC just as easily.

NZfarmgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What kind of skiing do you like to do? Snowbird is a steep and challenging mountain- which may be up your alley, but it would be good to ski Alta as well while you are there- just pay the extra it's well worth it. Alta has lovely varied terrain- including steeps
I like the sound of your trip but if I was doing it I'd do 2 resorts in Colorado, Jackson hole, Snowbird/Alta then fly to SF from SLC - not expensive. So you could do 5 (or more) resorts but in a more compact area. -would be less time wasted. Be prepared for jet lag and altitude adjustment, from flying from our side of the world. can mess with your first few days skiing. Personally I'd take 3 weeks+ to do all that or if I only had 2 weeks I'd just do Colorado + Utah or Utah + Jackson Hole. More skiing less driving. It's a nice idea to get a combined ticket and ski all those places but don't let that stop you going to somewhere else and missing out on some amazing resorts near by. Ticket price is the least of your worries, compared to other costs. There are other ways to get discounts. Eg. In Utah we found discounted lift passes in ski shops around town, saved lots. One was right next door to our hotel. We stayed in Cottonwood heights SLC at the residence inn. It was good, and close to the cottonwood canyons where there are 4 resorts (including Snowbird/alta) They had 3 social evenings per week which involved free food so we saved on dinner. There are plenty cheap hotels/motels in Midvale which is not far away.
I feel you need 3 days to get to know a resort. Above all have fun planning and researching and don't try to squeeze to much in, 2 weeks goes fast!

You are not crazy

altagirl

Staff member
Honestly, i just think it depends on how you feel about driving. 10 years ago, that is exactly what DH and I would have thought of a an ideal trip. And I don't think the drive from SLC to Squaw is that bad. Boring in the middle, but if you are good at entertaining yourself in the car, it's not bad.

That said, I'd leave things a little open ended -better for chasing storms, if nothing else. You are not going to have a problem finding a hotel for Snowbird anytime unless you're trying for up in the canyon, which is way pricier.

ozgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

I should maybe give a bit of background about me...

I am what we aussie snow goers call a weekend warrior. I drive 1000 most weekend in winter to get my snow fix. My traveling mate is in the car with me most weekends. We are used to this.

We are doing this very ambitious plan as part of the adventure, we have NO desire to fly between resorts, if we get stuck on the side of the road so be it - it will add to the adventure! if we miss a day or two on snow because of it - well so what!

I have worked at Winter Park & Heavenly, and Banff. I have done a lot of resorts already, except the ones listed above. I have done the SYD/SFO/SYD multiple times in my life and know all the jet lag issues etc.

We are going to be as flexible as possible don't mind stay in places like Glenwood Springs if we can get on hill accom.

We are doing this the last 2 weeks in jan as it is the only time I can get off work.

Its all booked and paid for now (well the flights and the Mountain Collective pass)

So just any tips you can give... ie what would be the most difficult road we should be wary of on the drive (frequently closed etc)

And accom... we are trying to be flexible with this and will not be booking until closer to the time if at all.

We are looking to rent a Ford Explorer or similar - I was hoping cars from Denver have snow tires? But to be honest I have done more non 4WD in the US during ski season than I have in Australia!

ozgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You are not crazy

Thanks!

it would be good to ski Alta as well while you are there- just pay the extra it's well worth it

Alta is included in the pass BUT mate is a boarder so no Alta for us.

We stayed in Cottonwood heights SLC at the residence inn. It was good, and close to the cottonwood canyons where there are 4 resorts (including Snowbird/alta) They had 3 social evenings per week which involved free food so we saved on dinner. There are plenty cheap hotels/motels in Midvale which is not far away.

Thanks for this will add to the suggested Accom list! Sounds great

I feel you need 3 days to get to know a resort. Above all have fun planning and researching and don't try to squeeze to much in, 2 weeks goes fast!

Agree! We are planning on trying to get 3 days at each resort, depending on weather.

We are used to doing first lifts to last lifts Sat/Sun and getting in the car at 6pm and driving back to Sydney for 5 hours EVERY WEEKEND!

The driving does not phase us.

And skiing/boarding is our aim – this is not a sightseeing tour.

mustski

Angel Diva
Actually, now that I look at it more closely, it's only about an 8 hr drive from SLC to Squaw which is very decent.

ozgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You won't see much of each mountain once you substract the driving time between them.

A day lost to driving is a day lost to flying.

Lets say we ski Saturday Sunday at Aspen - Monday we either fly or drive to SLC... either way we are not skiing!

Yes we might get a sleep in, yes we might get to wander around town on Arrival in SLC... but by driving we also get to see some of the country side.

Road tripping in America is very different to Road Tripping in Australia. getting to see (even if Barren) countryside is part of it.

ozgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Last edited:

abc

Banned
Road tripping in America is very different to Road Tripping in Australia. getting to see (even if Barren) countryside is part of it.
yyou won't get to see even the countryside, but you'll get to see the side of the road, that's all.

aanyway, I'm not suggesting you fly instead of drive. The risk of weather delay is much higher flying than driving, so I wouldn't do it for an 8 hr drive. The stretch between slc and reno is call the 'loneliest highway of America' for a reason.

BBut I am suggesting your plan won't allow you to see the mountains sufficiently.

last, cars In Denver won't have different tire than cars in SLC. Reserve an SUV and find one the have good all season tires. FForget about snow tire on rentals!

altagirl

Staff member
I can't even remember the last time I had snow tires on my personal vehicle. And I do a ton of winter driving. If you have AWD and all season tires, it's fine. If you need more than that, chances are that the road is closed anyway.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey there! I can hopefully answer some JH questions for you, and feel free to PM me as well for more details or questions.

The drive from Aspen to hwy 80 I have never done, but suspect it is winding mountain roads, as I have done the one from JH to Grand Junction and there are some nasty stretches, and be aware that some roads are closed in the winter, so stick to the main ones. From Rock Springs to JH, make sure you fuel up right. There are only a couple of places to get gas on that stretch. Oh, and hwy 80 is notorious for closing on windy winter days. Bring some food and water. Only once in 13 years, but I was stuck in my car for 8 hours one time when the roads closed behind and in front of me on a super windy winter day (this was Idaho, near Wyoming).

As for accomodations, what is your budget? The base/resort area has mostly very high end hotels and one hostel. There are condos at the resort, halfway to town at the Aspens, and in town. I personally think you would get a better sense of life in JH by staying in town. Motels and hotels abound. There is a bus that runs the 20 minutes between town and the resort on a regular basis. Town is where the locals live for the most part. The Village is for tourists, mostly.

Restaurant wise, check out Teton Thai (two minute shuttle to the parking area at the base) at the resort and the Village Cafe (locals) or the Spur for Apres. On the hill there are only two places, Casper and the top of the Gondola, with three options there. At the base a few more, but mostly inside hotels. In town the options are endless so let me know what you like and are looking for. Three main grocery stores in town. One on the way to the resort. Smaller ones here and there.

Let me know when you get in to town and we can hopefully grab a few runs or a beer together.

Have fun planning!

ozgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks Alta girl!

And snowy monkey it would be awesome to grab a beer and even ski a run or two! So much detail in your post.

Cheap and cheerful without it being a hostel us what we are looking for. And yes was thinking Jackson toiwn for accom. Would rather be almongst the locals!

I just got to Jindabyne after our regular 5hr one way drive and all my friend and I could talk about was thus trip.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For town hotels/motels I would make sure that you are close to town square and not south of town by the HWY 22 intersection as that is really too far to walk and enjoy what town has to offer, though again, buses run regularly. In town, some motels on Pearl are probably quieter than on Broadway. Though buses go past both. Let me know when you narrow it down and I can let you know my two cents on the ones you like.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If your time/budget allows it, check out smaller ski areas like Powder Mountain or that new one in Utah, Cherry Hill. Alpine Meadows is on the MCP, maybe you can fit that one in while you're in Tahoe.

What fun! I love road trips. By the way, the drive from Tahoe to Mammoth is very pretty, takes 3 hrs or so. with lots of interesting and scenic highlights along the way (hint hint).

Christy

Angel Diva
A day lost to driving is a day lost to flying.

Not in the case of SLC to Reno. The airport is relatively close to Snowbird and it's a short flight so you could easily ski all day, fly that evening, then ski at Squaw all the next day. You really do lose a day of skiing by doing that drive across the Nevada desert.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna