• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Review: 2016 Volkl Kenja

I have a feeling you'll get on the 163 and go even FASTER! :race:

I think you are right.................. I think I may be down to a 2 ski quiver. My new atomic redster slalom/gs ski that I haven't bought yet and the new Kenja.

Very stoked. Expect another rave review after I get my hands on a 163cm.

:yahoo:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think you are right.................. I think I may be down to a 2 ski quiver. My new atomic redster slalom/gs ski that I haven't bought yet and the new Kenja.

Very stoked. Expect another rave review after I get my hands on a 163cm.

:yahoo:
If you can, read the Realskiers review on their website. They kind of NAIL how this ski is, including saying it'll take an aspiring intermediate and make her into an advanced skier :smile:

If you can, read the Realskiers review on their website. They kind of NAIL how this ski is, including saying it'll take an aspiring intermediate and make her into an advanced skier :smile:

I felt that way about my current Kenja so stoked that its gotten even better.... I will check out those reviews.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I felt that way about my current Kenja so stoked that its gotten even better.... I will check out those reviews.
I stand corrected, the review that stated what I said was on another site. Trying to find it, but Realskiers LOVED it either way:
The Kenja is one of the last iconic Völkls to go through the modernization process that inevitably added rocker to what was once a traditional, fully cambered baseline. Being the youngest child can have its benefits, for Völkl learned from its elder siblings that retaining a soupcon of camber underfoot accented the agility that makes the new Kenja feel responsive despite the often energy-sapping presence of tip and tail rocker.

“The changes to this ski are all good,” reassures The Boot Doctors’ Galena Gleason. “Nimble and easy to initiate, yet it charges. I was blown away by how stable [it was] at speed.” While Galena was describing the new Kenja, she could have written the same words about its progenitors, implying that the latest iteration has improved without losing the essential properties that made the Kenja practically a brand unto itself among women’s skis.

The 2016 Kenja has a little more surface area to assist flotation off-piste, plus a bit of a boost to its tail dimensions, which helps it see a carved turn through to completion. Both alterations are beneficial to average skiers, but the Kenja sill saves her best moves for the experts who, like Galena, know how to tilt and push her to extract the most from her potential.

If there’s a condition the Kenja can’t master, it probably doesn’t involve snow. If you’re an advanced to expert woman who skis everything the patrol will open, you should own a pair of these skis.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Wow. Do I need to look at the 2016's? Anyone want to by the 2022-2012 non rockered very stiff 149??? With Salomon z10 titanium bindings?

Had my 2015 Kenjas out today and had a great time. I have had these for over a year now so perhaps I am just used to them but they turn and get on edge so easy. Paul did a great job on my edges. I wasn't going as fast on these as the new ones yesterday. I will have to ski the new Kenjas in a 163 and then take mine out for a true comparison. Still stoked on new Kenjas but will to taken them out again in the right length to really be sure.

My first thoughts are the new Kenja are more playful, softer snow biased and hold a decent edge But my last year's Kenja hold a better edge on new england ice and hard pack.

I am still pro new Kenja cause even my kenja isn't my ice ski anyway. I have a carver for that. So long as the new Kenja holds a respectable edge that's more than enough for me.

Last edited:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
These skis have given me the confidence to be so much more adventurous. We really haven't had any new snow save for a rain/snow event last week, in almost 3 weeks. So, off-piste is challenging, although holding up pretty well. Now, even earlier this season, off-piste was not somewhere I'd venture AT ALL. Today, I was hunting for it, for spots I could fiddle around in it, and boy was it fun! I was scouting spots from the lifts that I could go hit, and hit them I did, and ski them well I also did! I also consistently skied right at 40mph (that's WAY fast for me) with a new record of 42mph. I have to add I was skiing alone all day, too. So the fact that I was confident enough to venture into tougher territory for me while alone says a lot.

Seriously, hero skis! :banana:

jgj

Diva in Training
Just got back from Utah where I skied with my 23 year old son who is an expert skier. He insisted we hike to find the better steeps and snow conditions. I was thrilled with the Kenjas performance. My confidence in these skis in variable snow conditions, steeps and bumps couldn't be higher. My son clocked his speed at 52 on the groomers and I was right on his tail (it's been along time since that has happened). These skis are happy to slow down, ski fast, ski crud, hardpack-it's all good-no it's great. Waiting for it to snow again to check them out in powder. Love, love , love these skis!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Okay maybe it's time to sell my Kenjas since they are in demand.. 149 2011-2012 Kenjas with Salomon z10 titanium bindings....

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just got back from Utah where I skied with my 23 year old son who is an expert skier. He insisted we hike to find the better steeps and snow conditions. I was thrilled with the Kenjas performance. My confidence in these skis in variable snow conditions, steeps and bumps couldn't be higher. My son clocked his speed at 52 on the groomers and I was right on his tail (it's been along time since that has happened). These skis are happy to slow down, ski fast, ski crud, hardpack-it's all good-no it's great. Waiting for it to snow again to check them out in powder. Love, love , love these skis!
Yes yes yes!
And yes to it snowing again...please. This dry spell is a real bummer.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, I have finally found snow that I don't love these skis in--super heavy cut up powder. Now, I already struggle in chop as it is, but the stiffness of these skis makes them pretty tough to ski in dense chop. I did get them in some untracked today, and they were fine, albeit not surfy but I certainly had fun on them, but in the cut up powder (we got 4"+ overnight) they were not a smooth ride.

Fluffy chop? No problemo. Dense, high moisture chop? No bueno.

Considering I have hmmm about 30 days on them now and have loved them in everything else, I can't complain too much :tongue: But I think I need something a little surfier for the dense chop.

HockeyMom

Diva in Training
Last week I tried the Volkl Kenjas 163 and skied for the whole day at Sunday River. I'll be purchasing these demo skis as soon as they are available (next few weeks at the end of the east ski season here in Maine.) I'm 5'4" 148lbs. I'm a solid intermediate but looking for a ski to help me advance. While they were easy to turn and maneuver right from the start, they weren't an easy ski for me. They are heavier than I'm used to and required me to really pay attention to how I was skiing. It was the first time in years I was sore after skiing (I play hockey several times per week year round.) I was skiing alone so I didn't get too aggressive but when I did get some speed I felt really comfortable that these skis could handle what I want to do. After reading the reviews, I hope that this ski helps me to become the better skier that I want to be.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Last week I tried the Volkl Kenjas 163 and skied for the whole day at Sunday River. I'll be purchasing these demo skis as soon as they are available (next few weeks at the end of the east ski season here in Maine.) I'm 5'4" 148lbs. I'm a solid intermediate but looking for a ski to help me advance. While they were easy to turn and maneuver right from the start, they weren't an easy ski for me. They are heavier than I'm used to and required me to really pay attention to how I was skiing. It was the first time in years I was sore after skiing (I play hockey several times per week year round.) I was skiing alone so I didn't get too aggressive but when I did get some speed I felt really comfortable that these skis could handle what I want to do. After reading the reviews, I hope that this ski helps me to become the better skier that I want to be.

Have you had a chance to demo other skis for comparison?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was wondering the same thing. If they weren't an easy ski for you to ski, then I'd try something else. A new ski that you want to grow on should make you smile and feel easy. There are so many great skis out there that would fit that bill for you!

HockeyMom

Diva in Training
I could have demoed other skis that same day but it meant that I would have to stop skiing with them and gone back to the shop which I didn't want to do since I was enjoying them. I demoed a number of skis several years ago and really liked the Volkl Tierra. Bought Affinity Pure because of the $$. My current skis are affinity pure 149 which helped me to increase my skills and confidence but I'm ready for the next step. I'm starting to work as a part time ski instructor so I'm spending a lot more time working on my own skills, abilities and understanding of skiing. To be honest, I've spent many days skiing just a few hours here and a few hours there. I haven't had much opportunities to ski full days, so I'm looking forward to some good skiing next year.

I just know that when i demoed my kenjas i liked them but immediately threw myself into a lesson to help me become comfortable with them but i never found them a lot of work and they ate very easy to ski for me.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I could have demoed other skis that same day but it meant that I would have to stop skiing with them and gone back to the shop which I didn't want to do since I was enjoying them. I demoed a number of skis several years ago and really liked the Volkl Tierra. Bought Affinity Pure because of the $$. My current skis are affinity pure 149 which helped me to increase my skills and confidence but I'm ready for the next step. I'm starting to work as a part time ski instructor so I'm spending a lot more time working on my own skills, abilities and understanding of skiing. To be honest, I've spent many days skiing just a few hours here and a few hours there. I haven't had much opportunities to ski full days, so I'm looking forward to some good skiing next year.
Gotcha, so you DID enjoy them enough to stay on them all day. That's a good thing. And if you skied a full day for the first time in awhile, that'll make you sore for sure. :thumb:

Ok just scored a pair of 2016 Volkl Kenjas in a 170. My normal ski size is 160-165 but I figure with the new kenja being easier to ski, the tip/tail rocker and the fact that I am not a lightweight that I'll be fine with the 170.

Now to dispose of my 2015 163cm Kenjas.................

Or keep em both............ but I don't need to be a ski hoarder so time to swap out the bindings and put my 2015s on the market.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna