• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Not ready for the season to be over; withdrawals starting

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think I'm done with lift-serviced skiing. Probably. And it's not because of the skiing per se, but because I'd really like to ski with DH - but his knees are in pain, so he's not excited to go skiing, especially in spring (summer?) snow. Maybe I'll pull one day in June, just to say I did.

Base Camp Cafe does an awesome BBQ Chicken Salad. Each time I drove past for dinner, they were closed. Not enough people in town to merit opening it. There's a lot to do in the area, besides skiing, so I'm sure you had an enjoyable if non-skiing time.

We had a great trip. Basecamp had a sign that they serve "linner" until 4pm which I thought was cleaver. Guess they close at 4 but you can have a late lunch/early dinner if you can get there by 4. So much to do in mammy. DH loved it and made the comment that we should move here lol. Didn't get to eat at angels because we go in so late from yosemite. Great trip. Should have bought this great winter jacket I saw at the ralph lauren store but didn't, still thinking about it. Maybe they will ship it to me. Back home now.

Tomorrow is June 1st and we are that much closer to fall/winter. Time to get back into the swing of things.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think Switzerland is better positioned than my beloved below sea level, dike infested country. I'd trade, but for what we do, The Netherlands pays a lot better. We even looked at Norway, and cost of living there is way higher, but the wage was the same.

Me and mini diva #1 will be spending a week in Antibes 2nd week in August, while mini diva #2 is a theater camp in London. I'm really looking forward to it!!! Can even get an quick Alps fix if necessary!

I am staying away from South of France in August if it can be helped at all ))) Had a friend visiting last year and she talked me into driving to Bandol beginning of August but at least listened to me when I suggested we should go on Sunday rather than Friday or Saturday - so narrowly avoided the 1500 km-long traffic jam. Still it was very busy everywhere, so lesson learned.

HeidiInTheAlps

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We are flying, and plan to walk mostly, apart from the odd day trip... and I'm stuck traveling school holidays, don't have much of a choice.

Strawberry picking starts down here at our local farm so time to load up on strawberries. Our goal is to pick an insane amount and then freeze most of them. We use them throughout the year and if its a good picking month they last almost until the following June. This usually lasts for the month of June so we try to pick every weekend schedule permitting.

This past weekend was filled with farmers market, wine tasting, strawberry picking and got our garden set up on sunday so I got a little dirty. Another weekend down My fog lights and my left tail light is out on my jeep so actually thinking of watching a youtube video or two and taking this on myself.

Well my left big toenail that was looking rather black has finally decided it no longer wants to be on my toe. I have now lost both big toenails. Fortunately the left big toe didn't require minor surgery by my ever so careful pedicurist and just came off on its own without any pain. Didn't know it was loose until it got caught on the bed sheets and from there I gently broke it free by the tiny thread in which it was hanging on. I have now lost 2 toenails from this past season; a sign of a good ski season right lol.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wonder if toenails serve any purpose at all anymore for humans.

I wonder if toenails serve any purpose at all anymore for humans.

Well when they are there and not falling off your feet they serve as lovely platforms for pretty toenail polish.

Looking ahead to the calendar for this coming season doing some planning and see that DH has an eye doctor appointment on Saturday, December 19th. Is it wrong that I told him I'd like to reschedule this to either mid week or November before the seasons starts lol. My addiction has reached a new level as I've ever asked him to do this previously.

Well, sorry to break your bubble, but it means your boots don't fit properly.

No worries and no bubble broken trust me. I was being mostly sarcastic there.

I am likely getting new boots in the fall.

I had my heel lifts done properly in March and also figured out around this time that if I wear my smartwool slime green socks I have no pain. I was going to try to get through another season by just wearing this specific sock but really thinking I am tired of messing around so will shop around for boots in the fall.

My feet are 2 different sizes and while I have been told being sized down to my smaller foot is the right idea I have learned the specific boots I was fitted in weren't ideal for me. I now have a couple specific boot recommendations based on how my foot sits in the boot so I'll start there. This is my second pair of boots in 2 years but the first time I've lost toenails.

Last edited:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Once one gets into the close-fit-scenario of performance ski boots, foot size differences really start screaming. I'm about 1/4-1/2 size smaller on one foot, it really is a PITA. Yes, conventional wisdom is fit the smaller foot, blow out the other boot. I tend to go halfway between the 2, which probably is very stupid, as then neither boot is right. :doh: It's a never-ending process...

Once one gets into the close-fit-scenario of performance ski boots, foot size differences really start screaming. I'm about 1/4-1/2 size smaller on one foot, it really is a PITA. Yes, conventional wisdom is fit the smaller foot, blow out the other boot. I tend to go halfway between the 2, which probably is very stupid, as then neither boot is right. :doh: It's a never-ending process...

I am 23.5 in my left foot and 24 in my right. My boots are 23.5. I never had my right foot blown out, I will perhaps have this done with my next pair. One of the guys in the ski shop got new race boots and his feet were on fire during the break in. He could only ski for a few runs to an hour before he had to come in and rest. Now they are broken in and fit like a glove and he's very happy.

I have barely had these boots for a year, maybe I'll sneak in under the warranty expiration like last time and get a refund again. When I switched from my Rossi beginner boots to my atomics the atomics were cheaper and I actually got money back. I really don't care about that, I'll gladly pay money for a more expensive pair of boots if the misery might possibly be less.

I feel like I am a lot more informed now so I can go in there and say what I would like, what my feet would like and what boots have been recommended to me based upon foot position, etc.

I don't want to lose toenails again.................

Last edited:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I skied just a few runs yesterday in the slush, and the "sixth toe" bone that sticks out on my right foot was quite unhappy. I'm sure the softening of the boot from the warmth didn't help. I got these liners a couple of years ago to replace the originals in my old boots, and now have worn them through this season - I'm thinking I need to get new liners next season. Meh.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I skied just a few runs yesterday in the slush, and the "sixth toe" bone that sticks out on my right foot was quite unhappy. I'm sure the softening of the boot from the warmth didn't help. I got these liners a couple of years ago to replace the originals in my old boots, and now have worn them through this season - I'm thinking I need to get new liners next season. Meh.

The sixth toe bone in both of my feet are soooooo painful in warm spring temps, but perfectly fine during the normal season.. So annoying..

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The sixth toe bone in both of my feet are soooooo painful in warm spring temps, but perfectly fine during the normal season.. So annoying..
Thanks. That's useful - maybe I'll wait it out rather than risking messing with it too much (or spending money on liners).

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, sorry to break your bubble, but it means your boots don't fit properly.

This is weird. I have no complains about the way my boots fit, yet this season and the one before that were the first two seasons in 5 that I managed to keep my big toe nails. And also these were the only two instances when I knew I had a toe bang - not when it happened but later at night because of pain - nothing that a couple of ibuprofens couldn't sort so I was skiing the next day. Bruises were fairly big - and on both toes too - one season on left foot, another one on the right foot, yet somehow there were no consequences. There is no system to it at all - my right foots is somewhat smaller, so this boot is slightly looser, but the left one has always been perfect - yet it was happening to different feet each season. On the other hand, seasons when I ended up losing a toe I didn't have a clue that could have banged my toes. And I had a great season each time, so losing a toe was a small price :smile:

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks. That's useful - maybe I'll wait it out rather than risking messing with it too much (or spending money on liners).

My feet always feel a bit weird in boots during spring time and most people I spoke to about this said it was not uncommon. Nothing dramatic, but this is the time when I can't wait to get the boots off my feet, and part of the reason why I ski terrace to terrace in spring time once most things worth skiing become thoroughly unenjoyable )))

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna