• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Pretty Faces only - NSFW

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's obviously contradictory. How annoying this is coming from a woman.

Well, don't be too sure it wasn't the reporter getting it wrong. By the context, it seems that what was meant was "The role of the athlete is secondary to the role of the female." I would bet $$ it was just a misquote. These things happen.

klar

Certified Ski Diva
Hello Divas.

thanks to all who commented in support of that blogpost from last spring. It got much more attention than I expected when I first posted it and some well known worldtour riders voiced their support and complained to the FWT organizers. The result was that the commentating got a lot better at later events in our area (as far as I know) and the guys who do the talking really did change their tone. I thought it was pretty cool how that turned out, all in all.

somewhat odd article on tgr that may be relevant to this thread (the responses to the article are more interesting than the article itself)
https://www.tetongravity.com/story/...-need-to-go-to-the-mountains-with-other-women

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hello Divas.

thanks to all who commented in support of that blogpost from last spring. It got much more attention than I expected when I first posted it and some well known worldtour riders voiced their support and complained to the FWT organizers. The result was that the commentating got a lot better at later events in our area (as far as I know) and the guys who do the talking really did change their tone. I thought it was pretty cool how that turned out, all in all.

somewhat odd article on tgr that may be relevant to this thread (the responses to the article are more interesting than the article itself)
https://www.tetongravity.com/story/...-need-to-go-to-the-mountains-with-other-women

Yeah, I read that ... I was a little surprised by the negative reply that it got, as it seemed to be sort of a silly and only half (maybe 3/4) serious article to begin with. Sorta like the "#### Skier Girls Say" video.

I mean, to me it seemed like she was saying, "Hey, you know, do what you want, we got nuthin' to prove anymore, because we already have proved we can hang. So don't be embarrassed about wanting good snacks and lots of selfies -- you can stop acting tough, you are tough." I think that is progress. So that was my take, honestly.

klar

Certified Ski Diva
Yeah, I read that ... I was a little surprised by the negative reply that it got, as it seemed to be sort of a silly and only half (maybe 3/4) serious article to begin with. Sorta like the "#### Skier Girls Say" video.

I mean, to me it seemed like she was saying, "Hey, you know, do what you want, we got nuthin' to prove anymore, because we already have proved we can hang. So don't be embarrassed about wanting good snacks and lots of selfies -- you can stop acting tough, you are tough." I think that is progress. So that was my take, honestly.

Yes, the outrage some people express seems a little extreme but I do find it a bit unfortunate that she seems to be mixing the silly and the serious points. I think these things work better if all silly (like the *** Skier Girls Say video) or all serious. As it is, it feels like there are no more relevant reasons to adventure with women than "girls like to take selfies". The different responses people have to it are interesting to watch.

I really like this article, by comparison (probably been posted here?)
https://www.adventure-journal.com/2...-hating-successful-women-holds-everyone-back/

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, the outrage some people express seems a little extreme but I do find it a bit unfortunate that she seems to be mixing the silly and the serious points. I think these things work better if all silly (like the *** Skier Girls Say video) or all serious. ...

Yeah, probably a personality thing, too. I don't think I've ever been either 100% serious or 100% silly in my life, I'm always mixing the two... :-)

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, probably a personality thing, too. I don't think I've ever been either 100% serious or 100% silly in my life, I'm always mixing the two... :-)

Yep...best way to be! "Life is too important to be taken seriously." (Oscar Wilde)

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I really like this article, by comparison (probably been posted here?)
https://www.adventure-journal.com/2...-hating-successful-women-holds-everyone-back/

Klar, thanks for posting. Good to see you here.

The article you refer to has a lot of validity. It's a shame that in many cases, women can't seem to support other women who make it to the top. Probably there is some jealousy involved, as well as the damned if we do, damned it we don't factor that's mentioned in the piece. But that's not what I want to address here. Instead, I just want to say that I've also seen cases where women can be extremely supportive of one another, too -- at least in the small microcosm of Diva World. Here's an example: a few years ago, a number of us skied through a terrain park during one of our annual Diva trips. When one or the other of us attempted a feature, the others stood by and actually cheered. I've seen this sort of thing on a number of our other trips, too and it's great to see how women can -- and do -- encourage one another. On the forum, too; there isn't a lot of one-upmanship and dragging each other down. It's more along the lines of so you need help? What can I do? Not that it's all hearts and flowers. And not that you don't see that on other forums, too. I'm only addressing what I see here.

As I said initially, this has nothing to do with the female criticism we see talked about in the Adventure Journal article . But it is worth noting that women can also stand together and support one another, at least in our little corner of the world.

BTW, are you in Austria? Because I'm in Vienna RIGHT NOW!!!

Last edited:

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I liked 'em both!

But I seem to be getting sillier, the older I get. Eventually you just say #### it and try to laugh at everything, you know?

mustski

Angel Diva
I actually like the first article better. It was more honest and less of "the usual psycho babble." It sounded like real women on a real day. Sorry, but if taking the time to giggle with friends, eat good food, or take selfies in the middle of adventure makes us "less serious skiers" than the guys ... well we need to stop skiing with the guys! If we can't relax and be ourselves, while being badass, when can we?

As for the negative, judgmental comments on the first article ... :jealous:

klar

Certified Ski Diva
I actually like the first article better. It was more honest and less of "the usual psycho babble." It sounded like real women on a real day. Sorry, but if taking the time to giggle with friends, eat good food, or take selfies in the middle of adventure makes us "less serious skiers" than the guys ... well we need to stop skiing with the guys! If we can't relax and be ourselves, while being badass, when can we?

As for the negative, judgmental comments on the first article ... :jealous:

as I said before, I find it really interesting how differently people react to it. I have been trying to put a finger on why the first version bothered me and I think part of it is that in my circle of ski buddies, the people I giggle most with when skiing, the person who takes the most selfies and also the person with the best snacks are all male. None of those things are something I specifically look for when skiing with other women, the "sillyness" and good humour they imply really are a requirement for anybody I ski with on the regular.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maybe the article should have been called, why you shouldn't have outdoor adventures with Type A people ;-)

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
2. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that's a woman on the latest Warren Miller poster

I apologize if someone already replied to this, but yes, you are correct. That is Jess McMillan. She rips, she is super festive and I have been lucky enough to have her guest coach my ladies in some of the Women's ski camps at our mountain.

Not sure why but I do feel that this is the year of the skier chick making a bit of a major breakthrough in films.

1. TGR's latest film Almost Ablaze features Angel Collinson in the opening sequence absolutely killing it up in AK. She is by far one of the most aggressive skiers I have seen in a long time and a woman. I totally agree with some of the TGR criticisms from previous posts, but in this case they did it right in my opinion. She is one to keep watching.

2. Pretty Faces! First of its kind as far as I know.

3. Warren Miller's latest No Turning Back also features three women ripping lines in AK in their opening sequence. Unfortunately, the other stories in the film with women are more of a traditional and not as palatable, "look how well this girl can ski next to a guy", or worse yet, the rather degrading boy meets girl sequence in MT. Sierra is a very cool person and they did not seem to do her any favors as an athlete in the film.

What I love about these three films is that it was just as fun to watch the women specific ski sequences, which is rare, as it was to watch the men. I attribute this not only to the skiing and the athletes, but to the editing, narration and take of the film makers for each segment. I look forward to the day that extreme ski comps like the FWT (Freeride world tour) are the same. Both in terms of the coverage, commentators and type of skiing/riding that is taking place on the mountain.

Grateful to all the women athletes that are constantly setting the bar so much higher and helping the younger generations get recognition and funding for their pursuits in the mountains.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Mod note:

The posts about TGR and its reaction to a feminist video have now been moved to its own thread. You can find it here.

mustski

Angel Diva
Ski Diva's blog post today got me thinking about this again. I would have to say that the Lange ski boot ads are highly effective. After all, we have focused a lot of discussion on these ads. If it were just some super model in ski boots and lingerie, I doubt we would have given it a second thought. We are only talking about them because Julia is an incredible skier and that is what make the ad controversial. It's an interesting twist really - at least to me.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just bought new boots. The Lange boots fit me surprisingly well right out of the box, but I dislike Lange's ads so much, I chose instead to go with Salomon boots that also fit me well. I can't support the company when I have such strong feelings about the sexualization of women to sell a product.

RX2SKI

Certified Ski Diva
Two things come to mind.

1) I think we have some Divas from Europe here. Europe reveres it ski athletes. Do the woman pose in skimpy stuff?

2) the picture with the Lange boots does not appear to be photoshopped. Yea! Athletes!

Skiers fall, and racers fall even harder. Where are her black and blue marks? Nothing makes it into an ad without being photoshopped.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna