• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

New skis for teenage daughters - advice?

IowaMom

Diva in Training
After more discussion and research, DD A. agreed that the Roxy Bliss boot is a better boot for her than the Roxy Swell boot. At first I was concerned about the stiffer flex (90 vs. 60), but I think she'll be fine with it. Besides, that's the boot that goes with the ski. Now I have to order the Bliss boot, but not until I take back the Swell boot.

Also, DD E's Dynastar new ski's arrived. They are perfect except for a small dent in the ptex at the front of one of the skis on the up curve. The dent is about 3/8'' long and 1/8 wide, not very deep. It looks like a small valley. I'm not going to worry about it as I don't think it will impact the way the ski performs.

Thanks again for everyones help and advice.

IowaMom

Diva in Training
Got the Roxy Swell boots returned and ordered the Roxy Bliss boots for DD A. What sold DD A. on the Bliss boots was the description of the Swell boot as a beginner boot. Plus the Bliss boot matches the Bliss skis.

Also, we're going to get to the local ski hill on Sat. to get some turns in. The blizzard that just went through Iowa brought with it some snow and cold. It's finally winter, time to go skiing.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
It sounds like you're almost all set! The dent in the ptex on the Dynastars can be easily repaired. I hope your daughters enjoy the new snow, and the new ski equipment!

IowaMom

Diva in Training
Now the quest has turned to ski pants. DD E. and A. have outgrown their ski pants. Though DD A. can now wear DD E. ski pants, she doesn't want hand-me-downs. DD E. requires certain features on her ski pants and the local sporting goods store doesn't have any womens XS petite sizes with those features. More internet shopping ahead for me, but on the bright side the local hill will have 70% of their terrain open on Sat. (tomorrow). The girls will have to squeeze into their old gear if they want to go skiing.

Have a good week-end!

IowaMom

Diva in Training
DD A.’s Roxy Bliss skis and boots have arrived. She loves them; they are much “cooler” than online pictures – they do look really good together. The Bliss boots are quite a bit stiffer than the Swell boots, as expected, but I’m sure she’ll be able to handle them. I’m glad we took the Swell boots back and ordered the Bliss boots.

Comparing the Roxy Bliss against the Dynastar Exclusive Legend, the Bliss is a stiffer ski, not by much, but definitely a little stiffer. The front of the Dynastar curves inward where as the Bliss has more of a shovel type front tip. The tail of the Dynastar’s curves upward slightly, not a twin tip type tail, but an upsweep none the less. The tail on the Bliss is flat. Width wise the skis are very close from the bindings forward, the nose of the Bliss is wider though. From the bindings back the Dynastar’s are a few mm wider. Speaking of bindings, mechanically the adjustable bindings are identical, but the look and feel of each binding is different. Also the binding plate on the Bliss is longer, which may add to the skis perceived stiffness. The graphics of the Dynastart strike me as gently feminine, whereas the Bliss graphics look a bit more psychedelic.

DD E. skied on the Dynastars last weekend, she did just fine on them. The new boots caused her some pain at first until we got them adjusted just right. This weekend DD A. gets to try out her new Bliss skis and boots. I hope everything goes as well with her as it did with DD E.

Sorry for the tome, but I thought I would share.

IowaMom

Diva in Training
Well, DD A. skied her new Roxy Bliss skis and boots, with matching Bliss poles too. She absolutely loves the boots and skis, and she skis them very, very well. Her first comment was that they are fast. On the first run down she tried to take it easy, but the freshly waxed Bliss skis slid across the snow effortlessly. She was initially surprised by how fast they were on the snow. She said they were a “hundred times” better than the rentals. I was impressed with how fast and graceful she was on them. The Bliss is a very good, if not perfect match for her. And they look “so cool” to boot. She was taking some small jumps at speed and handed everything really well. For me, I’m just so glad she loves the skis and skis them well, at 13 years old no less. I was worried the ski and boots might be too much for her, but they are not. She liked the way the boots felt, no blisters or tight spots. Now I’m afraid it’s only a matter of time before she leaves me in the dust.

Thanks again to everyone, this is a great forum.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna