• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Not ready for the season to be over; withdrawals starting

Well RIP to the toenail on the big toe of my right foot. When I took my nail polish off post skiing it was a solid black so I thought its fate wasn't good. Well tonight as I was putting my socks on for the gym I noticed the toenail was loose. Dammit, was hoping it would grow out before this happened. I suppose it could have been much worse given my toe issues with my ski boots. If this happened a few weeks ago I would have been done skiing even earlier. Blessing in disguise right lol.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I didn't quite beat the 15 min. time period allowed for editing the above post.. So here are a couple of photos from our recent trip to Mammoth.

With cold temps and a couple of snowy days last week, Mammoth is finally maintaining its minimal base. It looks like this week will continue to be cold and snowy. I expect closing weekend to be as skiable as this past week we spent up there. I actually skied 7/8 days and raised my season total to 45. Hopefully it will be up to 48 after Memorial weekend. :ski:

Last edited:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
With cold temps and a couple of snowy days last week, Mammoth is finally maintaining its minimal base. It looks like this week will continue to be cold and snowy. I expect closing weekend to be as skiable as this past week we spent up there. I actually skied 7/8 days and raised my season total to 45. Hopefully it will be up to 48 after Memorial weekend. :ski:
:clap::yahoo: You guys deserve this!

Jenny

Angel Diva
I'm envious that a bad year for you (number of days-wise) is still soooooo many more days than a good year for me! Can't wait 'til retirement . . .

I guess DH's leg is holding up pretty well.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Well RIP to the toenail on the big toe of my right foot. When I took my nail polish off post skiing it was a solid black so I thought its fate wasn't good. Well tonight as I was putting my socks on for the gym I noticed the toenail was loose. Dammit, was hoping it would grow out before this happened. I suppose it could have been much worse given my toe issues with my ski boots. If this happened a few weeks ago I would have been done skiing even earlier. Blessing in disguise right lol.
I am always "losing" toenails…..ski boots, hiking boots (after 20 mile hikes) ….

I am always "losing" toenails…..ski boots, hiking boots (after 20 mile hikes) ….

Last summer I broke a toenail but didn't realize until I started to run on the treadmill when I felt a big owie and had to stop running. Sat down, pulled my shoe/socks off and yep sure enough bye bye toenail. Man that hurt and ended my running for the evening. I have my toe now bandaged up hoping to keep the nail attached by a thread until it grows a tiny bit until I can pull it off without having my entire nail gone. I am bummed because I am getting a pedicure this friday before I go on vacation and not sure what I am doing with le toe now. I may have to bandage it for vacation and tell everyone not to look at my toeseys for a for a few days. Maybe a hello kitty bandaid or something to dress it up a little bit.

I didn't quite beat the 15 min. time period allowed for editing the above post.. So here are a couple of photos from our recent trip to Mammoth.

Love the pictures. May you guys have an awesome next few days. Post more pictures.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Last summer I broke a toenail but didn't realize until I started to run on the treadmill when I felt a big owie and had to stop running. Sat down, pulled my shoe/socks off and yep sure enough bye bye toenail. Man that hurt and ended my running for the evening. I have my toe now bandaged up hoping to keep the nail attached by a thread until it grows a tiny bit until I can pull it off without having my entire nail gone. I am bummed because I am getting a pedicure this friday before I go on vacation and not sure what I am doing with le toe now. I may have to bandage it for vacation and tell everyone not to look at my toeseys for a for a few days. Maybe a hello kitty bandaid or something to dress it up a little bit.
No worries… I have had several pedicures sans toe nails… They just paint over the nail bed. Even asked my doctor and was told it is fine… No bandages necessary.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
@Jenny, thanks for asking. DH is doing great. He has been skiing smart, only every other day. He has, however, returned to his speedy former self.

I am so thankful that he can ski, and that he did not reinjure himself. We are looking forward to a great season next winter.

He is done for the season. If I ski next weekend, it will be with @VickiK.

When do our diva friends in New Zealand and those parts start skiing so we can live vicariously through them. June I think?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Ditto. I don’t even have to go through the blood clot/black stage anymore. Do this enough years, year afer year, decade after decade — and the nails become, how shall I say, a bit strange? Perhaps psycho is a better word? They grow back less robustly after every injury, and it takes little to finish them off. Nail beds and matrices are a mess, margins are gone. Well, you get the picture. Ain’t pretty.

So I now rate my ski season based on the number of toenails that I lost. This was a low-average season: 4. 5 is average. 6 is a big one.

Permanent removal is an insurance and ambulation nightmare. (I tried it once, on ONE nail, on ONE margin. OMG.) Pass on that, thanks. No one cares about it but me - and I can manage.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Ditto. I don’t even have to go through the blood clot/black stage anymore. Do this enough years, year afer year, decade after decade — and the nails become, how shall I say, a bit strange? Perhaps psycho is a better word? They grow back less robustly after every injury, and it takes little to finish them off. Nail beds and matrices are a mess, margins are gone. Well, you get the picture. Ain’t pretty.

So I now rate my ski season based on the number of toenails that I lost. This was a low-average season: 4. 5 is average. 6 is a big one.

Permanent removal is an insurance and ambulation nightmare. (I tried it once, on ONE nail, on ONE margin. OMG.) Pass on that, thanks. No one cares about it but me - and I can manage.
This is relatively new to me (the last few years)…..doesn't even hurt. Just all of a sudden, the toe nail is gone. This year only about 4 or 5 - one, no two from a Wharf to Wharf 10k, one from ski boots, one from hiking boots…. oh and my baby toe nail is virtually non existent. Ain't pretty getting older….. at least everything else works. Oh , except 2 bulging discs and an annular tear in my lower back!

Jilly

Staff member
I've been skiing....way to long....and have only once had a black nail. I keep them clipped for the winter. My boots have always been fitted right for length (maybe not width, but right length). The time I did get toe bang, was from a boot that had too much volume. The toe area was too high. It was time for new boots. I do have a thick toe nail on one big toe. I think that was the one that was 1/2 black. Didn't lose it either.

What am I doing right? Or wrong....

Jenny

Angel Diva
Don't question it - just keep doing (or not doing) it! All these toenail tales freak me out. If mine kept falling off I don't know that I'd continue doing whatever caused it. The only one I ever lost was due to a canoe paddle incident at Girl Scout camp when I was about 10 or 11. And that was traumatic enough for me.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've never had a black nail, but lost a big toe nail once in each of the previous seasons. This season, miraculously, I seem to have avoided it.

@skibum4ever : talk to you this evening.

@surfsnowgirl : Caltrans Report: SR 120 - [IN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREA & SIERRA NEVADA] NO TRAFFIC RESTRICTIONS ARE REPORTED FOR THIS AREA.

Thank you :smile:. Looking forward to the drive. In all my years in Cali I've never been on the tioga pass.

I currently have my "loose" toenail bandaged up with a big bandaid. I could pull it off but it looks a little frightening under there so I'll just keep her covered up until it naturally falls off. That's my plan any way. It doesn't hurt right now but could potentially hurt if my nail comes off so I'll try and see how long I can prolong it. Maybe it will grow out enough where I can pull it off and not have pain. Guess this toe thingy is rather common eh. My right foot is my bigger foot with the loose toenail is my bigger foot and the one that tend sto suffer in my ski boots cause she sized me down. I skied harder this season than ever before so I guess I should be grateful I only had one toe casualty.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna