• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Review: 2016 Volkl Kenja

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Skied my Kenjas at Stowe this weekend....we had a few inches of dry powder, but there was some scrapy spots. Theses skis really do rock. They are fun on short radius turns in the soft stuff, and they like to carve nice arcs on the groomed. There is no discernable speed limit, but they are easy to slow down and poke around on.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can add mashed potatoes in zero visibility to the list. These skis will poke around as slowly as I want on them, in fact, they are GOOD at it, and are making me a MUCH better skier. My turn shape is improving all the time. Today, took my young daughter up to the top, got off the gondola and couldn't see two feet in front of us for probably 800 vertical down to about mid-mountain. Add to that the snow was soft, sticky, slushy thanks to RAIN that fell overnight AND ridiculously warm temps. Slow, round, compliant, somewhat defensive turns. They nailed it.
:ski2:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Dunno, I thought the same as what @santacruz skier said.
:ski:
Oh no, I still have some seriously hideous moments! But I will say my confidence has gone up 10 fold since getting these skis, and it goes up every time I ski them, particularly in challenging conditions. So, thank you! Lucky me, living the dream!

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh no, I still have some seriously hideous moments! But I will say my confidence has gone up 10 fold since getting these skis, and it goes up every time I ski them, particularly in challenging conditions. So, thank you! Lucky me, living the dream!
I'm late to the party, but congrats on your Kenjas! I am also an owner of Savory 7 and Kenja quiver. I ski Kenjas in almost everything and only take out Savory 7 in the deep and fluffy snow - needs to be over 5-8 inches of fresh to get them out. I live in PA so I don't get to ski that stuff very often, but Savory are a lot of fun in the fluff, beyond that not so much, maybe spring slush is another application. I can ski them fine on soft groomers and cut up powder, but I consider Kenjas way more fun in bumps (shorter and narrower - easier to handle in bumps). I am heavier so Savory feel like a soft ski to me even though they are supposed to be playful but not too soft.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm late to the party, but congrats on your Kenjas! I am also an owner of Savory 7 and Kenja quiver. I ski Kenjas in almost everything and only take out Savory 7 in the deep and fluffy snow - needs to be over 5-8 inches of fresh to get them out. I live in PA so I don't get to ski that stuff very often, but Savory are a lot of fun in the fluff, beyond that not so much, maybe spring slush is another application. I can ski them fine on soft groomers and cut up powder, but I consider Kenjas way more fun in bumps (shorter and narrower - easier to handle in bumps). I am heavier so Savory feel like a soft ski to me even though they are supposed to be playful but not too soft.
They are two completely different skis, aren't they! I can't get over the number of Savory 7's I see here being used as daily drivers. I think I try to ski them too hard and too forward, but I really do need to get out on them again.

Did you bring both skis on your trip west?

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They are two completely different skis, aren't they! I can't get over the number of Savory 7's I see here being used as daily drivers. I think I try to ski them too hard and too forward, but I really do need to get out on them again.

Did you bring both skis on your trip west?
Yes, they are! Yeah, I wouldn't want to have Savory 7 as daily drivers, even in UT - too soft of a ski for me. They don't like to be skied hard - require more of a balanced light touch if that makes sense IMHO. I did bring both skis on the Alta/Aspen trip and Savory 7 were super fun in the fresh fluff that fell the weekend I arrived to SLC. I skied Kenjas 2-3 day after the storm though and definitely feel more confident on Kenjas in bumps, like I mentioned before. Although Kenjas being better in bumps for me might be a mileage thing - I don't ski Savory 7 as often and Savory are pretty nimble, as much as a long, fat ski can be. I think for someone lighter/differerent ski style Savory 7 might be a suitable daily driver in CO or UT where snow is light.

Honestly I am considering selling Savory 7 at some point and either get by without powder skis, rent fatties on trips out west if lucky to catch a big dump of snow, or get either Mantras or Auras instead. I demoed Mantras on soft groomers and loved them last season.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, they are! Yeah, I wouldn't want to have Savory 7 as daily drivers, even in UT - too soft of a ski for me. They don't like to be skied hard - require more of a balanced light touch if that makes sense IMHO. I did bring both skis on the Alta/Aspen trip and Savory 7 were super fun in the fresh fluff that fell the weekend I arrived to SLC. I skied Kenjas 2-3 day after the storm though and definitely feel more confident on Kenjas in bumps, like I mentioned before. Although Kenjas being better in bumps for me might be a mileage thing - I don't ski Savory 7 as often and Savory are pretty nimble, as much as a long, fat ski can be. I think for someone lighter/differerent ski style Savory 7 might be a suitable daily driver in CO or UT where snow is light.

Honestly I am considering selling Savory 7 at some point and either get by without powder skis, rent fatties on trips out west if lucky to catch a big dump of snow, or get either Mantras or Auras instead. I demoed Mantras on soft groomers and loved them last season.
You got so lucky on your trip out here! Some of the best snow of the season! Now, it's warm and sloppy and nasty. I hope the powder returns so I can get out on the Savory's again to see if I can handle them better. In the meantime, the Kenjas have been fun in everything :becky:

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You got so lucky on your trip out here! Some of the best snow of the season! Now, it's warm and sloppy and nasty. I hope the powder returns so I can get out on the Savory's again to see if I can handle them better. In the meantime, the Kenjas have been fun in everything :becky:
Yep, they can handle pretty much anything. :smile: I wonder about differences about new and old models, I doubt I'll be able to demo the new ones though, oh well.

I am now on a mission to demo the new Kenja more than ever. Not sure my home mountain has them in a 163 but I think Mount Snow might.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I really can't get over how good these skis are. They nail it in so many conditions. Truly a one ski quiver ski. Fun, playful, yet powerful. After taking a race clinic last year, I appreciate how well these skis can carve on edge, but still are so easy to smear.

I really can't get over how good these skis are. They nail it in so many conditions. Truly a one ski quiver ski. Fun, playful, yet powerful. After taking a race clinic last year, I appreciate how well these skis can carve on edge, but still are so easy to smear.

Kinda thinking the new Kenjas could be an ideal combination of my last years Kenjas and perhaps the Elysians. I have this idea in my head now that I can get rid of 2 pairs of skis and replace them with these lovely 2016s

Think I'll go talk to Dimitri at the demo tent this saturday and see if he has them in a 163.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree 100%. I don't even think twice which skis to bring along anymore. Tuesday were some of the craziest (and crappiest in places) conditions, and I never wavered, just trusted these skis to get me down the hill. They have helped my confidence and elevated my game so much!!

Ok demoed the Kenja today. They didn't have it a 163 so I had the 156 but I have to say it didn't feel like it skied short the size actually felt ok. I really like the new Kenja. My quick tidbits

turns super easy,
being forward on tips ALL the time isn't necessary, it tolerates some back seat skiing
just a dream to ski on
wider so handled the softer snow with aplomb but still had some teeth so when I encountered some ice and hard pack it gripped right in there.
I found myself going faster than I normally do and just went, didn't stop as much

Its hard to say if what I experienced is because it was a shorter size than what I am used to or if this is truly how the ski is but I liked what I experienced today.

I will take my Kenjas out tomorrow, have last years for a true comparison. I will still likely take a 163 for a ride when I hit Mount Snow in a couple weeks but my initial impressions is this is a great ski. I think this could be a viable replacement for my Kenja and Elysian.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna